Crazy for Cross Stitch substitution Magazine

Old December 20th 04, 04:03 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "Becky Andresen"
writes:

SW was one of the few magazines I still liked, until Herrschners
decided to abuse it's ownership. I guess I'm down to getting seed catalogs
from the UK now. *sigh*

Have you tried the British XS magazines? There's New Stitches and Cross Stitch
Gold, both of which I was impressed enough with to shell out $60 a year.

--
Finished 12/8/04 -- Army bear ornament
WIP: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler,

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 20th 04, 04:10 AM
Ausxser

Hi Rhea

I subscribe to SANQ as well - I really appreciate the excellent articles and
charts.I fell in love with the antique work boxes they featured recently!

I also like the British Classic Stitches but I don't buy every issue. This
mag has a good selection of all types of needlework from simple to more
complex and instructions are excellent. They have a website
www.classicstitches.com. and they have great freebies and things on their
site. You will need to register but it's free.

Tannia
(remove NO SPAM EVER to reply)

"Rhea " wrote in message
Pat,
I agree with you. I've stopped subscribing to all but ONE magazine and

that is
Sampler and Antique Needlework. This is a magazine I cannot buy over the
counter locally. Other magazines consistently offer patterns that I do

not
like. As my preferences become more complex, the magazines seemed to

become
more simple in their designs. I felt like I was wasting my money.

Rhea form KY

Old December 20th 04, 01:33 PM
Pat P

"Darla" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:20:49 GMT, "Pat P"
wrote:

That`s the truth of the matter - like you, I often picked it up but found
little to appeal. In fact I`ve stopped subscribing to cross stitch mags
completely - you get so much that is of no interest, and as for
information - you get far more on here!!!

Pat P

When word first started going around that they were ceasing
publication, the topic came up for discussion on one of the message
boards I read. One person who was apparently a fan of this rag took
vehement exception when I called the designs "insipid."
Darla

I was just being polite. Tell her that personally, I found them puerile!!!

Pat P

Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Picture Trail Gallery: www.picturetrail.com User Name: Condorita
www.sisquoc.blog-city.com
Get naked to respond.

Old December 20th 04, 02:26 PM
anne

Becky Andresen said
Too bad Herrschners flushed the entire magazine staff, including the editor,
down the toilet not too long ago. I had thought about paying the extra for
an international subscription...but not if the both the subscribers and the
editing staff are treated so shamefully.

Egads ... since it was new to me, I didn't recognize it as the one y'all had
talked about not so long ago.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old December 20th 04, 04:01 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Karen

Maybe you were hunting in the wrong spots for advertisers.

I published a (started as monthly then became) weekly newsletter,
circulation rarely used up all of the 250 issues published each week.
Subscriptions during our peak season was only 242, but most of the
time it was just around 225.

We managed to pick up 16 advertisers on a continuous basis, which
helped out considerably. Of course, with a true circulation of only
225, the advertising fee was very low. A card sized 'imaged' ad was
only $150.00 per year, if paid quarterly it was $40.00 per quarter.

In the case of the particular newsletter I was publishing, the
subscribers would normally buy from the advertisers because it was
very hard to find the items associated with the hydroculture hobby
they were selling.

Needless to say, when we first started, I had no advertisers at all.
In fact, I didn't think advertisers would even be interested in such a
small publication. The first four ads we got, they came to me with an
offer of 100 bucks a year, which I gladly accepted. Circulation at
that time was only around 50 paid subscribers.
I did have two 1/4 page free ads, which was an agreement in exchange
for a list of 600 regular customers from one supplier and 750 from
another supplier, which is how we built our normal circulation up to
225 subscribers.
After 6 years we gave the small publication to a broader range
publisher that covered more aspects of like kind hobbies.
I ran it from 1983 to 1990, they carried it through about 1998, after
that I didn't keep in touch.
Although I never made any money for myself, after the first 6 months I
never had a dime out of pocket to publish it. But during the years
our hydroculture stores were open, it did generate a lot of sales
through that venue. So it was well worth the short assembly time!

TTUL
Gary

Old December 21st 04, 12:49 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Karen

Yep that can make it very difficult!

I know of what you speak of also. Because of my line of work, I was
continually being asked about how to do this or that.
Needless to say, the responses became quite repetitive and often meant
I had to make little sketches while explaining it.

I decided to make little 8-1/2x11 trifold pamphlets of my most ask
about topics, this way I could just reach into my truck and hand them
one of my pamphlets and get back to work.
It wasn't too long before I had amassed over 100 different pamphlets
and even had a special rack made for my truck to hold them up out of
harms way.
They were very crude, done on a typewriter to fit around the hand
drawn sketches then duplicated at the local printers. I don't think
we even had access to cheap copiers back then either, because I
remember my minimum order for each one had to be 100 sheets one. It
seemed like a lot, but printing prices was only like 4 or 5 bucks.

Down the road the printer began offering one color other than black
for only 50 cents more on a certain day only. I naturally took
advantage of this, using brown and/or maroon for my most requested
pamphlets.

We had a local hardware chain in St. Louis known as Central Hardware.
Somewhere along the line they managed to obtain a few of my pamphlets,
which prompted the owner to give me a call.
We struck a handsome deal and for the next 20 years they were in
business, all of my toned down pamphlets were available free to anyone
coming into any of Central Hardware's stores.
These led to secondary more advanced pamphlets and eventually small
booklets that were sold at the store. I supplied the text and worked
with a graphics artist they hired (since I can't draw diddly squat
myself) and they rewarded us quite well for our work.

My point is, one never knows what an endeavor may hold in store down
the road. Who knows, someday your newsletter may lead to becoming a
monthly article in a major magazine, without having to come up with
all the filler.

TTUL
Gary

S (Karen C - California) verbositized:

In article ,
(Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) writes:

Maybe you were hunting in the wrong spots for advertisers.

Or could be that the market my newsletter served was not looking for "specialty
products" that could only be acquired from one source. Everything they needed
could be acquired locally.

It didn't help that my local bookstore catering to that field had just started
up itself and didn't have a lot of advertising money, even for established
publications.

Old December 21st 04, 05:44 PM
Pat P

"Becky Andresen" wrote in message

"anne" skrev i melding
ews.com...
At a recent EGA meeting, I rifled through the magazines on the hostess's

coffee
table and found one, Stitcher's World, that appealed to me. So much so,

that I
immediately ordered a subscription. It's full of of graphs/charts, some
of
which even I who has trouble counting stitches can follow g:

http://www.stitchersworld.com/

Too bad Herrschners flushed the entire magazine staff, including the
editor,
down the toilet not too long ago. I had thought about paying the extra
for
an international subscription...but not if the both the subscribers and
the
editing staff are treated so shamefully.

Oh well. SW was one of the few magazines I still liked, until Herrschners
decided to abuse it's ownership. I guess I'm down to getting seed
catalogs
from the UK now. *sigh*

Becky A.

Have you had the Thompson & Morgan seed catalogue? It`s supposed to be one
of the best and is fairly local. If you like I`ll try to get you one.

Pat P

Old December 21st 04, 05:48 PM
Pat P

[...]

Sorry to post twice - but Thompson and Morgan`s website is
www.thompson-morgan.com

Pat P

Old December 22nd 04, 12:02 AM
Sally Swindells

If you subscribe to their on-line newsletter they have very good
monthly plant and bulb etc. offers (for UK only) some for only £4.99
inc. p and p.

Sally