Small steps to serendipty (beads and other stuff)

Old May 13th 04, 10:12 PM
Karen_AZ

Default Small steps to serendipty (beads and other stuff)

I promised a generic update a few days ago, then ended up drowning in
errands, chores and orders. But I really want to share some good stuff.

First, with the help of a very nice semi-lurker here on RCB, I'm getting a
new website designed. So far it looks GREAT, and I can't wait to unleash it.
I copied all the wonderful suggestions I got when I asked here a while back,
and plan to make it much better.

Next, I'm blissing out on some new glass....it's Gaffer glass, normally a
furnace glass, being brought in by Valorie Cox over on Wet Canvas. I LOVE
THIS STUFF! The Coffee Break set I posted Tuesday and the Watermelon set I
just sold on Justbeads are two of the first sets. Today I was playing with
more hollows. This glass makes hollow-making EASY! Val says she has more
colors in the next batch, and I'm just about drooling in anticipation. It's
so cool having something new for inspiration!

Also on the glass front, I've been experimenting with blowing on a very
small scale. Just really silly looking bubbles and stuff, but I'm learning a
lot. One big lesson is that I need to adjust my workspace somewhat because I
need to stand up over the torch sometimes. Not much I can do about it now,
but in the future......

Which leads me to my happiest news. The building site we want should be
available very soon. AND we're preapproved for the price of the house and
more options than we really want or need. Of course, we have to jump through
all the escrow hoops and stuff, but we qualify!!! And that was purely on
Mike's income, which means my bead money and my trust dividends can be used
for silly things like new furniture and an oxygen generator. Oh, and my
dream studio, of course. G

We're NOT being silly about the final package, either. We figure we'll do as
many things as we can out of the "standard" package, and upgrade them on our
own later. The one exception is anything that involved large amounts of
plaster dust. G We want most of the walls to stay intact once they're up,
so we'll splurge on wiring and plumbing stubs in possible place, like for a
sink in the laundry room. Not something I think we need immediately. We're
going on the cheap with flooring (vinyl in we places, tile later), counters
(formica for now), and cabinets (their basic oak is pretty cool anyway). Our
three serious splurges are a full back patio (instead of a tiny square of
concrete out the back door), an energy package (insulation, low-E windows
and other goodies), and a master bath with separate shower and oversize tub,
and glass block windows. We figure they're things that are either difficult
to retrofit or not worth the wait.

I can almost let myself breathe now, but I think I'll probably really be
waiting til I have a key in my hand. G Think kind thoughts for us when we
get to the color-choosing phase.

--
KarenK
www.desertdreameraz.com

Old May 14th 04, 04:09 AM
starlia

Congrats on the house. I can't wait until we build our own. We purchased
the house we are in one year after it was constructed. Since it was our
starter home we haven't done a lot of upgrades. The sunken tub was a dream
and already here. Things we have replaced are ceiling fans, light fixtures,
faucets, etc. Since I've burned the kitchen floor we need to put in tile.
I'm also replacing all the drawer pulls and knobs slowly but surely. We
have 42 in the kitchen alone. We have replaced all the inside door knobs
with old glass knobs as we have found them. All the light fixtures are
antique and very cool. I love upgrading. :-)

Now I have questions about the gaffer cane. I got a batch on a fluke from
Val of shorts. It's a long story but the website wasn't working and it said
they were in stock when they weren't. I then have purchased the clear cane.
I didn't like the results I have with the trials. Do you have any
suggestions? Any combinations that you like?

Starlia