HELP!!! I'm shopping for a new sewing mahcine and I'm very confused

Old February 15th 05, 02:37 AM
catou

Default HELP!!! I'm shopping for a new sewing mahcine and I'm very confused

Hey all,

I was hoping that someone could be of assistance. I am looking at
purchasing a sewing machine in the next month (that is if I can make up
my mind). I have narrowed it down, unless I get better suggestions to
the Janome 6125, the Janome DE3050 or a used Pfaff (1472 Anniversary
addition). I have tried sewing on all these machines and to my
surprise I found that I preferred the Pfaff even though I don't know
how old it is. When I tried it, it sewed as well as the new Janome.
It was as quiet and the stitches looked as nice.

I am a little worried that I am liking this machine so much. Should I
have major objectinos to buying a used machine? It coems with no
warranty, well 60 days? Is that a big no no?

Does any one know the exact age of Pfaff 1472 machine? The dealer is
estimating 10 years 15 year. Is that true?

Could anyone shed some light on pros and cons of the machines I am
considering (positives and negatives). I am currently looking at
spending roughly $800 Canadian.

Hope to here from you soon,

Catou

Old February 15th 05, 03:55 AM
Barbara Raper

My Pfaff 1471 was made around 1985 - 1987. Last year I had some problems
with the electrical system---maybe the computer mother board---maybe the
electrical outlet at my house. I had the machine checked out at the Pfaff
dealer and was told that a 1471 had had a computer board replaced in the
shop a couple of months before at a cost of $400 up front. Of course, my
Pfaff worked perfetly at the shop! I was told to use it until it completely
quit before I had the computer board replaced. I really don't know that I
would want to put $400 into a mchine that was made in 1985. It's something
to think about! Right now I am in FL and it is in SC, but it was sewing as
if it were brand new when I left.
Barbara in FL & SC

Old February 15th 05, 07:59 PM
Andy Dingley

On 14 Feb 2005 18:37:32 -0800, "catou"
wrote:

I have tried sewing on all these machines and to my
surprise I found that I preferred the Pfaff even though I don't know
how old it is.

1987, if it's an anniversary model.

I'm not sure I'd like such a Pfaff myself - far too modern! I prefer
the 1221/1222, which is all mechanical and still one of the best
domestic sewing machines ever made.

I think you've answered your own question though - go with the one you
liked the most. Pfaff have long been noted for having particularly
good usability features, compared to other makes. The top feed foot is
one of the favourite features.

As to reliability, then the 1472 was a popular machine and parts are
pretty easy to find, should you ever need them. Pfaff built very good
machines and they rarely need more than the basics of servicing, in
domestic use.

Sometimes I sew buttonholes, but for practically all of my sewing I
never use any stitch more complex than a zig-zag. If you're planning
to use this machine to sew clothing, rather than for embroidery, then
the advice is always to buy a good machine that works very well as a
sewing machine -- the funny stitches are really just a gimmick.

Old February 15th 05, 08:13 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

I'll go with that. I use a 20+yo Janome and a 12yo Brother, both
mechanical not computerised. In addition to straight and zigzag, decent
buttonholes (pref one-step) are a boon, and a stretch stitch and pos a
fake overlock stitch can be handy. The other fancy stitches on the
Brother are rarely used (the Janome doesn't have them). As for
embroidery - I do the creative "free motion" variety, either on the
Janome or on a solid old Singer 201, both of which have feed dogs that
can be lowered rather than just covered. The other advantage that these
machines have is that they can all use the same set of feet and
attachments for a bog-standard low shank, none of this faffing about
with brand-specific ones.

In article , Andy Dingley of
Codesmiths, UK uttered

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old February 16th 05, 03:37 AM
catou

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input. I still havn't made a decision but I really
appreciate all hte comments. It is really allowing me to consider both
the pros and cons.

Thanks

Catou

Old February 22nd 05, 12:01 PM
catou

I wanted to thank you all for being so helpful. The
tips/advice/information you offered in your responses have truly
allowed
me to make a better decision.

Well, I guess I should tell you what I've decided. I've decided to buy
the used Pfaff 1472. It has been certified by a reputable dealer, he
is
able to get parts, I have tried out all the functions and I can't find
major flaw (the buttonholes being the minor one). I will agree that
the
buttonholes are not the best, but they are still a lot better than my 4
step buttonhole I'm used to using on my old OMEGA. I guess what made
the decision was how great the machine sews and how sturdy if feels.
The Janome just didn't compare on that level. I just felt that I could
break it at any point... Just my opinion though.

Well thanks again for all your help.

Old February 24th 05, 09:48 AM
Pogonip

wrote:

[...]

I suggest that you join the Sew-Fun email list -
which is for owners of older Pfaff sewing
machines, such as the one you are getting. There you can find out how
to get decent buttonholes from your Pfaff - I am assured that it can be
done once you find out the secret. ;-) Low traffic, but very
supportive good group on that list. It's worth signing up just to read
the archives.
--

Joanne @ stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us
http://bernardschopen.tripod.com/