Steam Iron Rant

Old September 19th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Steam Iron Rant

I finally had it today with the Rowenta steam iron thing. The third
one I have owned gave up the ghost. I had been suckered into the
purchasing of Rowenta based on the supposed good reputation of that
line of irons. One of them I dropped and it quit qorking. No problem,
my bad. The replacement for that one quit working after about 3 months
and so I replaced it with another one. That one just quit working
after about 4 months of use and I finally said I am out of this game.
I went down Lowes and found an All Metal Black And Decker Classic
steam iron which has none of the features that the Rowenta had and
bought it for $26 and took it home and plugged it in and it does
everything I need an iron to do for quilting. If it fails, I am only
out $26 bucks and I can replace three of them before I get up to the
cost of the Rowenta. I have a steam generator for ironing clothes so
this is just for quilting. Hopefully it will last longer than the
Rowenta. These were not the lower end of the Rowenta line. They were
the Professional model and cost over $100 each. Never again for
Rowenta line of irons. They may have been good at one time but no
longer. Buyer Beware.

John

Old September 19th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I have had a Rowenta for almost 10 years, and it works very well. It
was a gift from my mother -- I about died when I saw how much the
silly things cost! Sheesh! She must have temporarily lost her
mind. If I were to purchase a new iron tomorrow, I would get a small,
light weight, very inexpensive one, since all I ever need to do is a
bit of steam ironing and dry ironing of the more normal fabrics. I
might feel differently if I were a professional seamstress using fancy
fabrics, but

Old September 20th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey John

Like you I too listened to the advertisements of just how great the
Rowena was. I bought one and within 3 months it was spitting and
sizzling everytime I turned it on. I threw it in the trash. Went to
a Street Fair that we have here and found an old GE dry iron for 18
dollars. I bargained the lady down to 9. I have a spray bottle handy
if I need to steam something but have found the old dry iron is still
a workhorse. And this iron was made in 1936. I have Mama's GE iron
that is 40 years old, when I really need a steam iron for things such
as ironing a blouse.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old September 20th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Sep 19, 6:46 pm, John wrote:
[...]

Good for you John - makes sense to me. I've got a Sunbeam with a
metal plate (never the teflony or non-sticky ones again!) It's a
corker and I certainly wouldn't replace it with some over-priced iron
no matter what .... it was priced right too.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old September 20th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Mine leaked too, so I quit using the steam part, then it decided it didn't
want to heat up very well. It sits on my shelf--guess I should pitch it but
it cost more than $100. I replaced it with a $20.00 dry flat Proctor Silex
iron that I've used for 10 years. It finally doesn't heat up very well so
I'm searching for another dry flat bottom iron. I use a spray bottle when I
need steam. These are so much lighter than a steam iron and weight is a big
factor for me.

So don't feel alone

Butterfly

ups.com...

Old September 20th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lavenders@almostonthe road

Do you know, the best iron I've had for quilting is the $7.99 [AUS] job I
bought at Aldi! Because it's small and lightweight it's marvellous for
pressing. When I turn the steam off it stays off! No spitting all over the
place and great for carting around. It dies, I go and get another $8 iron.
I have a bigger and heavier iron for general ironing but I found it to big
to spot iron.

Wendy in Nsw

oups.com...

Old September 20th 07, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 19, 4:46 pm, John wrote:
[...]

I hear ya, John. I got a Rowenta for my birthday. By the time the
warranty
was up, the thing was leaking like a seive. I griped to Rowena about
it,
and they sent a brand new iron. That was back in April. This one is
started the same spitting the other one did prior to serious leaking.
But you know what? We had to clean out a storage building recently. I
found
the iron I'd gotten in my wedding shower 35 years ago. A Sears steam
iron.
That was back in the polyester-double-knit days, and I barely ever
even used it. I don't
know why I even kept it. It had tons of yuck on the soleplate.
( probably scorched
polyester)....I cleaned it, then fired the thing up. O. My. Gosh. It
is an amazing iron
& I love it. It gets hotter than the Rowenta, doesn't spit, and glides
like a dream.
One of those old chrome & black numbers with a fabric-covered cord.
Only drawback is, I have to be *very* diligent about unplugging it,
since it
has zero safety features. (I consider that a "good thing". It irked me
the ironing board after sewing for 5 minutes, and find the stupid
Rowenta had
shut off).

Sherry

Old September 20th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 19, 5:38 pm, Mary wrote:
I have had a Rowenta for almost 10 years, and it works very well. It
was a gift from my mother -- I about died when I saw how much the
silly things cost! Sheesh! She must have temporarily lost her
mind. If I were to purchase a new iron tomorrow, I would get a small,
light weight, very inexpensive one, since all I ever need to do is a
bit of steam ironing and dry ironing of the more normal fabrics. I
might feel differently if I were a professional seamstress using fancy
fabrics, but

Mary, everyone I know who *loves* their Rowenta has had them for
several years. That's why I bought on. It kind of makes me wonder
if the newer ones just aren't as good as the older ones.
Our LQS has about a 10-year-old Rowenta that impressed me so
much, that is why I bought one. Either they are just not good anymore,
or I got 2 lemons in a row.

Sherry

Old September 20th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I love my Rowentas too. I rotate them because I don't properly empty them.
When one gets hissy, I move to the other one. My sweetheart does a bit of
rescue maintenance for the abused one and on we go. They really should be
flushed and emptied and dropping them is not a good thing. However, there's
just nothing like one for heft, high temp, and serious steam. Polly

..
"Lavenders@almostonthe road" wrote in message
Do you know, the best iron I've had for quilting is the $7.99 [AUS] job I
bought at Aldi! Because it's small and lightweight it's marvellous for
pressing. When I turn the steam off it stays off! No spitting all over
the place and great for carting around. It dies, I go and get another $8
iron. I have a bigger and heavier iron for general ironing but I found it
to big to spot iron.

Wendy in Nsw

oups.com...

Old September 20th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Sep 19, 11:09 pm, "Polly Esther"
wrote:
I love my Rowentas too. I rotate them because I don't properly empty them.
When one gets hissy, I move to the other one. My sweetheart does a bit of
rescue maintenance for the abused one and on we go. They really should be
flushed and emptied and dropping them is not a good thing. However, there's
just nothing like one for heft, high temp, and serious steam. Polly

Polly, that's another thing I think is amiss with this new Rowenta.
(the one they sent
me to replace the one that was leaking).
It just does not get very hot. I know the first one got hotter than
this one.

Sherry