New here and new to clay

Old May 30th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Default New here and new to clay

Hi,
Actually if you like colors and playing with clay is fun, you are
artistic!

You only need to sand, polish or seal if you want to. Sealing is
considered a good idea if you use metallic powders or leafing foils but
not needed with straight clay. If you sand and polish you get a smooth
shiny look, if not you get the more matte look. There are fans of both
finishes. I personally like sanded or unsanded but don't like varnish
look much.

If you varnish use Varathane, other brands can react to the clay or
stay sticky.

Ingrid

Old May 30th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Hi Cindy
Welcome !.....As for your beads breaking, what type of clay did you use?
Try using a firmer clay such as Premo or Fimo. Baking Temp is important as
well as time. If you don't already have one, invest in a small oven
thermometer to make sure you are hitting the correct temps.

Gin
www.gins-creations.com

Old May 31st 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

I've had Sculpey beads break, as well. I prefer Premo to anything else
I've used, so far. I tried Fimo Soft, but found it too sticky to work
with, left color all over my hands, tools, etc. While Kato clay was
easy to work, I had a bad reaction to the odor. A lot of people don't
even notice it, though (and that was raw clay, not while baking).

Premo has more "heft" to it, too, after baking, than Sculpey does.

Cheers,
Carla
http://www.carliecraftdesigns.com

CindyB wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2006 21:31:17 GMT, "gin's creations"
wrote:

Hi Cindy
Welcome !.....As for your beads breaking, what type of clay did you use?
Try using a firmer clay such as Premo or Fimo. Baking Temp is important as
well as time. If you don't already have one, invest in a small oven
thermometer to make sure you are hitting the correct temps.

Gin
www.gins-creations.com

Thanks! I used Sculpey.

Old May 31st 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Sculpey is the weakest of all the clays...try mixing with some Premo
Base (uncolored premo) to strengthen it and keep the color. Or color mix
your own from a stronger clay such as Fimo, Premo or Kato.

Barbara

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting with site builder and 50 apps? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com.

Old May 31st 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay

Oh yea, you can mix brands - you'll change the colors, of course,
unless you mixing with an uncolored base.

http://www.clayfactoryinc.com/premo.htm is one place that carries the
base. I know a lot of people that love particular Sculpey III colors
use it to strengthen and extend the clay.