Adventures with the washing machine

Old February 4th 04, 04:02 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Dora,

Welcome and please delurk and visit with us. Your yarn should make into a
lovely afghan, I've made some with cotton yarn for babies and they are nice and
soft.

Nora
Old February 4th 04, 05:22 PM
Bungadora

Thank you very much for the invitation. I haven't been knitting very much for a
while, but I have several knitting projects planned using my leftovers. The
stretched yarn is in a creamy white, and will go with some other scraps.
Several years ago, Vogue Knitting had an afghan made of squares worked into
right angles using short rows, and I was thinking of trying that with all the
white/cream yarns. I'll likely have to purchase more yarn to finish it, of
course.

I'm also looking at finishing an old project - a Kaffe Fasset design based on
quilt blocks - as well as several scarves to use up some of the colored yarns.

Dora

Old February 4th 04, 05:34 PM
Agres

You are not nearly as hard on them as a real Inishman would be.

A Inishman did not care if his sweater is a bit damp when he put it on, if
his first task of the day was to row through the surf. Many of the sheep
owners in the "Western World" had stock on several different islands, so a
day of working stock might involve braving the surf several times.

Think about holding a small boat in knee deep water with waist high surf,
while someone places a couple of sheep in the boat. Then, rowing a half
mile, and holding the boat in the surf while the sheep are lifted out of the
boat. That is a sweater that is "damp under the arms" :-)

"We respects the sea, we do, and are only drowned now and then."

Aaron

"Slinky" wrote in message
And adding insult to injury - today was a clear dry day with a nice
breeze (ok, a force 2 wind) but the sweater wasn't dry when I wanted
it to go out to run errands earlier this evening. It was *almost*
dry, just dampish in the armpit area, so I chucked it in the dryer on
low heat for 20 minutes with a dryer sheet.

I really do mistreat my handknits, don't I *g*

Old February 4th 04, 05:37 PM
Slinky

Well and good, but until I've done something irreparable to this
sweater I'll be treating it somewhat gently - it took me nearly a year
to knit, after all! *lol*
Old February 4th 04, 07:56 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Dora,

Oh you will fit right in with this group. Most of us have lots of UFO's in our
stash. One way to use up some of the yarn is to join our 6x6 square exchange.

Hugs,

Nora
Old February 4th 04, 10:05 PM
Agres

I really admired your courage to wear it.

Your Aran should be worn very gently until you have the replacement --
ready to show off. I think it is traditional for new Arans to only be worn
to church services (Sunday mass, Weddings, Baptisms, and Funerals) for the
first year of their life.

I was just pointing out that "damp" is a relative term. I believe that the
Aran patterns developed to allow "damp" jumpers to "dry" while being worn
under oil skins.

Aaron

Old February 5th 04, 01:00 AM
Bungadora

Thanks. I'll see what I have when I finish de-tangling. I'm committed to one
ball drawn out a day.
Dora

Old February 7th 04, 03:40 PM
spampot

Bungadora wrote:
Thank you very much for the invitation. I haven't been knitting very much for a
while, but I have several knitting projects planned using my leftovers. The
stretched yarn is in a creamy white, and will go with some other scraps.
Several years ago, Vogue Knitting had an afghan made of squares worked into
right angles using short rows, and I was thinking of trying that with all the
white/cream yarns. I'll likely have to purchase more yarn to finish it, of
course.

Oh my, this sounds wonderful. Do you remember the date of the pattern?
I'll look on the VK web site. I'd love to try something like that.

Old March 4th 04, 07:13 AM
Ophelia

"Bungadora" wrote in message
Delurking just for a comment.

I have my share of shrunken sweaters, mostly as a result of pure laziness.

hate hand washing, hate using cold water, and hate covering my living room
floor with a sweater instead of a rug. And they take so bloody long to

dry. I
tried shrink a sweater on purpose once, though, to get a sweater into

shape. At
that time, however, I was a neophyte in the ways of sweaters, and didn't
realize that the yarn contained acrylic. The sweater stretched to my

knees. To
my KNEES!

You are flirting with catastrophe.
Dora

ackkkkkkkkkk LOL

FAQ for RCTQ Feb Diana Curtis Quilting 7 February 2nd 05 04:08 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:47 PM
NEW Machine Knit Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:54 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 05:43 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM