OT Some days!

Old December 15th 05, 07:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Some days!...Anise cookies

They're a little different than springerle in form and texture...taste is
similar

"Tia Mary" wrote in message
KJ wrote:

Thanks Tina! This is a German recipe my mother-in-law taught me before I
was married. At least I "think" it's German. There are some here who
might be able to correct me due to the spelling. I'm not standing in the
kitchen any more today, so I'll write the recipe here now:
__________________________________________________ __

Anisplatzchen....(the double dots over the second "A"...is that an
umlat?) .....

OOOO -- sounds rather like Springerlie (sp?) cookies to me. I LOVE
anything with anise and have even made Springerlies a time or two. You
have to use some sort of leavening that is like baking soda only
different -- some sort of ammonium bicarbonate or something like that. I
managed to snag a bit from one of the baker's at my local grocery store
back in Lizard Land.
Anyway, I have the special rolling pin used to imprint the tops of the
square cookies. These are also left out to raise and air dry so that they
get that crust on the top. OOOO -- I wish I could find a bakery nearby
who actually made the cookies!! CiaoMeow ^;;^
--
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!

Old December 15th 05, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Some days!

You are right! I'll be making a new virgin batch tomorrow. DH is a great
guy and sometimes gets the short end of the appreciation stick. He deserves
his own, hopefully perfect batch. Thanks for setting me straight!
KJ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
k.net...
There's just not much hope for the DH and Cookies dilemma. Monday I baked
a major production of cookies. The target was to take a happy to Yogi's
groomer who does such a tender gentle styling of our precious Yorkie.
So - a tin of the cookies went to the groomer. DD came by and I sent a
tiny ziplock bag (just sandwich size) of cookies to DSIL. Neighbor came
through. She had 3 cookies. There are still at least 2 dozen left. Good
enough?
Mercy no.
DH is feeling so deprived you'd think he hadn't had a decent meal in
the last 70 years, more or less. We have a major case of pitiful going on
here.
Forget whatever was scheduled for tomorrow. I am going to bake my own
personal Cookie Monster some fine cookies. I will not take even one to
anywhere. I will not offer one to anybody and I will not allow anyone
even a sniff.
A real man can only take so much giving and generosity. Cookies is
serious.
I suggest you bake a fine batch of anise. To do otherwise will doom
you to many years of counseling. Polly

Old December 15th 05, 07:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I reposted my recipe with the anise extract added. Sheesh, how could I have
missed it? Maybe it was due to my lemon extract fiasco.
These can run the range of totally crispy to crispy tops with a chewy
inside. It's a function of how you interpret Grandma's "golden brown"
bottoms!
KJ

"NightMist" wrote in message
On 14 Dec 2005 18:06:27 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

KJ, when the holidays are over, and you've had a chance to catch your
breath - would you share your recipe for Anise Cookies with me? Anise
is my absolute favorite!

Hugs,
Tina, hoping tomorrow is a better day!

I like anise cookies too!
The thin crispy kind I haven't managed to find a recipe for
especially.
I make springerlie, those are different.
I am always up for a new cookie recipe.
*hint hint*

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole

Old December 15th 05, 07:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I reposted...thanks for noticing! My bad. It uses 1 t of anise extract.
Hopefully a nice fresh and not all alcohol extract. That's on tomorrow's
(oops, I guess today's) shopping list!
KJ

"lisa skeen" wrote in message
k.net...
What form of anise? Aniseed? Ground anise? and how much? There is a
recipe in Ming Tsai's cookbook for a pork marinade and it has star anise
in it. YUM!!!

"KJ" wrote in message
newsK4of.404368$084.67736@attbi_s22...
Thanks Tina! This is a German recipe my mother-in-law taught me before I
was married. At least I "think" it's German. There are some here who
might be able to correct me due to the spelling. I'm not standing in the
kitchen any more today, so I'll write the recipe here now:
__________________________________________________ __

Anisplatzchen....(the double dots over the second "A"...is that an
umlat?)

3 eggs room temperature (Agnes always warned me about that!)
1 C. plus 2 T. sugar

1 3/4 C flour
1/2 t. baking powder } sift these three together
1/2 t. salt

Beat eggs in electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Then add the
sugar very gradually while beating constantly. Continue for 20 minutes
more. (Yes you read that right....20 minutes!)
Reduce speed of mixer and add flour mixture. Beat another 3 minutes, add
anise.

Drop by heaping teaspoonsful onto a well greased and floured cookie
sheet(s), swirling to form a perfectly round cookie.

Let stand for at least 8 hours to dry (overnight). Bake at 325 degrees F
for about 10 minutes or until a creamy golden color (not brown) on the
bottom. Store in air tight tins.

These cookies get a dried "cap" on the top that stays a bit hard while
the rest of it rises and has a somewhat chewy inside. Don't make them
big, about the size of a silver dollar is about right. It's a bit of a
fussy recipe, so I only make them once a year and really hate it when I
screw them up!!!!
Dear departed MIL must be busy playing bridge with her fellow
angels....she was a good cook and certainly hasn't been keeping a
watchful eye on my escapades in the kitchen!!!!
It's funny how there are those who like anise cookies, and those who run
screaming from them!!! Seems to be no middle ground.
When I was a kid, there was a neighbor who brought us anise cookies at
Christmas that were as hard as a rock and they looked like little pillows
with pictures on them. She would never give out the recipe and it went
to the great beyond with her. In later years, I figured out they must
have been "Springerle" cookies that are rolled out with a decorative
rolling pin and also left out over night before baking. I bought the
rolling pin and tried them a couple times, but DH preferred his mother's
recipe so I didn't bother with making them anymore. I'm sure I still
have the rolling pin somewhere!

Let me know if you have any questions...I'd love to hear if and when you
try making them!
KJ

oups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 07:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ouzo, I believe, is the correct spelling. Never had any tho. I love red
licorice too, and can eat the black kind UNLESS it is that utterly horrific,
nastified to the max SALT LICORICE they make in (I think) Denmark or some
such place. Now THAT is enough to make you gag, and you don't even want to
know about the breath of the person who's been eating that stuff....but you
can't avoid it; it's worse than coffee breath. To get an idea of what the
stuff tastes like, imagine a stick o' licorice with a tablespoon of salt and
you're about halfway there.

"Tigg" wrote

I've never understood the love of licorice, don't even like Oozo (I'm sure I
spelled that wrong). Now, I like red licorice, only it really isn't
licorice so why they call it that, I don't know.

Tigg

Old December 15th 05, 08:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

KJ wrote:

It just doesn't pay to work in the kitchen. I stirred up my usual batch of
Chocolate Crackles today and after chilling them, I thought they seemed
rather soft when rolling in the powdered sugar before baking. Yup, they ran
all over the pan and hardly rose at all. Baked the rest of the batter in a
pan like brownies, but it still isn't very good. Threw out the old baking
powder, used smaller eggs and am now awaiting to see how the next batch
acts.
Also made Grandma's anise cookies. Sort of. Except I put in lemon extract
instead of anise...they were sitting together on the shelf!!!!! Crap! DH
only gets this cookie once a year......so tried to hide the lemon with
anise....opened a new bottle...but not a newly purchased bottle.....smelled
like straight rubbing alcohol!!!! Since these cookie sit out overnight
before baking, I won't know until tomorrow just how bad they are!!!
Our family Christmas is at our house this Sunday. We have graduation events
on Friday and Saturday.....my time is getting short and my baking talents
are disappearing!!! Calgon take me away!!!!
KJ

Forget the old recipes and do something different and new this year!

I think I may have borrowed your baking talents inadvertently... My
almond cake by mistake came out seriously good, and the orange drizzle
cake for coeliac friend was pronounced perfect. The Little Chocolate
Cheese Tarts were a treat, too. Those were entirely fictional - made up
out of my head rather than a recipe! And the 10 Christmas cakes are
looking good! Two have gone off to school today: one for the staff, and
one for James's class.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old December 15th 05, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes that the right spelling :-) I love the occasional Ouzo :-)

The single salty liquorice isn't all that bad really - at least not compared
with the double and triple salty ones they make over here in The
Netherlands though I'm sure they also make it in Scandinavian countries too.

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old December 15th 05, 01:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tigg wrote:
These sound a bit like the ex's Springerlies (sp). Only those you need
a special cookie cutter type thing (don't think it cuts the cookies,
but puts a pattern in them). .....
Tigg

Hi Tigg,
It's a rolling pin that puts the design in the Springerle cookies.
I have a very pretty one that my older DSis (the one who has crossed the
Rainbow Bridge) gave me for Christmas years ago. It hangs on the
kitchen wall in a darling black wrought iron display holder for rolling
pins!! The rolling pin also puts s deep crease in the cookie dough so
that once they have dried overnight and are hard, you can break them
apart. As KJ says in a later post, they are a bit different than the
ones she gave the recipe for. Regardless, I love them both :-).
Old December 15th 05, 02:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for the recipe! Yes, there ought to be 2 dots (umlaut) over the "a"
in plätzchen. I need to get a few cookies made and might try these for a
change. But I'll wait to hear how the lemon flavoring worked out! I prefer
lemon to anise any day!
Roberta in D

"KJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

oups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 03:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I adore Good and Plenty but have to grab the insulin every time I eat it.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Tigg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, next time I swear I'll read the whole post. You mentioned
springerle's, so I guess they aren't the same. Like I said, I never
made them, but the ex talked about them all the time. Not sure if he
gets them now or not, don't really care either!

I'm one of those who would run screaming from anise cookies. I've

easy money in 30 days trip Beads 0 March 11th 05 02:42 AM
easy money in 30 days trip Needlework 0 March 11th 05 02:32 AM
easy money in 30 days trip Quilting 0 March 11th 05 02:25 AM