new RED swearter

Old February 22nd 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default new RED swearter

OHHHHH i started my new RED sweater , i found a nice pattern , spent
most day calculating [wish me luck !!!] because i start from the neck
down , the posittion of the various deatails so that they meet [ WISH
] at the underarms ,,,
mirjam

Old February 22nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
OHHHHH i started my new RED sweater , i found a nice pattern , spent
most day calculating [wish me luck !!!] because i start from the neck
down , the posittion of the various deatails so that they meet [ WISH
] at the underarms ,,,
mirjam

I love topdown patterns....have several for babies......and one for me I
hope to start soon, still looking for the yarn. I like wool blends that are
machine washable.

Donna

Old February 23rd 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Ever since i started knitting without seams i do it from the top down
Yesterday i saw i made a mistake ,,,, reknitted 4 rows ,,,, ooooph ,,
but now i counted counted made diagrams and PRAY that i made the right
stitch at the right place ,,,,
this of course is a good motivation for knitting it , whenever i have
the time . Now that i have once gone through the 20 rows of the
pattern the reasoning of it comes clear , i am still extremely
carefull at the raglan lines where i add 2 stich each second row ,,,,
and the v part also grows ,,
I have made the pattern middle point in middle back and counted from
there ,,,, go count when you have 19 ,,,, made a plan and calculated
which stitches of the pattern i should start as the V part grows ,,,,

Old February 23rd 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
DAB

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Ever since i started knitting without seams i do it from the top down
Yesterday i saw i made a mistake ,,,, reknitted 4 rows ,,,, ooooph ,,
but now i counted counted made diagrams and PRAY that i made the right
stitch at the right place ,,,,
this of course is a good motivation for knitting it , whenever i have
the time . Now that i have once gone through the 20 rows of the
pattern the reasoning of it comes clear , i am still extremely
carefull at the raglan lines where i add 2 stich each second row ,,,,
and the v part also grows ,,
I have made the pattern middle point in middle back and counted from
there ,,,, go count when you have 19 ,,,, made a plan and calculated
which stitches of the pattern i should start as the V part grows ,,,,
mirjam

I like directions for increasing every row and have to use stitch markers, I
don't like patterns that call for work for 4 or some such rows and do this
or that....even using a row counter I sometimes lose trackG The baby
sweaters are a good project for me to start with as they are small.....after
a few I should be ready to tackle a bigger project.

Donna

Old February 23rd 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I know what you mean by patterns that might go wrong ,,, but from time
to time i crave a `sculptured look`, and i just `fell ` for that
pattern and i think that after doing it severl times it sort of `shows
you where to do it and when , also it has all the going on on one side
, thus the inner side is only purl ...
mirjam

Old February 23rd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JJMolvik

Hey, I'm working in red too! But I'm making a felted cat bed for my DM &
DF's Monster cats. (20lbs & 17lbs) They turned 2 yo on the 19th of this
month. Thought it might be a good birthday gift. LOL

JJMolvik

Old February 23rd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
OHHHHH i started my new RED sweater , i found a nice pattern , spent
most day calculating [wish me luck !!!] because i start from the neck
down , the posittion of the various deatails so that they meet [ WISH
] at the underarms ,,,
mirjam

Mirjam,

I have made several top down sweaters. Please let us know how it turns
out and maybe a picture.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old February 24th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

If I were knitting another top down sweater, I would study Meg Swanson's
work very carefully. Her mother (EZ) was one of the form's foremost
advocates. MS has EZ's knitting journals and I think that in her later
books, MS perfects the form.

A.

Old February 24th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dennis yesterday i found a mistake and ripped out 2 [ long ] rows ,,
my only problem besides worrying if i calculated all patterns in
proper place , was that the increase of stitches doesn`t enable me to
make the ` whole pattern at once`,,, if i already come to the point of
k 2 together , but still haven`t got the place to make the loop ,,,,
it is not clever to knit those 2 tog, i just k2 ,,, this makes the top
a bit messy looking ot strange ,,, but the more stiches i get the
better it becomes ,,, USUALLY i play and calculate till the TOP looks
perfect , patterns are joining or rather sprouting, from each other
in harmony ,, this time , no matter how i drew my pattern ,,,,, it
wouldn`t do it ,, may be i should have [ i still am thinking about
doing it ????????????] just work in knit or some other neutral pattern
till i have all stitcches , i am going to look and if i am not happy i
will do just that ,,,i must tried to see if i could moove the pattern
like a braid on the front , but it won`t do it neatly ,,
mirjam

Old February 24th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I have been knitting one piece , no seam sweaters and other items ,
amongst which also the top down ones, since the early seventies
[1970+] . This gave a friend of mine the idea to lend me " Knitting
without tears", to read . i even wrote a letterto Zimmermann and she
suggested that i try and sell my own patterns to mags, i never tried,
I was more impressed with
"One piece Knits That Fit " by Margaret Hubert who is still alive and
very active in writing books and about free form crochet and knitting.
knitting top down was done for babies many years before those books,
After one realizes that raglan sit better when done in one piece the
next rational thing is trying to knit down ,,,
mirjam