Which Direction?

Old May 7th 04, 07:03 PM
Regina

Default Which Direction?

Hello all.
I need some feedback. I'm currently hand quilting a twin size quilt
on a 18" hoop. It's my first large size hand quilt project. I want
to know what other hand quilters thoughts are on the direction to work
my stitch design pattern and move the hoop. I started in the center
of the quilt and have been working moving the hoop outward in kind of
a circular direction. Is it "better" to work out from one side to the
other side and then from end to end? Kind of a cross direction or X
direction? This description probably sounds confusing. It would be
easier to draw a picture. :-) What do you do?
Thanks,
Regina in warm Colorado
Old May 7th 04, 07:26 PM
Joanna

I've always been told you start in the middle and work your way out just
like your doing. Although I'm curious to hear what everyone else says.
Joanna

--
Remove Quilt to reply

Old May 8th 04, 12:59 AM
Louise

I start in the center, then move the hoop toward the side edge and continue
until that "row" is finished. Then I go back to the center and move it
either up toward the top of the quilt (or the bottom) and again work outward
to the edge. Basically, what I'm doing is working on 1/4 of the quilt at a
time. Once that quadrant is done, I do an adjacent one, each time starting
at the center again. Make sense?

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

om...

Old May 8th 04, 02:30 AM
Regina

Sandy Foster wrote in message ...

I usually do more or less as you're now doing. Start in the center, work
outwards, trying to do it evenly in every direction.

Thanks for the info. I've got another one for you fellow hand
quilters. I've just begun quilting in the last couple years. I enjoy
hand quilting alot and intend to do more, when the project calls for
it. (Not enough time in my busy days to do them all by hand.) I
don't really have room for a floor frame, but given the expense of a
quality floor hoop or quality frame, which would be a good investment.
I would get either one in a model that could be folded up out of the
way when not in use. I like the idea that a frame helps sandwich and
confine the quilt and can eliminate a lot of basting [time saver ;-)]
The hand held hoop has worked well so far, but I like what I read
about the floor or lap hoops helping support the weight of the quilt
and pivoting. Yes, I know everyone has different styles, needs,
budgets, etc., but...
What did others out there decide to get and why?
Regina
Old May 8th 04, 05:15 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
(Regina) wrote:

[...]

I have two hoops -- no room for a traditional frame, even one that folds
up. My larger hoop is on a floor stand (Hinterberg); be sure to get one
that's a little smaller than the measurement of your arm from wrist to
elbow, or you'll have trouble reaching the center. My smaller hoop is
on a little stand that goes under my thighs to hold it steady. I like
having a supported hoop so I can use my arms and hands for quilting,
rather than for keeping the hoops steady.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old May 8th 04, 08:34 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I start in the center, work outwards in a spiral. Only been doing it
this way for about 25 yrs., so YMMV. ;-)
I use a 12" or 14" hoop, hate frames, don't like the hoops on a stand.
The arm of a chair holds most of the weight of the quilt so it doesn't
smother me and is easy to adjust the hoop, move the quilt around.
Good basting prevents lots of shifting, scrunching, wrinkling problems.
I have room for a frame; the frame is in pieces in the garden
holding up some vines. g
BTW, I read in another "expert quilter's opinion" column today that
I'm supposed to hand baste, but I don't own stock in any thread companies.
I pin-baste all my quilts to handquilt them; so far, no problems. ;-D

Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy--I have a couple thousand safety pins for basting;
small investment, not worth buying stock in the company...

Old May 8th 04, 08:42 PM
Jalynne

I concur, Sandy...this is the way I do it, too. I've just started pin basting as a
rule, and wow, if it dosen't work!
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

m...

Old May 8th 04, 10:25 PM
Kathy

I start in the center, work outwards in a spiral.

I concur. I work in a generalized "from center out" direction. Every stitch
you take pushes the fabric and batting in the direction of the needle. If you
were to work inward from the outside, you would wind up with a lump in the
middle of your quilt.

I thread baste to hand quilt. Pins get in the way of the hoop, and I feel that
a good 4 inch grid thread baste really prevents the layers from shifting. If a
basting stitch happens to get in my way (rarely) I just snip it.

Kathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"
Old May 9th 04, 05:29 AM
Taria

I'd love to hear how many folks have frames in the garden or
the rafters/trusses of the garage?
Mine is in the garage. At least 2 local guild friends like wise!
When my fingers are achy it is easier to baste or better yet get
DD to help with safety pins.
Taria