Knit stretching

Old November 18th 03, 11:25 PM
Loreen Robbins

Default Knit stretching

I just finished serging a rib knit pullover. It's a poly/cotton blend and I
used a 4 thread overlock. When I pressed the neck seam of the mock
turtleneck, the rib has stretched way out of shape including both the body
and the collar.

Any suggestions? Should I be using a stretch safety stitch instead? I love
the way these knits wear, but I hate to sew them. Seems they have to be
handled very carefully so they don't stretch out of shape.

thanks,

Loreen

Old November 19th 03, 01:53 AM
Kate Dicey

Loreen Robbins wrote:

I just finished serging a rib knit pullover. It's a poly/cotton blend and I
used a 4 thread overlock. When I pressed the neck seam of the mock
turtleneck, the rib has stretched way out of shape including both the body
and the collar.

Any suggestions? Should I be using a stretch safety stitch instead? I love
the way these knits wear, but I hate to sew them. Seems they have to be
handled very carefully so they don't stretch out of shape.

thanks,

Loreen

Does your serger have differential feed? this is ideal for this sort of
thing. If not, one thing you can try is a line of hand basted stay
stitching round the neckline. This will avoid the stretch while you put
the ribbing in place and can be removed afterwards. For this already
done one, try dipping it in water and letting it dry: this can often get
those threads squinched back in place. Just don't press it wile damp or
with a stem iron! You can try puffing steam at it without touching it
with the iron, too.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old November 19th 03, 05:48 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Never iron (press) the seams! Especially if you are using steam because you
are then relaxing the knit....
Cynthia

Old November 24th 03, 11:21 AM
Kyla

A sewing friend I know starches all of her rib knits after preshrinking
them. She swears by it, and wouldn't dare touch them without starching. I
don't have the means to do this, but I would try it if I did.....

--
Kyla
(de-lurking out of boredom...up at 3AM with sleep-resisting kiddos!)