Buying a First Sewing Machine

Old February 19th 05, 11:07 PM

Default Buying a First Sewing Machine

I've been reading with interest your members' posts regarding favorite
sewing machines and have some questions. I have read good things about
the Janome 4623 LE Plus and the Huskystar 224 (which my dealer sells)
and wonder how they compare????

I am interested in sewing items for my house - curtains, quilts (my
neighbor has an 18' quilting machine), pillows, tote bags, wall
hangings - but probably not clothing.

I see much more information on the Internet about Janome and I wonder
if parts are as available for the Huskystar or if the Huskystar has as
many accessories.

I'm not convinced those machines are necessarily what I need and I'm
open to all suggestions while I do my research.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Cheers,
Greg

Old February 20th 05, 11:27 AM
romanyroamer

I know some of you don't like Janomie's but I love them! I have a costume
hire business and make all the costumes. My Janomie has stood up to
everything.
When something has happened, always minor, like when a pet sheep got into my
work room, got tangled in the cord and pulled it onto the cement floor and
split it in half, parts have been easily obtainable and relatively cheap.
I also have a Janomie overlocker It overlocks really heavy and thick
materials without a worry.
Rolled hems are a breeze.Lycra sews wonderfully. It is an easy machine to
use.
I use the one foot between the two as its plug fits into both machines. I
just push the one I'm not using back and pull the other forward. I find it
saves lots of cords running around and two pedals under the table.
I won a Viking overlocker and hate it! It hates heavy material, I'm always
having to fiddle with knobs.It doesn't have a built in waste catcher.I have
found it very temperamental!..........Amelia

ups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 05:22 PM
Karen Maslowski

As my husband said, that sheep would be mutton after something like
that. LOL And how did the sheep get IN the workroom? Just curious. I
suspect that thereby hangs a tale, so to speak.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio, agog at the very idea of a sheep loose in the
house!

Old February 20th 05, 05:46 PM

Karen Maslowski wrote:
As my husband said, that sheep would be mutton after something like
that. LOL And how did the sheep get IN the workroom? Just curious. I
suspect that thereby hangs a tale, so to speak.

I dunno. My teenaged daughter used to bring one of her chickens in the
house for visits while said fowl was perched on her shoulder.
Old February 21st 05, 01:35 PM
romanyroamer

I live in rural Australia and my work room is an old mud brick gardeners
cottage. The sheep had been bottle reared and seemed to think it was a cat,
always wanted to sit on your lap.......this was fine as a lamb but not when
full grown. Any door left open or not properly shut was seen as an
invitation to enter.
Needless to say one day it found it's way into the workroom and created
havoc. Ate a large amount of patterns (mainly bits of) and decided green
velvet was good tucker. The sheep must have got a fright when it heard me
coming. I heard a huge crash and was bowled over, as I opened the door by a
very frightened sheep,festooned in the remains of a green velvet bodice and
trailing threads and yarn. The smash was my poor Janomi but was put back
together without to much hassle or expense.
I have to be relatively laid back as I have 7 children (from 2 - 17). If I
stressed I'd be in the nut house by now. We couldn't eat the sheep as we
knew him but had to get rid of it as it was getting to be a pest and always
seemed to find it's way home. My brother took it and it was soon consigned
to the freezer. When my eldest daughter found out she refused to eat lamb/
mutton etc. and still doesn't even after 4 yrs!.Amelia
"Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply" wrote in
message ...

Old February 21st 05, 01:54 PM
Karen Maslowski

What a great story, Amelia. And a very different way of life from my
own, so I feel privileged that you chose to share it with all of us.

Karen Maslowski in Ohio, on property where sheep used to live, but
haven't in over 50 years

Old February 28th 05, 05:28 PM
Volfie

"romanyroamer" wrote in message
I know some of you don't like Janomie's but I love them! I have a costume
hire business and make all the costumes. My Janomie has stood up to
everything.
When something has happened, always minor, like when a pet sheep got into
my
work room, got tangled in the cord and pulled it onto the cement floor and
split it in half, parts have been easily obtainable and relatively cheap.

LOL! Someone with a house like mine!

Giselle (who's had a llama, mini horses and even a draft horse wander
through...)

Old February 28th 05, 05:50 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

Gawd - all I've had was kids, and a cat with big feet. Mind you, I have
found stick insects before now ... in the fridge, in the butter dish ...

In article , Volfie of IQuest Internet,
LLC uttered

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old March 1st 05, 10:49 AM
romanyroamer

I think the worst thing I found in the house (apart from a sheep that
attempted to trashed my sewing machine) was a 6 foot brown snake in a toy
box. Mind you it was an internal room with no outside doors and high,
screened windows. Still don't know how it got in!
The baby had been playing there only a short while before. I had put him to
bed and was talking to mum on the phone. The toy box was under a table
covered with a table cloth. I wondered why our cat was acting so strangely,
kept fluffing up and hissing. I lifted up the cloth and nearly *died* when
I saw the snake. This type of snake is highly venomous.
If it had bitten the baby when he was playing there, he would proberly have
died as we would not have know that he had been struck!
It was very scary!!

Old March 1st 05, 01:45 PM
Volfie

[...]

Oh, EW! If I had found that that'd been it -- I would have moved. To
Ireland.

Giselle (my cats brought a garter snake into my bedroom once and it was
pretty small AND dead and still I had the heeby-jeebies for a year)