(completely and totally) "Stuff"

Old October 6th 03, 08:25 AM
meijhana

Default (completely and totally) "Stuff"

hey, it's money...but at least they *do* have someone that they can go to.
It is wonderful of your daughter to care for others like that...even though
it's out of your pocket.

Just be glad the beads weren't going that way, LOL!

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.
"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
For as long as I can remember, the euphemism for feminine hygiene products
has been "stuff," said in that tone of voice. My sister, who still gets
embarrassed buying her own "stuff," at nearly forty (!) comes and cleans

out
my bathroom cabinet on a regular basis. I used to buy a year's worth of
supplies at Costco at a time, and just be done with it; but since I got

sick,
I don't make it to Costco much anymore. I don't have the heart to ask Bob

buy "stuff" on his Costco runs, especially since the packaging changes so
much and so often that he'd have to stand there in the aisle forever and

he'd
be embarrassed.

When I do make it to the drugstore or Wal-mart, I usually buy a bunch of
stuff at a time, so I won't be caught short. However, I noticed that the
bathroom supply was disappearing much more quickly than I anticipated. If
the other female member of my household was going through that volume of
stuff, we were going to have to have her treated for acute hemorrhage,
because no one needs four packages of stuff in a week. (P/T D likes her

own
brand, and that wasn't disappearing at such an alarming rate)

Today, my Mom took me out to lunch and shopping, and I bought yet another
four packages of "stuff." When I got in, DD went to put all my purchases
away for me. As I was catching my breath and watching, I noticed that

three
of the four packages were going into her backpack. Confused, I asked her

why
she needed so much for school - wouldn't a few items in her purse be

enough?

She took a deep breath, and I knew it was going to be a good story. "Well
Mama, you buy the good kind of stuff. At Sterling, they don't have

machines
in the bathroom, and you have to go to the nurse. There's always boys in
there, so it's wicked embarrassing to have to ask. Then, when she gives

it
to you, the kind she has are like a loaf of Wonder Bread, and they have

long
things on them, and safety pins! I don't even know what to do with them.
So, I keep a whole bunch of stuff in my first floor locker, and all my
friends know the combination to that locker. If we need stuff during the
school day, they just go to that locker and get it."

Then she started laughing. "My friend Matt asked me why I have two

lockers.
I told him that one was for books and the other was for private things.

Matt
asked me if I meant "girl things," and I told him yes. Then he said, "You
girls shouldn't share makeup, it's not clean.""

The instructions for next week are to (1) not enlighten Matt about the
"makeup" in the locker, and (2) tell her buddies that they either have to
bring some stuff themselves or kick a few bucks into the "stuff fund."
Otherwise, they're going to have to carry purses or go to the nurse.

(Within
reason, of course. I don't mind a little extra, but four packages a week

is
a little more than I plan to provide)

Kathy N-V, who never dreamed of having this problem.

Old October 6th 03, 05:32 PM
meijhana

Kathy...

I was thinking...with the environment that you said some of the children
come from, perhaps they can't afford to bring them, either, or would be too
embarrassed to ask parent to get them for them for school.

Is there a female head of school (not necessarily the principal, just a
person of power), that perhaps could be let known of the situation, and
perhaps a couple of bucks could be swung that way? And what is purchased
wouldn't have to be top notch...

or perhaps this would be the optimal time to bring up the possibility of the
machine in the bathroom. Perhaps one of the wholesale companies would be
willing to provide one free of charge (the machine, not the product). Does
this school ever experience vandalism?

Some very good points were brought up here. but then again, somehow, it
struck an "activist" chord in me...I have *ABSOLUTELY* no idea why!!!

mary

Old October 6th 03, 11:34 PM
Diana Curtis

I thought they stopped making the wonder bread kind with tabs 15 years ago
or so!
Now, I like not needing a special pair of panties with that little tab thing
that poked me in a most tender spot but I would like to know who decided
that putting adhesive near a spot with hair was a good thing?
Have you decided what youre going to do as an alternative to supplying all
the friends for free?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 7th 03, 01:30 AM
Kandice Seeber

Kathy, that school is tremendously lucky to have you around. Those kids are
very lucky, and I am sure they know that. You're so freaking cool!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

I was thinking...with the environment that you said some of the children
come from, perhaps they can't afford to bring them, either, or would be

too
embarrassed to ask parent to get them for them for school.

Is there a female head of school (not necessarily the principal, just a
person of power), that perhaps could be let known of the situation, and
perhaps a couple of bucks could be swung that way? And what is

purchased
wouldn't have to be top notch...

Actually, I've decided what I'm going to do. It's DD's last year at this
school,
and in high school, all the girls seem to carry purses. (Apparently the

time
honored method of carrying stuff in your sock has gone by the wayside)

I'll
speak with the vice principal, who is female, new and thinks I'm whacked
anyway, and see what to do about upgrading the stuff the the nurse gives

out,
and to see if they can put machines in the bathroom. Since the school

budget
for this year is already [over]spent, I'm sure that nothing can happen

until
next September.

So, for the rest of this year, I'll take care of the stuff problem.

Tomorrow
Bob and I will go to Costco, I'll buy a few of the big honkin' boxes, and
replace them when necessary. Also, each term I give the principal a check

cover "miscellaneous expenses." This term, it paid for calculators for

the
eighth graders who cannot afford them (they're learning upper level math).
I'll mention that "stuff" would be a good purchase for my second term

check.

BTW, I compute my donation check by taking the tuition I was paying for

DD's
parochial school and giving that amount over the four terms. I had

actually
been saving money for DD to go to a really prestigious prep school, but sh

greatly prefers Sterling. So, I figure even with the donations, I'm way,

way
ahead.

Lastly, "boy stuff" is available for free to any student. It's in a

basket
in the health classroom, and can be taken without anyone seeing, as the
health teacher leaves her room open when she's off teaching other classes
around the building. I'm not sure where they get them - planned

parenthood
maybe, or maybe some of my miscellaneous money pays for them. I know for
sure that it's not included in the school budget (I sit through every

school
committee meeting, and no way would they pay for that).

Kathy N-V, who would be happy to pay for "boy stuff" as well

Old October 7th 03, 05:33 AM
Cheryl

Lastly, "boy stuff" is available for free to any student. It's in a basket
in the health classroom, and can be taken without anyone seeing

VERY PROGRESSIVE
many schools (or rather communities) have frowned on this as "encouraging sex"
among the young.
Apparently my aunt, you and I are among the minority who would rather they be
"safe than sorry."

You are such a nice person... G
the girls should vote you their "angel of mercy."
I do remember those embarassing early years --and even when I shopped for
myself that bit of "uncomfortable" public display thing -- Amazing how we get
steeled as we get older... today, I just throw the stuff on the conveyor at
the grocery store - and if it's a male clerk - well it's HIS problem he has to
deal with it.... LOL
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old October 7th 03, 05:41 AM
Cheryl

It was almost incomprehensible to her to
discover that I get that crap on a daily basis.

Kathy N-V

Kathy- that's horrid.
I must say NOBODY has ever questioned me parking in handicap - and I do NOT
look handicapped -- unless you get close and happend to hear my huffing
puffing and wheezing on a bad asthma day.
The rest of the time - with 60% capacity - as long as I take it easy and slow -
I look and sound normal.
I've seen the look of shock on my classmates (at law school) faces when they
have (on rare occassions) seen me climb the stairs at school - and realize it's
a major job for me! Or walk with me to the parking lot - or the bookstore -
and realize that my stopping along the way is a necessary thing....
then you can see when the realization hits them that I really do have physical
limits...

Old October 7th 03, 07:12 AM
Christina Peterson

Perhaps it has to do with location. I don't see it here in Alaska, and I
don't know if it's that bad in the West where drivers are often more
courtious.

Tina

Old October 7th 03, 07:19 AM
Christina Peterson

Actually I have often asked men to get my supplies for me (if I can trust
them to get the right kind). Maybe it's just the men I know, but they don't
seem to mind. Heck, they may even be proud to have people know they are
that comfortable with intimate female stuff. Or at least that part makes it
tolerable. Also some men do get to that point where, if others are
uncomfortable about it, that's the other person's problem.

Tina

Old October 7th 03, 11:27 AM
meijhana

Kathy...

when you go in for "stuff"...why not talk to the manager? They may be
willing to donate...or ask if you could possibly leave a number for when
they do markdowns?

I go into the drugstores around here (admittedly, "namebrand" i.e. Longs, or
RiteAid), and sometimes see grocerycarts with markdowns, and that is in it
sometimes. So perhaps if they give you a call before they put "stuff" out,
it would give you a chance to snag it up?

If/when I see coupons in the paper, here, I will cut them for you...(don't
always read the sales part of the paper...)

Mary