Red glaze

Old July 3rd 04, 06:22 PM
Kevin Baldwin

Default Red glaze

The following is a very good glaze when fired to 1265'C on white stoneware
in an electric kiln. I use it all the time, its very stable does not run
when soaked for 18 minutes.

Potash Feldspar 44
Quartz 14
Bone Ash 14
Talc 10
A.K. Ball Clay 8
H.V Ball Clay 5
Lithium Carbonate 3
Bentonite 2
______________ 100%
Plus;
Red Iron Oxide 11

Old July 9th 04, 02:12 PM
CNB

I tried that glaze but I didn't have A.K. Ball Clay or H.V. Ball Clay so I
used 13% OM4 and I tried it on a buff clay. I did not get the red color that
I wanted. It was brown. Do you think it was due to substituting the ball
clay or because of the clay body I used? The picture in the book showed a
deep red with black mottling which was beautiful. I didn't get that. Also
can you tell me what cone that you fire it too? I tried fireing it to
several different cone temperatures. All came out brown.
Thanks,
CNB

k...

Old July 10th 04, 02:20 AM
dkat

What iron did you use? For oxidation firings it has been our experience
that you need to use Special (Spanish) red iron oxide... Otherwise as you
say you get a brown (maybe a red on the inside of the pot). DKat

Old July 10th 04, 04:15 PM
CNB

I used "Rio" red iron oxide. Is that the same thing? What cone do you fire
it to?
Crystal

Old July 10th 04, 04:19 PM
CNB

Thanks for the picture. That is exactly the color I want to come up with.
Crystal

. uk...

Old July 10th 04, 11:50 PM
dkat

Those are both really lovely and without GERTSLEY BORATE!

Old July 10th 04, 11:55 PM
dkat

We fire to cone six. The only two iron oxides that I have known of for
getting red in an oxidation firing are "Spanish" and "Special". I don't
know about "Rio". We rarely get anything as nice as what was posted though
(I do wish this country would move into the 21st century so we could post
pictures freely - that was a real treat to see those samples - I shouldn't
rant about how most of S Korea is on fast internet connections of one form
or another and the U.S. only has a small part of it connections not still on
modems...)

Old July 11th 04, 11:55 AM
ShantiP1

There are a couple of things that may have made the difference. Did you use
real bone ash or synthetic? Also, these oxidation saturated iron glazes have to
be applied thickly!
Usually, refiring the piece in a bisque firing will bring out the red. This
also works with high fired shinos.
And, lastly, use the more expensive iron oxide -- Spanish or even better the
95% Red Iron Oxide which is more expensive, but would give you a better chance
of getting what you want. You can find it on line if your local dealer doesn't
carry it.

Regards,
June
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/shambhalapottery/
Old July 11th 04, 11:31 PM
Bubbles

"CNB" wrote in message
Thanks for the picture. That is exactly the color I want to come up with.
Crystal

What picture? I can't find a link anywhere on this thread :-(

Marianne

Old July 12th 04, 07:39 PM
D Kat

I hestitate to ask but since you shared the red can you share the green?
Thanks in any case

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM