Need info on buying sewing machine

Old February 27th 05, 02:07 AM
Marianne Teubner

Default Need info on buying sewing machine

I have an embroidery sewing machine, but it is too big and heavy to take to
classes, so I am thinking about getting another machine that I could use for
this purpose. I don't want to spend too much, but I also want a machine that
will last and give me some decorative stitches.

My husband and I are in the process of exploring the cost of building a
second home, so this sewing machine may end up as the machine I leave in one
house or take back and forth with me.

I had a Kenmore that was from 1972 (no free arm) and then I had a very basic
White machine that I traded in when I bought my embroidery machine. I know,
I know, I shouldn't have traded it in, but the dealer gave me a great trade
in and at the time my daughter hadn't expressed a desire to learn to sew,
nor did I think about a machine to take to classes.

I loved my Kenmore and didn't have any problems with my White. My embroidery
machine is a Brother and I love it, so I am kind of partial to getting
another Brother. Does anyone have experience with the newer Kenmores? Would
I be better off if I purchased a Pfaff?

I want to have somewhat of an idea of what I want before I go to my dealer,
because although, they are very helpful, they are in the business of selling
me the most expensive machine they can.

Since I have a machine with fancy stitches and embroidery, what features
should I "not live without"? I know I would like a machine with an easy
buttonhole stitch, but don't know the terminology for it, I'll just have to
look at it and see if I like it. But, I don't think I need overkill if it is
a machine I'll mostly be taking to classes. I want to learn to quilt, but
don't know what features I should look for, for that purpose.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Marianne T.

Old February 27th 05, 11:22 AM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

In article . net,
Marianne Teubner of EarthLink Inc. -- http://www.EarthLink.net uttered

Since I have a machine with fancy stitches and embroidery, what
features should I "not live without"? I know I would like a machine
with an easy buttonhole stitch, but don't know the terminology for it,
I'll just have to look at it and see if I like it. But, I don't think I
need overkill if it is a machine I'll mostly be taking to classes. I
want to learn to quilt, but don't know what features I should look for,
for that purpose.

I think you're looking for a one-step buttonhole - the one with the foot
where you bung a sample button in it and the machine does the measuring.
I don't know about Kenmores (being in the UK, that always says
"foodmixer" to me), but Pfaff are good, and so are Brother. If you're
wanting to quilt, you don't really need the decorative stitches - if not
for the weight issue I'd say get an old straight-stitch Singer 99. If
you get a handcrank you can even take your piecing out into the garden
to do lol!

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo