Veering off topic - steamers

Old August 27th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default Veering off topic - steamers

says...

Or was it Lindy's? Gosh,

There was a Lindy's somewhere that had fabulous cheesecake.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old August 27th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:38:10 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

Did you know the rumor that Lundy's was owned by the "alleged" Mafia and
the
waiters were ex cons? It may even be true. I think Theresa Brewer was
married to one of the owners. It was a really interesting place, with an
interesting story attached.

My Uncle Carmine was "allegedly" involved with things falling off
trucks, but I didn't know about the connection at Lundy's. There was
the clam bar, then the waiters running around in that giant downstairs
part or you could sit upstairs near the windows. My Dad brought me
there all the time. He know a man who worked there, but I was young
enough not to remember his name.

Randazzo's was some of the very best Italian food on the planet and Pips
Coffee House was where I saw David Brenner and George Carlin for the very
first time, when they were very, young.

I spent a lot of nice evenings there.

I worked there for a while at the clam bar. When I lived in Bergen
Beach Towers on Avenue U and E. 69th St. our neighbors were the owners
of Pips. Geeze I am forgetting names a lot these days. Their son's
name was Gary and he was the first boy I kissed. I was way too young
to actually go to Pips, but I do have a tribute to George Carlin on my
blog. We just went to see him last year when he came through the
area.

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/
Security is not what I have, it's what I can do without,,,

George Carlin was, in my estimation, possibly the most clever comic who was
ever born. If not the very best, certainly up there in the top 5.

Old August 27th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 6:30*pm, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Maybe I'll stick to the iron for the work shirts.

Use the RAF ironing technique. Iron the cuffs, the collar and the centre
portion of the front.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK

Lol Bruce , you naughty boy - okay I did it in winter when I could get
away with a 'wooly pully' all the time . I celebrated when they
withdrew 'hairy Mary's' as uniform even though I kept mine for fancy
dress !!!!
Jan
Old August 27th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:48:52 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Maybe I'll stick to the iron for the work shirts.

I have never had one, nor used one but people who talked about them
said they are not what they are cracked up to be, not if you are
looking to hang a shirt up and quickly, simply iron it. Best use the
iron.

If you are looking to deal with shirts quickly and
easily (and still get a nice result), I think an iron definitely
beats a steamer. If you really want to go faster, a mangle
might be helpful, but sometimes that really depends on your
shirts. Well made shirts that can be made to lie nice and
flat can be pressed with a mangle quickly, but some shirts
are cut so that you need a zillion different angles on it
to get a nice result, and then a mangle won't help you much
at all.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 27th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley Shone

In message , "Bruce Fletcher
(remove dentures to reply)" writes
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Maybe I'll stick to the iron for the work shirts.

Use the RAF ironing technique. Iron the cuffs, the collar and the
centre portion of the front.

That is similar to the Navy fashion.
First the sleeves, then the chest,
Leave the front and bugger the rest.

That is what DH taught me when I had to iron his uniform shirts when we
first got married. However I ironed them all over.
We got married and I went to Malta to join him there.
I had no running hot water, all water had to be heated on paraffin
stoves. No bathroom and a tin bath to bathe in.
We moved to a flat with a bathroom with a gas water heater, a rather
dangerous affair because of the fumes it made. Had to leave the window
wide open while the bath was running. Then turn the heater off before
going in the bath.
I used to wash clothes in the bath in mainly cold water, no washing
machines. No fridge just an ice box and a daily delivery of a large lump
of ice to put in it.
Used to cook on paraffin primus stoves. An oven consisted of a tin box
that was stood on top of the burners. Only regulator was adjusting the
wick, too low and the thing went out, too high and the whole kitchen got
sooted up. We used to call them black outs.
Still I would not have missed it for the world.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old August 27th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 27, 11:48*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Maybe I'll stick to the iron for the work shirts.

Do they *really* need ironing, or just touching up? Most of DH's work
shirts (so-called permanent press), if they're wrinkled, I'll toss
back into the dryer with a small, damp towel and make sure I take them
out as soon as the dryer's done, if not before. I rarely have to iron
his shirts, unless they're all cotton.

Joan
Old August 28th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Sara

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:28:00 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

I was thinking clams too. All the talk about Brooklyn reminded me of a
place called "Lundy's" where we would go for a bucket of steamers.

I remember going to Lundy's occasionally with my grandparents about 40
or more years ago. My grandfather ate scrod and I don't have the
slightest recollection of what I ate.

Sheepshead Bay, wasn't it?

Sara