help me!!!! need 9 or 12" goose in a pond

Old August 21st 03, 07:29 PM
Kellie J. Berger

Default help me!!!! need 9 or 12" goose in a pond

All i can find is 15" and the quilting group thinks that is too big, they
want 9 or 12" blocks ... but i need directions too for assembly of *one*
block at the time.... not speed piecing....

finally found quilter's cache and that isn't quite what i need. right
pattern, wrong size and it is for making multiple
blocks.....http://www.quilterscache.com/G_I/Goo...PondBlock.html close
but no cigar....

argh. back to looking
Kellie

Old August 21st 03, 08:24 PM
SandySmth

There is a good reason that you can only find this block in a 15 inch size
rather than 9 or 12 inches. If you look at the block, you will notice that it's
a "5-patch" block. You could make the block a 10 inch finished block, but 9 or
12 inches would be a real pain because of the math involved and you'd end up
having to cut some really strange sizes.

Sandy
in Chapel Hill, NC

Old August 21st 03, 09:22 PM
Kellie J. Berger

okay... 10 inches is fine! is there a pattern/directions anywhere for
that?!

kellie
brain is gone today

Old August 21st 03, 10:01 PM
Pat in Virginia

Kellie:
Sandy gave good information. So you wanna make this block in 10"?
Graph paper is your friend! Draw 10" square and divvy it into 2"
squares, 5 by 5. Now, one at a time draw the correct lines to
produce the shape as in the Cache. I would like to point out that
Marcia's site is fantastic, but Ruby McKim published this block
over 70 years ago and her version was slightly different. I like
it better as I think it is more graceful. In Ruby's version,
which is 15" square, the four corner blocks are divided as HST,
with dark HST pointing toward the center of block, balancing the
neighboring HST nicely. See the Dover Publications edition of 101
Patchwork Patterns, Ruby McKim. NAYY.
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 21st 03, 10:54 PM
Qltanna

Kellie,
Here is a website which has instructions for a 12 1/2 inch block. It does
appear to be for one block at a time.
http://www.quiltwith2sissies.com/freegoosepond.htm

Hope this helps.
Anna in IL
Old August 22nd 03, 12:36 AM
AliceW

Goodie, I finally get to use my "Quilter's Assistant Proportional Scale"!
If you can print out a 15" block, and have access to a copier, copy the 15"
block on the 80% reduction setting. Should produce a copy with a 12" block
on it. Then you can measure the pieces and cut templates. HTH

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

gy.com...

Old August 22nd 03, 03:18 AM
Kellie J. Berger

Forgot to mention that this is for lottery block packages for the ladies to
take home and work on... It will be slightly scrappy (focus fabric
(background?) supplied and they will add their own for the rest. So i
really need instructions for it. If i were just doing it for me i could
draft it in EQ5 and play around til i got what i wanted, but we have all
different levels of quilters, so we need good, solid directions.

Thank you for the responses so far!!! They may just have to deal with 15"
blocks anyway!!!

Kellie
who has had a rotten day and is signing off to go eat the red raspberries i
bought for myself....

Old August 23rd 03, 12:00 AM
Pati Cook

I also figured out that doing a block that finishes at 11 1/4 inches would work.

Make the "rails" 3/4" wide, squares would be 2 1/4" (all finished
measurements). Doing a 10" block makes the rails an odd measurement.

Pati,in Phx

"M. Wetmore" wrote:

Hi Kellie:

I worked out the block in EQ5 for a 10" block. If you would like a
pdf file with the quilt, block, templates and rotary cutting
instructions, just send me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. I made
the quilt horizontal and on-point. It looks really good on-point.

Mardi

PS: Be sure to send the e-mail to my spelled out e-mail address at
the end of this post.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 02:18:22 GMT, "Kellie J. Berger"
wrote:

Forgot to mention that this is for lottery block packages for the ladies to
take home and work on... It will be slightly scrappy (focus fabric
(background?) supplied and they will add their own for the rest. So i
really need instructions for it. If i were just doing it for me i could
draft it in EQ5 and play around til i got what i wanted, but we have all
different levels of quilters, so we need good, solid directions.

Thank you for the responses so far!!! They may just have to deal with 15"
blocks anyway!!!

Kellie
who has had a rotten day and is signing off to go eat the red raspberries i
bought for myself....

"Kellie J. Berger" wrote in message
igy.com...
All i can find is 15" and the quilting group thinks that is too big, they
want 9 or 12" blocks ... but i need directions too for assembly of *one*
block at the time.... not speed piecing....

finally found quilter's cache and that isn't quite what i need. right
pattern, wrong size and it is for making multiple
blocks.....http://www.quilterscache.com/G_I/Goo...PondBlock.html

close
but no cigar....

argh. back to looking
Kellie

Real e-mail address spelled out to prevent spam. mardi at mardiweb dot com.
____________________

My Quilting page: http://www.mardiweb.com/quilts/MardiQuilts.html
Paint Shop Pro tutorials: http://www.mardiweb.com/web
Low-Fat Lifestyle Forum: http://www.mardiweb.com/lowfat

Old August 23rd 03, 01:54 AM
Kellie J. Berger

thanks guys!
The ladies seem to shy away from "patterns" that have only the rotary
cutting measurements or the templates. They want full blown step by step
explanations... which is why i was hoping to find a website or library book
all ready for me!
I have EQ5 and worked it out in there today. Decided that they are just
gonna have to live with 15"... One of the purposes of doing this lottery
block is to try new things anyway... so they'll try a new size.....the
pieces parts of the block are all fairly standard anyway and 10" and 11" (or
whatever other smaller size) finished blocks makes for really tiny piecing!
I will print out some different settings and colorways to choose from and
give them the directions i already have for a 15" block. Gonna give them
all i have on Monday night....
The bags were sposed to be done by another lady and handed out a week from
Tuesday, but she had family crisis, so we're gonna do it for her and aim for
October....I will get a say in fabric choices and the others will do the
cutting and packaging.... which suits me just fine!

thanks again! I'll keep you posted!
Kellie