OT Some days!

Old December 16th 05, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Some days!...Anise cookies

On 15 Dec 2005 08:20:43 -0800, "Maria O" wrote:

I remember that stuff - it was Sen-Sen and came in wierd flavors like
violet.

http://thecandybaron.com/detail.html?2177
http://www.candy7.com/sen_sen.html

That last place not only has cherry mash, goo goo clusters, and white
chocolate kit kats, it's also got coffee crisps and violet crumbles.

For the licorice lovers amongst us, the first place has old fashioned
licorice pipes. I used to get those at the really good drug store
that used to be downtown. They are the best!

I think I'm likely to get fatter.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old December 16th 05, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Some days!...Lebkuchen

Hope you remembered to get the "Ellison" ones!
Roberta in D, just did a lebkuchen run yesterday

" Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
et...
Howdy!
You started it, Roberta!
VBG
There's a German grocery store/outlet in
Colleyville/Southlake, northwest of DFW airport.
All this talk of cookies and baking and eating compelled me
to head up there this beautiful, sunny day
to "stock up." g
The Nürnberger lebkuchen (see, I remember what you told me)
was there along w/ a few other types; we must sample them all.
A few chocolates insisted on hopping into the bags,
along w/ the spätzle, some sweet mustard, saurkraut and
bratwurst. And lebkuchen.
Cruised right by the 2 quilt shops on the way to/from;
this was a Lebkuchen mission and that's what came home with me. g
Mission accomplished! ;-D

Cheers!
Ragmop/Sandy --sometimes priorities have to be adjusted,
esp. for lebkuchen
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Thanks for the recipe! Yes, there ought to be 2 dots (umlaut) over the
"a" in plätzchen. I need to get a few cookies made and might try these
for a change. But I'll wait to hear how the lemon flavoring worked out! I
prefer lemon to anise any day!
Roberta in D

"KJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
newsK4of.404368$084.67736@attbi_s22...
Thanks Tina! This is a German recipe my mother-in-law taught me before
I was married. At least I "think" it's German. There are some here who
might be able to correct me due to the spelling. I'm not standing in
the kitchen any more today, so I'll write the recipe here now:
__________________________________________________ __

Anisplatzchen....(the double dots over the second "A"...is that an
umlat?)

3 eggs room temperature (Agnes always warned me about that!)
1 C. plus 2 T. sugar

1 3/4 C flour
1/2 t. baking powder } sift these three together
1/2 t. salt

Beat eggs in electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Then add the
sugar very gradually while beating constantly. Continue for 20 minutes
more. (Yes you read that right....20 minutes!)
Reduce speed of mixer and add flour mixture. Beat another 3 minutes,
add anise.

Drop by heaping teaspoonsful onto a well greased and floured cookie
sheet(s), swirling to form a perfectly round cookie.

Let stand for at least 8 hours to dry (overnight). Bake at 325 degrees
F for about 10 minutes or until a creamy golden color (not brown) on the
bottom. Store in air tight tins.

These cookies get a dried "cap" on the top that stays a bit hard while
the rest of it rises and has a somewhat chewy inside. Don't make them
big, about the size of a silver dollar is about right. It's a bit of a
fussy recipe, so I only make them once a year and really hate it when I
screw them up!!!!
Dear departed MIL must be busy playing bridge with her fellow
angels....she was a good cook and certainly hasn't been keeping a
watchful eye on my escapades in the kitchen!!!!
It's funny how there are those who like anise cookies, and those who run
screaming from them!!! Seems to be no middle ground.
When I was a kid, there was a neighbor who brought us anise cookies at
Christmas that were as hard as a rock and they looked like little
pillows with pictures on them. She would never give out the recipe and
it went to the great beyond with her. In later years, I figured out
they must have been "Springerle" cookies that are rolled out with a
decorative rolling pin and also left out over night before baking. I
bought the rolling pin and tried them a couple times, but DH preferred
his mother's recipe so I didn't bother with making them anymore. I'm
sure I still have the rolling pin somewhere!

Let me know if you have any questions...I'd love to hear if and when you
try making them!
KJ

"Tina" wrote in message
oups.com...
KJ, when the holidays are over, and you've had a chance to catch your
breath - would you share your recipe for Anise Cookies with me? Anise
is my absolute favorite!

Hugs,
Tina, hoping tomorrow is a better day!

Old December 16th 05, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Some days!

Must be the Ice storm.

I had the oatmeal cookies on the cookie sheet (not baked) and saw the
raisins sitting there in the cup. I picked the cookies up put them
back in the bowl and mixed in the raisins.

Whew, that was close!

bonnie, in Middletown, VA (the temp is now 40.9 F.)

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:48:54 -0500, "Alice M. Bonnell"
wrote:

Maybe it's the ice storm...I made cookie press cookies today and the dough
seemed a little soft. After they baked, none of the cute Xmas shapes were
recognizable! Just blobs! Turns out, I somehow doubled the amount of
shortening in the mixture! Tomorrow I'll try again, as my son says they are
his favorites!"Oh yes, I also burned my finger too.

KJ" wrote in message
It just doesn't pay to work in the kitchen. I stirred up my usual batch
of Chocolate Crackles today and after chilling them, I thought they seemed
rather soft when rolling in the powdered sugar before baking. Yup, they
ran all over the pan and hardly rose at all. Baked the rest of the batter
in a pan like brownies, but it still isn't very good. Threw out the old
baking powder, used smaller eggs and am now awaiting to see how the next
batch acts.
Also made Grandma's anise cookies. Sort of. Except I put in lemon
extract instead of anise...they were sitting together on the shelf!!!!!
Crap! DH only gets this cookie once a year......so tried to hide the
lemon with anise....opened a new bottle...but not a newly purchased
bottle.....smelled like straight rubbing alcohol!!!! Since these cookie
sit out overnight before baking, I won't know until tomorrow just how bad
they are!!!
Our family Christmas is at our house this Sunday. We have graduation
events on Friday and Saturday.....my time is getting short and my baking
talents are disappearing!!! Calgon take me away!!!!
KJ

Old December 16th 05, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I do that with vanilla a lot! Get everything put in the pan and there sits
the vanilla bottle! There have been times I dribbled it all over the top
and stirred it in the best I could.
Today's anise cookie score is: one pan perfect! the other went just
slightly past the creamy brown on the bottom. They might be a little
crispier..but not bad. So over all: I'd give it an A-.
Ok, back to the cleaning! Oops, also need a grocery store run! I'm so
disorganized with getting things done for company. We have a graduation
event this afternoon, graduation tomorrow morning and the family is coming
for Christmas on Sunday. I hope no one wants a meal at home before then!!!
KJ

Old December 16th 05, 06:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I made oatmeal cookies today, too and I think it was the snow that made me
feel
like doing it. Didn't have raisins but I'd bought a huge ( what possessed
me? ) bag
of sweetened cranberries at Costco this week and used those. I used the
Old Fashioned type of oatmeal.
Is that what they call it?...I'm too lazy to hunt up the box. Anyway...they
are delish .
The small ice cream scoop works great for these...recipe makes 48
cookies.... Mary

Old December 16th 05, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Yes. I learned well, instructed by an expert. g
Thanks!
yummmmmmm

Ragmop/Sandy

Old December 17th 05, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I always use my small scoop when making cookies. And if you need your
cookies a uniform size - cook them in your muffin tins. I made some peanut
butter cookies - used a small scoop and baked them in the tiny muffin tins.
Soon as they came out of the oven I pushed a Dark Chocolate Kiss in the
center of each. DS says they are his new favorite. But when I make
Chocolate Chips I use the big scoop. No one likes a teensy little old
Chocolate Chip cookie.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old December 17th 05, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I had great success with cookies last night! Yay!

Put together a double batch of simple sugar cookie dough, divided it
into thirds, and made chocolate mint checkerboards, strawberry
pinwheels, and tiger biscuits.
Tiger biscuits are just ribbon cookies. Flavored half the dough with
cafe sport flavoring, which makes that half dark brown. Flavored the
other half with a drop of butter flavoring oil, a couple drops of
pecan flavoring oil, and a whiff of brandy, and then colored it a
golden orangey. Press the top of the stack a little and pat the sides
after you have it layered, and the cookies come out looking tiger
stripey when you slice them.

NightMist

Old December 17th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Whew, I am glad the rctq curse seems to have lifted...I'm going to
venture into the kitchen this weekend to make 3 & 1/2 dozen (mini)
mince pies and some cookies, and you all were making me a bit scared
(and hungry!).

Lynn

Old December 17th 05, 08:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

My four stollen loaves look beautiful, and DH even ate half of one
before it cooled! Nancycog in MD

easy money in 30 days trip Beads 0 March 11th 05 02:42 AM
easy money in 30 days trip Needlework 0 March 11th 05 02:32 AM
easy money in 30 days trip Quilting 0 March 11th 05 02:25 AM