Power inverter at art shows

Old July 13th 04, 05:56 PM
Paul Fincannon

Default Power inverter at art shows

Hi,

I need some AC power for our next show. I saw someone using a power
inverter with a battery at a show last week, but wasn't able to speak
with them. Has anyone used this? I will use if for my credit card
machine, maybe a fan. I was thinking of buying one that handles 400
watts at Home Depot, but my main question is regarding the battery.
What kind of battery should I buy? How long will it last? Is it
rechargeable? I won't be close enough to plug into my car. Also, I
read that the inverter should be about 10 feet from the battery, but I
haven't seen how people extend that length. Any advice, or direction
to somewhere on the web, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Perplexed Paul
Old July 16th 04, 08:33 AM
Some Anon

On 13 Jul 2004 09:56:54 -0700, Perplexed Paul wrote:

I need some AC power for our next show. I saw someone using a power

^^^^^^^
inverter with a battery at a show last week, but wasn't able to speak
with them.

^^^^

Well, make up your mind. Was it a someone, or was it multiple ones.

Has anyone used this?

Obviously. You already said you saw one in use.

I will use if for my credit card
machine, maybe a fan. I was thinking of buying one that handles 400
watts at Home Depot, but my main question is regarding the battery.
What kind of battery should I buy? How long will it last? Is it
rechargeable?

An RV battery would fit the ticket. Check at *-Mart. Automotive
batteries are designed for the short-term large current draw required
by the engine's starter. RV batteries are designed for lower current
draw for longer periods of time.
Let's say you get one that's rated at 50 amp hours (pulling a number
out of thin air). That means you can draw 1 amp (~10 watts AC) for 50
hours or 10 amps (~105 watts AC) for 5 hours.

I won't be close enough to plug into my car. Also, I
read that the inverter should be about 10 feet from the battery, but I
haven't seen how people extend that length.

Where did you read that?

Any advice, or direction
to somewhere on the web, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the inverter needed to be 10 feet from the battery, why would they
only put a 2½' cord on it?

--
When did schools stop teaching that a plural pronoun needs a plural antecedent?
Old July 16th 04, 03:56 PM
Paul Fincannon

Thank you very much for the information and the reply. I truly appreciate it.

I apologize that my post as written annoyed you.
Old July 16th 04, 04:01 PM
dkat

"Some Anon" wrote in message
[...]

wow.... when did potters start giving a ____? I guess I'm still a 60's
hippie...

Old July 17th 04, 02:18 PM
Bob Masta

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 07:33:27 GMT, Some Anon
wrote:

On 13 Jul 2004 09:56:54 -0700, Perplexed Paul wrote:

I won't be close enough to plug into my car. Also, I
read that the inverter should be about 10 feet from the battery, but I
haven't seen how people extend that length.

Where did you read that?

Any advice, or direction
to somewhere on the web, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If the inverter needed to be 10 feet from the battery, why would they
only put a 2½' cord on it?

I suspect the recommendation was that the inverter should be 10 feet
*or less* from the battery, as longer leads will mean higher
resistance and more voltage drop under heavy loads. If you truly need
longer leads, you could use heavier-gage (lower number) wire to give
lower resistance. You'd have to determine what gage the inverter
maker said was OK at 10 feet and not exceed that equivalent
resistance. Write back with the specified gage for 10 feet, and the
length you really need, if you want help selecting a heavier gage.

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com

funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 01:05 PM
Trading Card, Craft & collectible shows Patrick W. Schubert Sr. General Crafting 0 October 26th 04 07:11 AM
why i hate e-bay Michele Blank Glass 41 August 28th 04 12:36 AM
Using a power inverter for AC power at an art fair Paul Fincannon Marketplace 0 July 14th 04 04:50 PM
Power Pro and Power Cord Marisa Exter Beads 12 April 15th 04 03:02 PM