Studio heat source

Old February 17th 05, 06:30 PM
Pete Snell

Default Studio heat source

Hi All

I'm designing a small studio addition for my SO's pottery studio. It'll
be about 12' by 22'. I'm trying to decide on a heat source for it. Fuel
will probably be natural gas. What do you use? I'm thinking it's
probably good to use a source that doesn't blow air around, but I'm not
sure how important that is. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Old February 17th 05, 07:38 PM

Not blowing dust is exceedingly important. I live in Vancouver, my
studio is extremely well ventilated, I should reduce some time ... it
used to be a spray paint shop, and I never closed the venting where the
blower was. It's gets pretty cold in there sometimes. But likely not
as cold as Kingston gets. I use a quartz heater as can be seen here;

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43456,43465

It's pretty amazing. My working area is pretty small, so I just point
at me if I'm at the wheel, or the table, and that's pretty much it.
It's definitely enough for me.

Old February 18th 05, 02:08 AM

i have a $25 propane gas bottle attachment that heats up pretty well!
something like 45,000 BTU's. i point it toward me or away when the
room gets pretty hot.

agreeably it's a small room, 12 foot x 12 foot with a higher open atic.

i have a small 5 inch fan on a shelf i point to the top ceiling to
spread the hot air around.

i can reach 84 degrees F in about an hour.

i put the heater on top of one of my raku propane bottles.

it's also great since it's portable to take outside, etc.

see ya

steve

Old February 18th 05, 02:57 PM
DKat

How do you keep from getting CO poisoning?

White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
oups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 11:56 PM

i guess all the leaks around the door & atic vents.

steve

DKat wrote:
How do you keep from getting CO poisoning?

--
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more

and
more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and

glorious day
the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last

and the
White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
oups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 07:38 PM

after thinking about it, i think there's no CO coming off propane
burners. that's why indoor fork lifts can be used. alot of indoor
motor equipment has to be converted to propane.

see ya

steve

Old February 20th 05, 08:55 PM
Eddie Daughton

i have found tho' that propane (or butane) are quite "wet" in that they give
off a fair amount of condensation.... i use a wood burning stove in my
workshop... seems to work well.... failing that there's always the waste
heat from the kiln....
Hugs
Eddie
oups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 11:49 PM
jedi

wrote in message
oups.com...
after thinking about it, i think there's no CO coming off propane
burners. that's why indoor fork lifts can be used. alot of indoor
motor equipment has to be converted to propane.

see ya

steve

A small sampling....

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4849a2.htm
http://www.fmca.com/motorhomingguide...opoisoning.asp
http://www.coquitlam.ca/Residents/Pu...ide+Safety.htm

Old February 21st 05, 12:07 AM

good data! thanks for the links! i'll make sure i keep a door partly
open when using that heater.

see ya

steve

Old February 21st 05, 03:19 PM
DKat

wrote in message
oups.com...
good data! thanks for the links! i'll make sure i keep a door partly
open when using that heater.

see ya

steve

Good to hear. Wouldn't want to lose you. DK