Red effect glazes in an electric kiln

Old July 3rd 04, 02:58 PM
J M

Default Red effect glazes in an electric kiln

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to obtain reds and/or bright colours in
the glazes when fired in an electric kiln?

I understand that you need a reduced environment for these, but is it
possible during an oxidised firing?

I'm new to experimenting in mixing my own glazes, and at the moment, its a
mind-boggling array of scientific calculations. So does anyone have any
glaze recipes I can experiment with?

Is there an idiots guide to glaze making? ;-)

When first starting did any of you find mixing own glazes mind-boggling, and
if so, how did you overcome it?

Old July 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Ken

You can get red and bright orange and yellows with cadmium selium glazes at
lower temps in Oxidation firing ie electric kiln Unless you need a large
volume it is probably much simpler to purchase prepared from local pottery
( Ceramic ) supplier . They have reds for much higher temps also and fired
as reduction

Old July 3rd 04, 09:45 PM
wayneinkeywest

Yes JM:
There are a few "idiot's guides to glaze making":

You can buy a cheap version of glaze calculation software, such as
GlazeMaster
(my favorite), Insight, Matrix etc. The software will do all that nasty
math for you and print out a recipe for you to try

There are any number of good books for glazes, such as Clay and Glazes for
the Potter, Potter's Pallette, just do a Google search and prepare to be
boggled.

I've struggled for a few years now to create cone 10 glazes for porcelain
and have come up with four that work for me.
With my clear, I can add colors that mimic a rainbow of choices. But I had
to "borrow" a tenmoku and adjust it for my clay. I'm still in search of the
perfect blue :)

Good Luck!

--
Wayne Seidl
Key West, Florida, USA

Old July 4th 04, 05:05 AM
DKat

J M wrote:
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to obtain reds and/or bright colours in
the glazes when fired in an electric kiln?

I understand that you need a reduced environment for these, but is it
possible during an oxidised firing?

I'm new to experimenting in mixing my own glazes, and at the moment, its a
mind-boggling array of scientific calculations. So does anyone have any
glaze recipes I can experiment with?

Is there an idiots guide to glaze making? ;-)

When first starting did any of you find mixing own glazes mind-boggling, and
if so, how did you overcome it?

You can get an earthy red with lots of Spanish or special iron oxide in
your glaze.

digitalfire.com was an excellent source for information but I can no
longer find my way around it. You might try it though (there was a
great article on Red Iron Oxide glazes which I could not find).
Mastering Cone 6 Glazes is very nice and has a nice clear glossy glaze
that is a raspberry red. Low firing with stains I know works... You can
get reds in oxidation firings... they just can't be copper red (which if
not reduced is green... partially reduced is a really ugly green/red).

http://www.digitalfire.ab.ca/cermat/...ml#GlazesColor

http://members.bellatlantic.net/%7Espilacho/index.htm
Old July 6th 04, 10:57 AM
J M

Thanks for the replies...I'll certainly do some investigating.
I forgot to mention that my glaze firings are to 1250 C as I work with
stoneware, so I'd be looking at high temp glazes.
I have a few basic recipes, but red isn't one of them.
I too would like a nice deep blue glossy glaze - our local college has a
fantastic mottled blue, but haven't managed to get the same effect. It's
almost a blue/black with brown/purple-ish flecks - any ideas? I imagine a
lot of cobalt is used!??

FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
F/A @ EBAY Electric Kiln BATMAN.ROBIN Pottery 0 September 15th 03 07:52 AM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM