Digital vs. Kiln Sitter

Old July 1st 04, 08:14 PM
Heidi

Default Digital vs. Kiln Sitter

Am researching kilns for purchase and was wondering if anyone has a
simple summary of the advantages/disadvantages between a digital
controller vs. kiln setter. Any advice would be appreciated.

Heidi
Old July 2nd 04, 12:33 AM
Steve Mills

A pyrometer/controller measures pure temperature. A cone whether in a
Kiln Sitter or on its own measures accumulated heat-work which is what
clay and glazes respond to. So very much simplified; A controller for
convenience, a cone for greater accuracy. A combination of the two
(which is what I have in my electric kiln) is the best of both worlds!

Steve

In article , Heidi
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 2nd 04, 02:18 PM
Tony

The Controller is very helpful if you are doing crystalline glazes and need
a controlled cool down and hold periods for crystal growth.
Steve's sounds great. It would be nice for the cone in the sitter to
trigger the cool down ramp and not just shut off the kiln. Is that how
yours works Steve?

Tony

Old July 3rd 04, 12:01 AM
Steve Mills

Alas no; the sitter is wired in as per normal to shut off power when the
mini-cone goes. Controlled cooling is not something I need; I don't do
crystalline glazes.

Steve

In article , Tony
writes

Old July 4th 04, 06:43 PM
WYGK

A modern controller uses a computer to determine the
amount of heat-work done, and allow you to fire to a
particular "cone." It's always a good idea to have some
cones in your kiln for verification, but when properly
calibrated, a controller is every bit as accurate as a kiln
sitter.

In addition, the controller allows you to program firing
ramps (raising the temperature slowly through critical
stages, faster in others); to hold the temperature or
"soak" at a particular temperature; or to pre-heat
the kiln or use it to dry ware.

I wouldn't even consider buying a kiln without a controller.
Old July 5th 04, 12:51 PM
Heidi

Thanks for your advice, everyone. These explanations make a lot of sense.
Old July 6th 04, 03:43 AM
Andrew Werby

"WYGK" wrote in message
om...
A modern controller uses a computer to determine the
amount of heat-work done, and allow you to fire to a
particular "cone." It's always a good idea to have some
cones in your kiln for verification, but when properly
calibrated, a controller is every bit as accurate as a kiln
sitter.

[The kiln-sitter can act as a failsafe, to make sure you don't destroy the
inside of the kiln (or worse) if the controller goes haywire. Just put a
cone in there that's well over the temperature you're going for, or the
extra heat-work of the soak cycle can melt it and shut the kiln off
prematurely. ]

In addition, the controller allows you to program firing
ramps (raising the temperature slowly through critical
stages, faster in others); to hold the temperature or
"soak" at a particular temperature; or to pre-heat
the kiln or use it to dry ware.

[Right, the ability to soak at temperature really helped us eliminate
pinholing. It also lets one cast glass in the same kiln.]

I wouldn't even consider buying a kiln without a controller.

[I'd agree - just the ability to set it once and let it carry on is worth a
lot - no more having to get up in the middle of the night to turn it up! The
noise of the relays clicking on and off takes getting used to, though...]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Old July 12th 04, 10:50 PM
Heidi

Further question to this post...I'm actually doing research for a
friend who does not have access to the Internet right now. She is
wondering if there is much chance of the computer in the digital
sitter breaking down or malfunctioning. I suspect that she finds the
mere mention of anything "digital" quite daunting and wants to know if
it's really worth it. Thanks.
Old July 12th 04, 10:55 PM
Charles Spitzer

"Heidi" wrote in message
om...
Further question to this post...I'm actually doing research for a
friend who does not have access to the Internet right now. She is
wondering if there is much chance of the computer in the digital
sitter breaking down or malfunctioning. I suspect that she finds the
mere mention of anything "digital" quite daunting and wants to know if
it's really worth it. Thanks.

sure there's some chance. how often does your computer break down?

the hotter it gets, the more frequently it breaks down. if you can't mount
the controller on the wall, have a fan running to blow into it whilst the
kiln is on.