04 06?

Old October 5th 03, 06:00 PM
Martin J. Kenny

Default 04 06?

This question is probably simple with a simple answer. Perhaps it narrows
down to will it make a difference to the final product if I bisque porcelain
at 06 (usually I do it to 04)?

The reason for the question is that there is a terracotta piece already
fired to 06. It has some glued wood attachments that I want to burn away.
Firing to 04 would make it a darker red and a mismatch with several other
pieces of a set. Perhaps the refiring to 06 will do that in itself. That
is a question.

I would like to make a mix-match bisque terracotta and porcelain at 06. The
porcelain will later be glazed and fired to 6.

Any thoughts, and thanks in advance,

Marty
anything to save a firing

Old October 7th 03, 09:00 PM
Andrew Werby

"Martin J. Kenny" wrote in message
This question is probably simple with a simple answer. Perhaps it narrows
down to will it make a difference to the final product if I bisque

porcelain
at 06 (usually I do it to 04)?

[It might absorb a bit more glaze, but nothing significant.]

The reason for the question is that there is a terracotta piece already
fired to 06. It has some glued wood attachments that I want to burn away.

[Be careful with that. Some glues shouldn't be burned (especially
polyurethane glues) because of the toxic smoke generated. Burning wood in
your kiln can damage the elements, if your kiln is electric. Make sure the
kiln is opened a crack when the smoke's coming out, to avoid a reduction
atmosphere developing.]

Firing to 04 would make it a darker red and a mismatch with several other
pieces of a set. Perhaps the refiring to 06 will do that in itself. That
is a question.

[I doubt there's much difference in color between 04 and 06. Test this on a
non-precious sample if you want to be sure.]

I would like to make a mix-match bisque terracotta and porcelain at 06.

[What do you mean by that? Bisque firing both types of clay in the same load
shouldn't be a problem. But if you're combining both types of clay in the
same piece, that probably won't work.]

The
porcelain will later be glazed and fired to 6.

[6 is low for true porcelain to mature. You want at least cone 9, and 10 is
better.]

Any thoughts, and thanks in advance,

Marty
anything to save a firing

[There are worse things than extra firings...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com