Alpaca and lace vent

Old February 26th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

Default Alpaca and lace vent

"The Other Kim" wrote in message

With more and more beginner knitters around it looks even more impressive

in a "See,
I'm way better than you" way (although that's not why I knit lace, and

it's not what I think when someone compliments me on it: I think I'm good
but not *that* good). I did buy the book you mention, but I'm not going to
spent hundreds of dollars on yarn to make one of the patterns. I am planning
on springing for enough Helen's Lace by Lorna's Laces for a nice shawl for
me, but I'll wait until next month; two of my not-so-local yarn shops give a
10% discount in your birthday month.
Time to increase the stash g

That's not why I knit lace either. I read somewhere that as you knit more
and more, and increase your experience that lace knitting becomes more of
something to try. That applies to me.

That gorgeous Candle Flame shawl I made from Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud at
$4.29 U.S. per hank. I used 2 hanks although the free pattern called for 3
hanks. So, there's no need to spend a pile of money. The yarn was
beautifully soft and comes in great colours NAYY.

I still want to make the Peacock Feathers shawl, (3rd try) and instead of
Jaggerspun Zephyr at $15.50 a hank, I'm going to use Knit Picks "Shimmer"
(alpaca and silk) at 5.49 a hank.

And $70 for needles?!?!?!?! Sheesh, no way.

Me either. I have enough Bryspun circs in most sizes that I usually use
those, and I have a ton of aluminum needles from a million years ago in
Canadian sizes that are still in perfect condition. A U.S. friend also gave
me a small set of bamboo circs that I have used now and then, and they are
lovely.

For socks, I have 4 or 5 sets of aluminum needles, and one set of bamboo
(which bend horribly). I use more than one set because I knit both socks
alternately on each set of needles. That way I don't end up with one sock
syndrome. ;D

Shelagh

Shelagh

Old February 27th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I like wood needles for cable needles and for picking up stitches when I
have been frogging, and I keep a couple in the needle case that follows me
around, but I have come to prefer steel needles for actual knitting at
sizes below 3.5 mm. (held in a knitting sheath.)

I thought the whole idea of lace was to use such a little bit of yarn that
you could pull the whole shawl through a wedding ring. I thought lace was
the ultimate in cheap knitting thrills. ; D

Aaron.

"The Other Kim" wrote in message
Aaron wrote:

Yes, the BIG Santa Clara convention Center, in the heart of Silicon
Valley.
snipI did buy the book you mention, but I'm not

going to spent hundreds of dollars on yarn to make one of the patterns.
I am planning on springing for enough Helen's Lace by Lorna's Laces for
a nice shawl for me, but I'll wait until next month; two of my
not-so-local yarn shops give a 10% discount in your birthday month.
Time to increase the stash g

And $70 for needles?!?!?!?! Sheesh, no way. Maybe there are enough
beginning knitters out there who think that expensive means better, but
I'll stick with my Addi Naturas and Crystal Palace bamboo DPs for now.
I also like the Brittany birch DPs but tend to break them when knitting
socks; maybe if I didn't knit socks on 2-mm needles this wouldn't happen
as often, ya think? g

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Old February 27th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Aaron wrote:

I like wood needles for cable needles and for picking up stitches when
have been frogging, and I keep a couple in the needle case that
follows me
around, but I have come to prefer steel needles for actual knitting
at
sizes below 3.5 mm. (held in a knitting sheath.)

I drop too many stitches using metal. Bamboo and wood give me the
control I need.

I thought the whole idea of lace was to use such a little bit of yarn
that
you could pull the whole shawl through a wedding ring. I thought lace
was
the ultimate in cheap knitting thrills. ; D

I do hope you mean "cheap" as in inexpensive as opposed to shoddy. It
can be inexpensive and give one more bang for one's buck, but yarn
quality is variable. I want to make a proper wedding-ring shawl one of
these years, but I want to actually see and feel the cobweb to give it a
good yank before buying. I bought some via mail order years ago for my
first try, but the yarn fell apart on me too many times that I just
tossed the whole lot. The yarn has to be strong enough to work with but
fine enough to make that gossamer fabric.

Old February 27th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Yes, I think the J&S lace yarn is about twice as expensive as the other J&S
yarns on a per gram basis. The old Shetland shawls seem to have been as
much about showing off spinning ability as showing off knitting ability. A
society where competence in domestic chores brings great social status.
What a concept!.

So, a Shetland Shawl and Aran sweater are both 200-plus hour projects. The
sweater will take 6 times the weight of wool as the shawl, but the shawl
yarn is twice as expensive per gram. Therefore, the shawl is 3 times
cheaper per hour. Therefore, in 200 hours you can save enough to buy a
round at the pub when you finish : ) If we all did a few shawls, we could
save enough to get together at a good pub and have a blowout, stagger home
in no condition to knit, celebration. ; D

Aaron

Old February 27th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"JJMolvik" wrote in message
. ..
Count me in on the staggering!!!!!!

JJMolvik

Me too..... just tell me where and when (grin).

Shelagh

Old February 27th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Shillelagh spun a FINE 'yarn':

"JJMolvik" wrote in message
. ..
Count me in on the staggering!!!!!!

JJMolvik

Me too..... just tell me where and when (grin).

Shelagh

splort, wondering if one could be charged with DUI or DWI on our
brooms????
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com

Old February 27th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JJMolvik

No, FUI or FWI.

Old February 27th 07, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Speaking of brooms ,,,, i am told , that if you rub some Good will oil
on it they fly better ,,,
mirjam

No, FUI or FWI.

Old February 28th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen spun a FINE 'yarn':

Speaking of brooms ,,,, i am told , that if you rub some Good will oil
on it they fly better ,,,
mirjam

Or a very good canuba wax???

Noreen
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 000718-0, 02/27/2007
Tested: 2/27/2007 10:51:10 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Alpaca Advice Alison Yarn 6 October 19th 06 01:38 AM
OT Alpaca sweater [email protected] Quilting 22 November 6th 05 08:12 PM
OT - Baby Alpaca Dumpling Quilting 11 September 16th 03 07:48 PM
Trying to get together an order of alpaca HannahRach Yarn 1 July 25th 03 09:15 PM