New Here

Old April 1st 05, 10:13 PM
Camden

Now I KNOW my husband will check it out!

My sister (She Who Does All Artsy Fartsy Things Perfectly) does some
FABULOUS nude sketches. I have one hanging in my bedroom. The woman in
the sketch has the rear end I hope to obtain by continuing with my
martial arts. She's up there as a reminder why I go to class with high
hopes and leave bruised and beat up!

Tara

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Warning - Jim does rather excellent nudes.
Cheryl

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 4:13:24 PM

Old April 2nd 05, 12:19 AM
clancy

Huck weaving can be done on all the fabrics I mentioned - or any other
fabric with floats (visible groups of warp or weft) that a arranged in a
checkerboard pattern, and loose enough for the embroidery thread to pass
under the floats without unduly distorting the ground weave. (Source:
Plain and Fancy Huck Embroidery by Bonnie Datta)

Sharon (N.B.)

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
clancy wrote:

Huck Weaving is a Swedish needleart - it can be done on a variety of

fabrics
like monk's cloth, aida, evenweaves, etc. It's a surface embroidery

which
looks lovely on afghans, tablecloths, placemats, clothing. It is so
relaxing to do and isn't hard at all - also a great carry along. If

you'd
like to look at some examples, go to http://averyhill.com ... they have

some
beautiful work on their site.

Actually, huck weaving is distinctive in that it's worked on huck cloth
- either cotton or linen. This cloth has floaters (aida also has
floaters) and none of the thread is on the back side of the work . . .
it is all on the front.

The weaving done on even weaves or monks cloth is worked differently,
since there are no floaters, and the stitches cross on the back side.
It's a modern-day version of huck (Swedish) weaving.

Yes, it can be quite beautiful. It's a simple darning process to
master. You'll be a pro with your first piece. :-)

Dianne

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 2nd 05, 04:26 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I don't know why I keep saying "floaters" when I mean floats. :-) I
was merely pointing out that huck weaving is done on huck cloth, thus
the name. A plain even weave and monks cloth (basket weave) do not have
these floats, therefore you must pass under the weave. I've done this
on monks cloth and the results are not the same (on the back side).
Fabric with floats (aida is one) is different and handled differently.
There is no thread on the back side. It's not that you *can't* do the
work on anything other than fabrics with floats. It's that it's handled
differently. And it's not the traditional "huck" weaving process. It
is a darning process using traditional huck weaving patterns.

I'm not disagreeing, just splitting hairs. I used to retail the books
you mentioned in your post. I'm familiar with the darning on monks
cloth craze. :-)

Dianne

clancy wrote:
Huck weaving can be done on all the fabrics I mentioned - or any other
fabric with floats (visible groups of warp or weft) that a arranged in a
checkerboard pattern, and loose enough for the embroidery thread to pass
under the floats without unduly distorting the ground weave. (Source:
Plain and Fancy Huck Embroidery by Bonnie Datta)

Sharon (N.B.)
.................................................. ..........................
..

Old April 2nd 05, 04:50 PM
Cheryl Isaak

DS has two girl cousins that seem to have an "interest" in him, he's
clueless and I want to keep it that way! LOL
T is in IL and we don't see them often, but we'll be seeing K soon and I'll
keep my eyes open.

Cheryl

On 4/1/05 4:08 PM, in article , "Camden"
wrote:

My son has a crush on his cousin and she has a crush on him. They
haven't seen each other in 6 years but they talk on the phone and play
computer games online together (she likes "guy" games so she must be
good in his eyes - he is a "nice" boy so she likes him!)

I'm taking him with me to visit them at the end of the month. They are
both so giddy with excitement it's funny. Cousin crushes are normal.
I'll tease him until he turns purple (not hard to do right now). She's
already asked her mom the dreaded question, "Can cousins get married?"
As she is only 8 I have a strong feeling this will all pass. While they
are biologically different ages she's very mature and very smart (and
tall) for her age.

We'll be keeping a CLOSE eye on these two!

Tara

Hi Cheryl,

Oh yeah, a teenager in the house. Puberty is such a great time (not)!

NO, it is not. Though it is fun to see him attempt to shrink into
invisibility when:
A. Mom or Dad bump into a friend/coworker in a restaurant, store or anywhere
else.
B. Dad or Mom realizes he's being checked out
Or WORST
He's doing the once over.

The memorial samplers are a lost art over here; however, I'm doing my
best to bring attention to them.

GO FOR IT!

Cheryl

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/1/2005 4:08:12 PM

Old April 2nd 05, 05:52 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Camden wrote:
I have a 3 ring binder I keep my "to-do" patterns in. That way I do them
in order based on their "due date" - otherwise I get too distracted by
the new patterns I can't help but buy!

Tara
(Is there a 12-step program for people like us?)

Tara,
I love them all!

Awhile ago, I think Karen posted a 12-step program, but I suspect for
*us* it'll be at least 24 steps!

Sue
Old April 3rd 05, 04:10 AM
clancy

But it is still called huck weaving according to my book if it is done on
aida, evenweave, etc. Of course it will have a different look - just as
would cross-stitch done on 14 count aida versus 28 count Belfast linen.

Sharon (N.B.) (who had to take out a good third of a line of a 60" afghan
tonight on her huck weaving project cuz I made a mistake in the previous
line which screwed up the next line - why is it we don't see this till half
way thru the next line? )

Old April 3rd 05, 04:49 AM
Camden

Thank you! Today my sister sent me an email with a photo of one I had
done for her a loooooong time ago. In fact, while I know I did it I had
totally forgotten who got it. It was a bird - part of a seasonal set. I
know I did one other from the set but I have NO idea who got it. Braid dead.

Tara

Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen wrote:
Camden wrote:
I have a 3 ring binder I keep my "to-do" patterns in. That way I do them

in order based on their "due date" - otherwise I get too distracted by
the new patterns I can't help but buy!

Tara
(Is there a 12-step program for people like us?)

Tara,
I love them all!

Awhile ago, I think Karen posted a 12-step program, but I suspect for
*us* it'll be at least 24 steps!

Sue

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0513-2, 04/01/2005
Tested on: 4/2/2005 10:49:20 PM

Old April 3rd 05, 03:02 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

clancy wrote:
But it is still called huck weaving according to my book if it is done on
aida, evenweave, etc. Of course it will have a different look - just as
would cross-stitch done on 14 count aida versus 28 count Belfast linen.

That's what I said to begin with. Note that your book source mentioned
floats. Plain even weave has no floats. Huck weaving is (technically)
weaving on huck, a cloth that contains floats. Aida has floats thus the
process is the same. You can do the process on other fabrics but it's
not the same on the back side. :-) And your "look" analogy is not what
I mean. True huck weaving has no thread on the back side. If you are
darning the same patterns on monk's cloth (which has no floats) or a
plain even weave, you will have threads on the back, and the pattern on
the front will be slightly different because of the distance the needle
travels beneath the weave.

I mentioned that I was splitting hairs. I merely stepped up to the
plate because the term "huck weaving" literally means weaving on huck
cloth, but that modern designers have taken the process to different
fabrics. I merely wanted to point out to the original poster what the
term "huck" meant. Not that you couldn't do the process on something
else. Probably a large percentage of the readers here have never seen
huck cloth.

Dianne