Question re Paper/Foundation Piecing

Old May 7th 04, 05:07 AM
Pat S

Default Question re Paper/Foundation Piecing

I'm new to paper piecing. What sort of paper is everyone using? Regular
computer paper is handy, here, relatively cheap, and obviously just the
right size to go through the printer, but is it going to be a real problem
when it comes time to remove it? Saw some special thin papers in JoAnn's,
just for this, but they wanted a fortune for a dozen sheets (letter size).
I'd have needed 2 packages, just to get through one small wallhanging
project. Will surely appreciate any recommendations or tips shared.

Pat S.

Old May 7th 04, 05:23 AM
Sharon Harper

Try typing paper - it's thinner than regular computer paper. Not sure of
the price though. I use greaseproof (not the waxed lunch wrap) - just one
of it's many uses. Also handy for lining cookie sheets, a quick spray of
cooking spray on top and waaaaaaaaay cheaper than baking paper.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

s.com...

Old May 7th 04, 08:03 AM
Patti

As Sharon said, greaseproof paper is fine. I use it if I need to do a
lot!
I also have a paper which is lighter than old typewriter copy paper. I
bought it at an office supplies place. Here it is 50 gsm (grams per
square metre) but I don't know your equivalent.
I also use (my favourite) the paper on a roll which is meant to be used
for drawing on quilting designs and then pinning it to your quilt,
quilting through and removing.
Tissue paper is a bit too soft.
People say paper rolls that doctors use for their tables is good - but
over here they mostly use soft stuff?
However, although I do a lot of FPP, I'm probably not the best person to
advise on paper, because I draw everything - don't put it through my
printer, even multiples.
..
In article m, Pat S
writes
I'm new to paper piecing. What sort of paper is everyone using? Regular
computer paper is handy, here, relatively cheap, and obviously just the
right size to go through the printer, but is it going to be a real problem
when it comes time to remove it? Saw some special thin papers in JoAnn's,
just for this, but they wanted a fortune for a dozen sheets (letter size).
I'd have needed 2 packages, just to get through one small wallhanging
project. Will surely appreciate any recommendations or tips shared.

Pat S.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old May 7th 04, 09:51 AM
Roberta Zollner

I just use whatever's there. computer paper has all the advantages you
mentioned, works for me. Please keep in mind that a few paper noogies stuck
in the seams will be on the BACK of your foundation-pieced block, i.e.
invisible!
Roberta in D, don't sweat the small stuff

s.com...

Old May 7th 04, 01:50 PM
C & S

Pat

I tend to use tracing paper. You can buy the tablets at an art store (I've
seen them at Walmart Y Kinneys). For me, TP is a multi purpose paper. I
tend to do a lot of machine quilting and use this paper as a stencil for my
designs. If your design is on your computer you might try the "Papers for
Foundation Piecing" by That Patchwork Place. I did use it for photocoping
and didn't like the performance (I felt the paper was going to catch fire in
the copier). I haven't tried on the computer yet (bought it 4 yrs ago) so I
can't comment on it. Perhaps someone else has and will be able to.

Carole

s.com...

Old May 7th 04, 07:07 PM
Julia in MN

C & S wrote:
If your design is on your computer you might try the "Papers for
Foundation Piecing" by That Patchwork Place. I did use it for photocoping
and didn't like the performance (I felt the paper was going to catch fire in
the copier). I haven't tried on the computer yet (bought it 4 yrs ago) so I
can't comment on it. Perhaps someone else has and will be able to.

I have used this and like it. It is more expensive than regular ink jet
or copier paper, but it is easier to tear away. I have also used regular
inkjet paper and it works okay. I have some copier paper that I also use
in the printer; I think it is a little lighter weight than the inkjet
paper. Colors don't print quite so bright, but that doesn't matter for
foundations.

I had some other foundation paper that I didn't like. It was a lot like
nonwoven interfacing and didn't tear away real easily, though it was
supposed to. I can't remember the name, but I think I got it at JoAnn's.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old May 7th 04, 07:50 PM
A&T

Personally, I think the thinner paper is harder to tear off. Just personal
experience. I use regular printing paper from my computer.

Tricia

s.com...

Old May 8th 04, 01:00 AM
Louise

I've had pretty good luck using onionskin paper. It's what we used in "the
old days" to make carbon copies of letters, etc., in the office. It feeds
through my HP really well and is very easy to tear away.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

"A&T" wrote in message
ink.net...
Personally, I think the thinner paper is harder to tear off. Just personal
experience. I use regular printing paper from my computer.

Tricia

s.com...

Old May 8th 04, 04:36 AM
BarbQuilts

I prefer to use tracing paper - I buy it in tablet form and it's 14" long so
I get some extra length. It's easy to see thru while sewing and by using a
smaller stitch length and a size 90 needle it comes off very easy. I print
out many patterns on my printer and this works fine

I've also used the Patchwork Place paper - it is thinner, but not as
translucent as tracing paper. I don't like using regular copier/printer
paper since it's usually 20# and my experience has been it's harder to get
out.

There is also yardage available (I think Benertex does it) with patterns
printed and you leave the fabric foundation in your quilt. My LQS has at
least 8 different varieties now.

--
BarbQuilts
take out the Cat to reply

s.com...

Old May 8th 04, 11:16 AM
Lizzy Taylor

Louise wrote:
I've had pretty good luck using onionskin paper. It's what we used in "the
old days" to make carbon copies of letters, etc., in the office. It feeds
through my HP really well and is very easy to tear away.

Ahh so that's what you call our "bank paper" I too use it for PP and
can even feed it through one of the laser printers at work -the Minolta
that takes A4 sideways as it prints up to A3. The A4 Xerox just screws
it all up.

Lizzy

--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E