Advice needed -- Cutting Narrow Strips

Old September 14th 03, 05:12 AM
Joe Cahill

Default Advice needed -- Cutting Narrow Strips

I am having difficulty cutting narrow and long strips of glass. The strips
need to be about 1/4 inch wide -- length isn't too critical, but I'd like to
get it about a foot or so. I'm working on the Odessy variant of Tiffany's
Lotus Lamp and there are more narrow pieces of glass involved than I care to
think about. I am using Uroboros glass which is beautiful and expensive. I
seem to be tossing away more than I am using. Any advice would be most
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old September 14th 03, 11:14 AM
Elizabeth in UK

Even with a strip cutter you might find it tough especially if you are
using some of the more exotic glasses - yough or uro etc.
You might find it easier to cut strips that are the 'longer' dimension
of the pieces and cut your 1/4" pieces off them.
Elizabeth in UK
http://www.stainedglass.co.uk
Old September 14th 03, 04:48 PM
Joe Cahill

WOW!!! So simple. I'll have to reorganize the way I visualize the glass
layout, but I'm sure that this will make life much easier for me. Thanks so
much for a quick and useful response. I do rather enjoy simple (and
somewhat obvious) solutions to the difficult problems I tend to encounter.

om...

Old September 18th 03, 05:19 PM
JIM SIMMONS

what you do, is to make an even number of strips (odd number of cuts) and
then place the breaking pliers in the center so that you have an even
number of strips on each side. Then break
keep this up so that there are always an equal number of strips on each
side and you will probably be just fine.

I.E., 8 strips
4 on each side of pliers
break.
next put 2 on each side and break
then put 1 on each side and break.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Elizabeth in UK wrote:

Even with a strip cutter you might find it tough especially if you are
using some of the more exotic glasses - yough or uro etc.
You might find it easier to cut strips that are the 'longer' dimension
of the pieces and cut your 1/4" pieces off them.
Elizabeth in UK
http://www.stainedglass.co.uk

OT- NYC'ers fashion advice needed Beadseeker Beads 6 December 6th 04 07:00 PM
Bead Advice Needed! Beadbimbo Beads 38 May 19th 04 11:53 PM
ADVICE NEEDED: carving rotor for hand-powered "helicopter" Carving 3 January 25th 04 10:25 AM
Advice on Graphing needed Donna Beads 3 December 22nd 03 05:35 AM
Taking pics of beadwork: Advice Needed VManes Beads 12 October 1st 03 04:48 PM