Knots on Postage Stamps

Old May 24th 05, 01:55 PM
Rodney

Default Knots on Postage Stamps

Further to the Norwegian Reef Knot
here are some more. (courtesy of Klaus from Germany)
(any queries contact )

Here's some knots:

"real knots"
1991 Philippines, Mi-no.2019-2021
1995 Gambia, Mi-no.2084-2089
2002 Lesotho, Mi-no.1832-1836

stamps which happen to show knots:
1914 Italy (parcel stamps ,Mi-no.7-15)
1947 France, Mi-no.786
1960 Norway, Mi-no.446
1962 Norway, Mi-no.482-484
1964 Jordan, Mi-no.485
1964 Norway, Mi-no.525
1968 Norway, Mi-no.567
1968 Norway, Mi-no.573
1970 Norway, Mi-no.600
1972 Grenada,Mi-no.489
1974 Sudan, Mi-no.304-306
1984 GDR, Mi-no.2909
1982 Bolivia, Mi-no.1158
1993 Cyprus, Mi-no.806
1994 Pakistan, Mi-no.915
1998 Ghana, Mi-no.2873
1998 Finland (Aland), Mi-no.144
2002 Maledives, Mi-no.3979
2002 Cuba, Mi-no.4415
2002 Gambia, Mi-no.4786
2002 China Taiwan, Mi-no.2797-2826
2003 China Republic, Mi-no.3424
2004 Hongkong, Mi-no.1143

Old May 24th 05, 05:41 PM
Brian G.

Thank you Rodney! Can you suggest a source where I might find pictures
of these stamps? Yes, I do have a stamp on my forehead. It reads
"Philatelic Twit!".

Cheers - Brian.

Old May 25th 05, 01:47 AM
Rodney

Au contraire!
anyone who lacks information, and enquires after
that information, is no twit, he/she/they are intelligent.

The only avenue you may have, is a rather difficult one
the Numbers Klaus offered are "Mi" for "Minkus Stamp Catalogue"
they may have/have not scan images, I do not know

Otherwise, you have the dates, just go to your local Library
and physically look through the Stamp Catalogue.
If you are a Commonwealth member probably be "Stanley Gibbons"
if you are American then "Scott"

These catalogues may/ may not have images, they usually only show
an image of the lesser value stamp.

Stamp collecting is not that easy huh

Old May 25th 05, 06:56 AM
Rodney

More information of "Knots on Postage Stamps"

Overloaded yet?

These are from Mr.Blair Stannard (ex Scout Leader)

Rodney:

Here are some for you to pass on.

Blair
=============================

Knots on Stamps

(1) GUINEA Issue Date: 1998 [Didn't appear till 1999]

[Boy Scouts] 9 different stamps for Events of the 20th century.
One value reproduces a Norman Rockwell Scout painting of
a Boy Scout teaching a Cub Scout knots. Mentions 1907
as the year the Scouting Movement began plus has Scout
emblem.

Available: minisheet, reported deluxe souvenir sheets for
Scout stamp only.

(2) France 1947

The VI World Jamboree was held in Moisson, France.
The Carrick Bend knot used as the symbol of the Jamboree
and in the commemorative stamp. The knot shows
how all Scouts are tied together as in "One Big Scouting World."
http://www.sossi.org/jamboree/france587.gif

Ten years and World War II had passed since the last World
Jamboree. This Jamboree slogan was the "Jamboree of Peace."

(2a) France 1947 - Post Cards

The post cards for the 6th World Jamboree at Moisson, France
in 1947 are the most noteworthy for the series of 4 cards by Jobert.
Additionally and much better known to stamp collectors were
the variations of the Jamboree carrick knot as a post card and
used as a Maxicard with the official French Jamboree stamp.
http://www.sossi.org/jamboree/francefdc.gif

(3) Aland 1998

Åland Sea Scout Issue
http://www.sossi.org/seascouts/aland.jpg

On 1 August, 1998 the Åland Post issued a stamp with a Sea
Scouting design. The stamp focuses on Satahanka IX, an
international sea scout camp held in Åland that August.
The stamp original, the first day cover and cancel were
designed by the Åland artist Allan Palmer.

The stamp depicts objects associated with Sea Scouting such as
various knots and a compass. The number of active Scouts in
Finland is a little more than 88,000. Co-operation, respect and
mutual understanding across the borders have always been
keywords to the Scouts. The Finnish Boy Scouts and Girl
Guides joined forces in the early seventies and have had
mutual activities ever since. The name of the main Scout
association in Finland is Finlands Scouter r.f., The Guides
and Scouts of Finland.

(4) Zambia 2002

ZAMBIA

20th World Scout Jamboree. Issue Date: 30 July 2002.
3 stamp M/S + S/S. SHEETLET: K3200: Scout Troop Hiking,
K3200: Scout Tying Knots, K3200: Scout engaged in Archery,
K3200: Scout making Fire at a campsite, MINIATURE SHEET:
K8000: Scout Camping, cooking over a camp fire. Designer:
Howard Friedman, Printers: The House of Questa (England).
http://www.sossi.org/jamboree/wj03zambia2.jpg
http://www.sossi.org/jamboree/wj03zambia.jpg

(5) Grenada (Essay)

This is part of a group of five essays in very near to accepted
designs. Handpainted in watercolours, with white & black Letraset for
wordings
and QEII portrait inset. The essay is mounted on card 9x12cm.
Each card was signed by the designer, R. Granger Barrett.

Scouts knotting ropes as for 1c & 35c but artwork is for 15c.
http://www.sossi.org/articles/grenada.jpg

(6) Jordan 1965

The 1965 Jordanian triangle stamps depict Scouts in action;
crossing a river on a foot bridge, first aid practice, exercising,
knot tying, cooking in camp, sailing, and participating in a campfire.
These stamps are known to be available individually, in a sheet,
imperforate, and in a souvenir sheet. The souvenir sheet was
issued imperforate only.

The artistic method used for these stamps is called the
"Scraper Board" method, the drawings for these 1965 stamps
were produced by scraping away the black coated surface
of special art board, which exposes the white areas beneath.

If you examine the stamps closely you will discover that these
illustrations compare dot for dot with the actual stamps except
for slight variations in the reduction and the colored ink have
lost some details.

Sample stamp from set: http://www.sossi.org/art/Jordan490.gif
Centres of various stamps: http://www.sossi.org/art/jordan.gif

Old May 25th 05, 03:43 PM
Brian G.

Rodney,
Thank you for clearing up the Mi in the reference number. "Stanley
Gibbons" ... local library ... got it ... will do! Thanks.

I lucked into this site: http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/stamps/intro.htm
.. I was very interested to see that the "Figure-of-Eight" was the
symbol of unity in Italian stamps. The following pictures are from
clicking the "thumb nails".

In this stamp, http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/stamps/stmp044.htm , the
"Figure-of-Eight" is inscribed on plaques in the collar and forms a
wreath at the bottom.

Here, http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/stamps/stmp069.htm , the
"Figure-of-Eight" stands alone. We also see a lashing on the corners of
the wood pole frame.

Here, http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/stamps/stmp244.htm , we see a
decorative knot starting as a "Figure-of-Eight". Rather than the rope
making a final tuck to complete the "Figure-of-Eight", the rope
continues across the loop and turning back,goes over - under - over to
finish the knot. (clear as mud, picture of stamp is clearer!) I can not
remember seeing this common technique done with a "Figure-of-Eight"
before. I wish I could make out the wreath or medalion at the lower
center of the coat-of-arms (not enough rez in picture for me).

Here, http://www.hist.uib.no/antikk/stamps/stmp102.htm , we see a
"Bow-tie" type knot on the flag pole.

There are several different methods of lashing the fasces shown on
these stamps. I must stop precrastinating and get a piece of ribbon and
try them out.

It was very interesting to find the Date of Issue etc. at the bottom of
the expanded view of the stamps. It helps me place the knot design in
history.

Rodney, please thank "Klaus from Germany" and Mr. Blair Stannard" for
their contributions. Thank you again and I will never be overloaded
seeing knots in stamp designs!

Brian.