Working with Platinum

Old October 21st 03, 02:13 AM
John Franklin

Default Working with Platinum

Hello,

I am new to jewelry but would appreciate feedback from the regulars.
I have been looking at platinum bracelets but have noticed that they
are very expensive. On the open market, gold is $375 per ounce and
platinum is $730 per ounce. However, I am finding platinum jewelry
three to four times more expensive than gold. So be it.

I know that I can buy .9999 pure platinum Eagles from gold dealers and
I am wondering if a jeweler out there can create a custom bracelet for
me. I would pay a set fee of X dollars for the manufacturing of the
bracelet. I have read from this group that platinum is a bitch to
work with, but would appreciate people's thoughts on the matter.

Finally, if all the above is possible, how long would it take a
jeweler to craft an 8" bracelet and how much would it cost? Would the
jeweler be ****ed if I baby sat him/her so I knew that he/she was not
ripping me off by mixing the platinum with silver or another cheaper
metal? If baby-sitting is not an option, then how to know that the
manufactured bracelet is 100% pure platinum after it is manufactured?

John
Old October 21st 03, 08:39 AM
Abrasha

John Franklin wrote:

[...]

Somebody, tie me down and gag me before I let myself loose on this one!
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 21st 03, 04:12 PM
ted.frater

NO!!!!
We have missed you so lets have it all out from you!!.
Us professional metal smiths have better things to do than deal with a
person, such as this.
This person's best bet is to go to someone like Cartier where the name
means more than the product.
The ignorance is so obvious, no body uses pure platinum except for
crucibles.
Old October 21st 03, 04:12 PM
Chris Hackett

John, is this query for real? If so you should read Peter's reply in14k gold
thread. I for one would not make the bracelet for you with your attitude of
mistrust. That aside there are many reasons why platinum is more expensive
exponentially than gold. It is expensive to work in platinum, it takes
longer and the wastage is more expensive just to start with. Every business
is allowed to make a reasonable mark up (and thus a living) on materials
supplied. They have to pay wages and overheads. I am sure you expect your
wage at the end of the week. Platinum is not a bitch to work with, just
different as is gold to silver. It is just another skill in the arsenal of
the jewellers craft obtained after years of experience. This you must pay
for. I have spent almost as much time finishing a platinum piece as making
it. Platinum has wonderful qualities once you understand them.

Finally, if all the above is possible, how long would it take a
jeweler to craft an 8" bracelet and how much would it cost?

It depends on the bracelet. How long is a piece of string

Would the
jeweler be ****ed if I baby sat him/her so I knew that he/she was not
ripping me off by mixing the platinum with silver or another cheaper
metal?

Why would a well-established jeweller ruin their career by doing this and
yes most jewellers would be.

If baby-sitting is not an option, then how to know that the
manufactured bracelet is 100% pure platinum after it is manufactured?

Most platinum jewellery is made of 950 plat. That means 950 parts platinum
to 50 parts alloy. I personally alloy my platinum with copper but other
metals can be used. The point of this is to make the platinum slightly
harder. Which makes it more practical for jewellery purposes.

Chris

Old October 21st 03, 04:12 PM

John Franklin wrote:

Finally, if all the above is possible, how long would it take a
jeweler to craft an 8" bracelet and how much would it cost? Would the
jeweler be ****ed if I baby sat him/her so I knew that he/she was not
ripping me off by mixing the platinum with silver or another cheaper
metal? If baby-sitting is not an option, then how to know that the
manufactured bracelet is 100% pure platinum after it is manufactured?

John

Troll. *Plonk*.

--
el m
Old October 22nd 03, 02:25 AM
Georgia

Maybe Peter could develop a form letter to send these thoughtless people,
with the sort of response that someone always eventually takes the trouble
to write. It could then ask them if they want to reconsider their inquiry.

Old October 22nd 03, 02:25 AM
Andrew Werby

"John Franklin" wrote in message
Hello,

I am new to jewelry but would appreciate feedback from the regulars.
I have been looking at platinum bracelets but have noticed that they
are very expensive. On the open market, gold is $375 per ounce and
platinum is $730 per ounce. However, I am finding platinum jewelry
three to four times more expensive than gold. So be it.

I know that I can buy .9999 pure platinum Eagles from gold dealers and
I am wondering if a jeweler out there can create a custom bracelet for
me.

[Starting with coins?]

I would pay a set fee of X dollars for the manufacturing of the
bracelet. I have read from this group that platinum is a bitch to
work with, but would appreciate people's thoughts on the matter.

[It will usually be less expensive to have something custom made than to buy
it in a store. If the jeweler is producing something "on spec"; in which
case he/she has to buy the material and hope it finds a customer, there will
usually be a higher charge to offset the assumed risk, and the fact that
funds are being tied up in the meanwhile. The normal retail markup is 100%;
that is, if you buy something for $1, you should be able to sell it for $2.
(If the manufacturing jeweler is selling through a store, the store will
want a similar markup on top of that.) In the case of a jewelry item, the
original cost not only includes the cost of the metal, but of labor,
overhead, taxes, equipment amortization, etc. If your "X" dollar figure
includes all that, you should be able to find someone to take on your
project. Your inquiry sounds a lot like "Steel only costs 10 cents a pound,
so how come this car's so expensive?]

Finally, if all the above is possible, how long would it take a
jeweler to craft an 8" bracelet and how much would it cost?

[You want the edges deburred, or just a cut and roll job?]

Would the
jeweler be ****ed if I baby sat him/her so I knew that he/she was not
ripping me off by mixing the platinum with silver or another cheaper
metal?

[That would be extremely likely (the jeweler being angry, not the alloying).
I know I would be, especially if you told me that was why you were hanging
over my shoulder. But some people might not mind; ever seen the sign: "Shop
rate $50 per hour, $75 if you watch, and $100 if you help." ?]

If baby-sitting is not an option, then how to know that the
manufactured bracelet is 100% pure platinum after it is manufactured?

John

[You could melt it down and have it assayed... Or you could make it
yourself- that might make you appreciate what goes into it a bit more.]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Old October 22nd 03, 02:25 AM
NE333RO

Somebody, tie me down and gag me before I let myself loose on this one!

Abrasha, even *I* wouldn't give you any flack if you took a swipe at this
one.
Old October 22nd 03, 07:01 AM
Abrasha

NE333RO wrote:

Somebody, tie me down and gag me before I let myself loose on this one!

Abrasha, even *I* wouldn't give you any flack if you took a swipe at this
one.

:-)

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 22nd 03, 07:01 AM
John Franklin

All,

Oh well, thanks for the responses. To do this group a favor I will
completely bypass the custom jewelry option and spend my money
elsewhere. I was looking at spending around $3-4K for some custom
jewelry work and more in the future if happy with the work by the
jeweler.

Hum, lets do some math here. I would pay a fair 15% commission on $4K
which works out to $600. I don't know, 6 hours of work? That is
approximately $100/hour. I am unreasonable in my demands to pay
someone to build a quality product for $100/hour?

I've seen so much fraud in my job that I don't quite get why someone
would not be hesitant of an unknown person working around several
thousand dollars worth of precious metal. I obviously don't
understand the jewelry business so this will be the last post in this
group for me. If a customer in my business asked to sit down while
our office processed their mortgage application paperwork we wouldn't
think twice.

John

(John Franklin) wrote in message news:
[...]

what is everyone working on? Beadseeker Beads 63 January 10th 05 05:28 AM
Working with Boro starlia Beads 7 August 22nd 04 04:00 PM
Working mullioned windows Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 February 22nd 04 10:36 AM