Question for lampworks

Old May 4th 05, 04:18 AM
Lara

I have tried to use my presses without a base and it is hard. You can get
something heavy and straight to prop the base against and therefore keep the
bottom from moving when you press, but as said above, you risk the bead
being off center.

I just got the CAtwalk dual size crush/squeeze and I love it. Not only does
it have 2 different sizes on each side, it has 2 shapes. FOUR PRESSES IN
ONE. I like the one that is flat on the bottom and domed on the top.

I have the crunch and round tab (love it) from catwalk, the lentil from
Corina (my first and still my favorite) and some pillows from Zoozii. I
find the pillows the hardest to figure out how to use (ie get enough glass),
but don't have a problem with the bases and the pins, I like that design.

I would look at the shape you like best and get that. There are several
different chooses and they are all good and you will just get used to what
you have and like it, I'm sure.

--

Check out my eBay auctions under user ID: lutrick
Or click on the link: http://snipurl.com/8fa3

"Cindy Schoepp" wrote in message
I am really leaning toward the bead squeeze...are any of you experiencing
problems as the center is thinner on Corina's than others on the market?

Secondly...do any of you use a bead presses without a base...I am new
starting out and am trying to watch my budget...and with the Canadian $$,

it
adds up ! I am torn right now between Catwalk which has a dual size and
Corina's (little worried as center is thinner).

Thank you so much for your help...and I appreciate to learn what the

jewelry
makers like.

Cindy
wrote in message
ps.com...
I use Corina's Bead Squeeze. I love it, it is easy to use and I have
never had a bead crack. ANY press will stress the glass and make it
easier to get a thermal crack along the mandrel line. With any press
you use, be sure to put a little extra heat along the mandrel line
before you put it in the kiln.
Kimberly

Old May 4th 05, 05:37 AM
Kandice Seeber

Personally, these stamps are very hard for me to use without the base. They
slide all over the place, and beads are easily messed up. I would invest in
the base if at all possible, or maybe try and construct comething of your
own. But the tool is well worth the money, IMO.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old May 4th 05, 08:32 AM
Kalera Stratton

I've been using the Corina's Squeeze for about a year, and haven't had
any beads crack yet... two of my favorite bracelets are made of Squeezed
beads, and I've had no problems at all, nor have I received complaints
on any of the hundreds of sets I've made so far. I occasionally use
1/16" mandrels, but for the most part I use 3/32" and even with the
thinner walls I've never had a problem.

http://www.beadwife.com
Old May 4th 05, 01:36 PM
gwacie

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
I have to laugh that someone told you that lentils aren't the "in" press...
it's a pretty classic shape. Not everyone has to be on the cutting edge of
bead shapes/styles, after all! I love the cutting-edge stuff, but classic
has a lot of appeal; look at Kandice, and at Tink's "Osaka" beads! Good
stuff. Beautiful beads done well are always "in".

Kalera, I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking the same basic thing!

Now, for the topic at hand:
I have only bought presses from Zoozii at this point and overall I like
them. My favorite is the pillow. I am lentil challenged (I end up using a
hand press AND a Zoozii lentil to get the shape and ends I want). I don't
like the diamonds as much as the pillows to work with or in finished shape.
My next purchase will probably be a bead squeeze from somewhere when I have
a few extra pennies to spend. Better go make some beads so that will
happen!