How to join this particular yarn securely but unobtrusively?

Old November 6th 04, 04:30 PM
spampot

Default How to join this particular yarn securely but unobtrusively?

I tried some knitting yesterday, the Oddball Sweater from Threads, which
is straight-around knitting, which I'm making with the lovely heathery
merino Classic Elite "Beatrice" I got from Ranee's destashing. It's
very interesting looking, as it's three separate yarns...let me see, how
can I describe this? Rope-laid, I think, says it best -- the three
yarns are like fingering, twisted together to make one thicker yarn.
The label says the gauge is 4 sts/inch on size 10-1/2 needles. The
problem comes when I try to join a new ball. Knotting it seems to be
the only way of doing it securely, but of course the knots show on such
a large gauge. The three strands don't like to stay together when the
ends are loose, and weaving them in still leaves thicker spots, as does
the "Fair-Isle-type" join. Knitting a few stitches with both yarns is
utterly impossible as it leaves very thick spots. Does anyone have any
ideas? I think it's going to look terrific when it's done, but the
balls are only 63 yds each so you can see I have a LOT of joins to
contend with.
Old November 6th 04, 04:55 PM
Wooly

Snip each strand stair-step style, make the new ball mirror-image,
then make a spit-splice. As long as the stuff is 100% non-superwash
wool it'll work.

Otherwise, just leave 6" ends at the ball changes and work in each
individual ply separately when the knitting is done.

Old November 6th 04, 04:58 PM
spampot

I might have known that any real solution would be very work-intensive.
Thanks a million for the suggestions, Wooly. I've never actually
done a split-splice, but weaving in separate plies sounds feasible for
me. Six-inch lengths, though...my heart quails!!

Old November 6th 04, 05:50 PM
Christine in Kent, Garden of England

How about knitting every other stitch with the new/old ball for a few inches
and then sewing the ends in later (Horror of horrors: sewing ends in, but it
might be worth it
HTH
Love Christine

Old November 6th 04, 06:07 PM
spampot

There's a good idea, especially if I take Wooly's advice to weave in the
plies individually =:0 thanks, Christine. I"m afraid any solution is
going to be pretty labor-intensive!

Old November 6th 04, 06:14 PM
Wooly

SPIT splice. Just frizz the ends, overlap, moisten your palm and rub
the ends briskly between your palms to fuse them together. Some folks
like to get the wool all squidgy, I just lick my palm and get after
it. Much faster/easier than weaving in all those ends!

Old November 6th 04, 06:47 PM
spampot

OH! Now I see. Well...that should work. That many splices, though,
could get icky fast. I'll think about it. Would water work or does it
need to be viscous? (Feeling a bit queasy)

Old November 6th 04, 07:56 PM
norma woods

Could you do the Russian method? I think that's what it's called. The one
where you thread the yarn on a needle and weave it back on itself leaving a
loop, and then threading the other yarn on the needle and through the first
loop and then back on itself. I do most of my joins that way now and the
yarn is essentially the same thickness. You would be hardpressed to feel the
join after you've knitted a couple of rows.

--
Star love,
Norma

Old November 6th 04, 08:44 PM
spampot

I thought about that, Norma, but I didn't think I could manage it with
the three components of the yarn so distinct from each other. Maybe
I'll give it a try for the next join; it would certainly be the least
time-consuming!

Need name of yarn Linda Yarn 8 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 05:30 AM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 03:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM