I'm having a brain-fart and can't THINK (knitting) {help me}

Old April 2nd 04, 04:19 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default I'm having a brain-fart and can't THINK (knitting) {help me}

Du-uh... I'm having one of *those* days... I'm trying to figure out
something and the brain is playing hide-and-seek... and it makes me MAD
because it's something SIMPLE, and it makes me feel DUMB!
Call for Help!
How in the heck do I do a mitered shawl? I want it triangular, but I also
don't want the long top edge to be straight, I'd like it to continue the
miter... (think ripple afghan, but only ONE ripple)
Man, do I feel like a moron!
Help!
TIA,
Noreen

--
http://www.hostultra.com/~knitche
http://www.sharemation.com/knitche

http://www.mblog.com/noreens_knitche
http://mail2office.tripod.com/musings
http://www.freejournal.net/journalle..._user1984.html

change n e t to c o m to email me.
Old April 2nd 04, 04:23 PM
Slinky

Cast on 3, increase on either side of the center stitch every other
row.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
Slinky

Or, for a bat-wing effect, cast on four and increase every other
stitch the first time, then increase after the first stitch, either
side of the center stitch, and before the last stitch. This would be
every four row, methinks.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:31 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:23:36 GMT, Slinky wrote:

Cast on 3, increase on either side of the center stitch every other
row.

Thanks, Michelle!
I knew it was simple, and I was doing an OVER simplification, y'know?
Hope your allergies clear up quick!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old April 2nd 04, 04:32 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:25:42 GMT, Slinky wrote:

Or, for a bat-wing effect, cast on four and increase every other
stitch the first time, then increase after the first stitch, either
side of the center stitch, and before the last stitch. This would be
every four row, methinks.

Again, Michelle, meTHANKS you!
Hugs,
Noreen
who is feeling pretty silly about now....
could be too many 18 row repeat complicated patterns lately... couldn't
think in EZ terms, grin!

Old April 2nd 04, 05:48 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

NOREEN I am going to the shower ,,, and will think about it ,,,
TAAAAAA till later ]
mirjam

Old April 2nd 04, 07:26 PM
Stella Fenley

Noreen,will this info help any,
http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/mitre_bas.shtml.
good luck.Stella
.. .

Old April 2nd 04, 07:40 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:26:36 GMT, Stella Fenley wrote:

Noreen,will this info help any,
http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/mitre_bas.shtml.
good luck.Stella

Thank you, Stella!
Noreen

Old April 2nd 04, 11:01 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

How in the heck do I do a mitered shawl? I want it triangular, but I also
don't want the long top edge to be straight, I'd like it to continue the
miter... (think ripple afghan, but only ONE ripple)

Ripple afghan but only one ripple - wouldn't that be more of a V shape?

either:

vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvvvv
vvv

or:

v v
vv vv
vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvv vvv
vvvvv
vvv

I think it would start like those washcloths done from one corner up:
cast on one stitch, increase to three, increase one each side to five,
except after a while you bind off one in the middle and start a second
ball of yarn.
Or for the mitered method, you cast on the whole length, then you
decrease two in the middle and increase one on each end at the same time.

=Tamar
Old April 3rd 04, 01:13 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Noreen I have never made a shawl but I would think one cast on two or three
stitches and increase each end untill the required size is reached. God
Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly