New person looking for crewel

Old July 12th 04, 04:34 PM
fredred102

Default New person looking for crewel

Hi, Does anyone out there do crewel embroidery? I have been doing it on and
off most of my life, well OK started as a teenager. I love doing it and
actually have finished a few things in less than a year. Ha Ha. I am
currently looking for a kit or a pattern for a birth sampler for my
brand-new, very first grandchild. I have found some on line but they are the
ones color printed and half done with only small areas for stitching. I
haven't seen it mentioned on any posts. Am I in the right group? Any
information will be appreciated. Thank you.
I am enjoying reading this group.

Mary in MN

Old July 12th 04, 08:53 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

You are in the right group. WELCOME!

I haven't a clue where to find a crewel pattern as you describe, but if
you're in love with crewel (wool threads on a linen ground) you might
want to take a look at Berlin Embroidery: http://www.berlinembroidery.com

Jenny June Fancyworks also has many kits which are modeled on the crewel
designs but worked with floss.
http://www.jennyjune.com

You might also try looking at: http://www.accomplishments.com

That's all I can think of off the top of my hat!

Dianne

Old July 13th 04, 12:00 AM
fredred102

Thanks, I think I may have sent you a personal thanks but just in case here
it is again. mary in MN

Old July 13th 04, 12:39 AM
Suzanne

On 2004-07-12 14:53:24 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
said:

You might also try looking at: http://www.accomplishments.com

That should be http://www.accomplishments-shop.com/. The link above
takes you to someplace that advertises "advanced computer solutions."
Maybe they changed it recently.
--
Suze
Cat hair? That's just an embellishment.

Old July 13th 04, 12:54 AM
Joan Erickson

fredred102 wrote:

Mary in MN

Welcome! Where in MN are you? I'm just across the border in Grand
Forks! There are a few others on here from the Cities area, too.

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old July 13th 04, 01:12 AM
sewingsusan

Hi Mary!

Welcome to RCTN? Where in MN are you located?? I live in Maplewood!

I just started doing crewel embroidery this past year, after being
introduced to it through an Erica Wilson kit which I picked up at a
thrift store in Mpls. :-)

I have been all over the web looking at crewel embroidery kits and
books - and have a little stash built up already. I don't think (I
may be wrong) that you will find any birth sampler kits or patterns at
any of the Internet stores. I don't think I have seen any, but I
haven't looked specifically for crewel birth announcements/samplers.

As for the local stores here in the Twin Cities, I have only found the
crewel designs with the pre-printed color backgrounds you mentioned at
Michaels and JoAnns, and I am LESS than thrilled with that approach to
crewel embroidery! I don't like for my stitching to be simply
accenting on a pre-printed picture.

I think you may find what you are looking for on ebay. You have to
wade through the posts, but there are always some nice vintage kits
from the 60s and 70s available on ebay - and some newer ones as well.
That's where I have found most of my supplies for crewel embroidery.

Don't give up if most of what you find SCREAMS 70s (orange mush rooms
and owls - ugh!) if you keep looking you should find a nice Beatrix
Potter crewel embroidery kit for a birth sampler from Erica Wilson, I
usually see it up for auction once a month or so. I have also seen
other birth samplers, from other designers, but Erica Wilson remains
my favorite crewel embroidery designer on ebay so that's the one I
took note of.

You may also consider making your own design - depending on how
adventurous you feel. I do not have Erica Wilson's books from the 70s
entitled "Say it with Stitches" and her Baby and Children's Pattern
book (I forget the exact title) but I suspect one or both of them will
have crewel embroidery birth samplers in it. You could email the ebay
sellers and ask for a scan of any birth sampler which may be in either
book before bidding on it. These books go for cheap on ebay (a few
dollars - tops) and may even be available in the "buy it now" ebay
stores. Unfortuantely you'll have to photocopy and trace the design.
A few suggestions are usually made for stitch choices in the text, but
you'll probably have to figure most of that out as well - which
shouldn't be too hard seeing that you are an experienced crewel
embroideress. Just looking at the photos in the book should give you
the guidance you'll need to complete the design.

I have read that someone on this list uses counted cross stitch
patterns for her design source, she translates the XS designs into
patterns for surface embroidery.

If you decide to make your own design, or trace a pattern, you will
need to get some linen and thread to work it. I am collecting
Appleton crewel embroidery skeins, but if I don't have the colors I
need and it's cost prohibitive to buy full skeins for a project, I
have been known to use needlepoint wools. Locally, in the Twin
Cities, I have found that several of the needlepoint shops sell wool
yarn by the strand. I have gotten mine from the "Needlepoint Cottage"
in White Bear Lake - it's the Pateryan (sp?) brand. The needlepoint
yarn is a little thicker than crewel yarn, even after you divide the
3-ply yarn and use just one strand. But it works - and at 12 cents
for a 24" strand - which works out to 6 ft of thread for crewelwork -
it's rather inexpensive to kit yourself up for a project. Plus -
seeing an entire wall of threads is an "Stash Enhancement eXperience"
(we call that " " on this list - lol!) which shouldn't be missed!!
*sigh*. :-)

All in all - your best source for a kit is still ebay - imho. Be sure
to check what the fabric and threads are made of before placing a bid,
some of the old kits have acrylic yarns and synthetic fabrics in them.
Espcially check Bucilla kits, and Sunset. Most of the
Columbia-Minerva kits have wools and linen or cotton fabrics, but some
of these have icky materials as well. All of Elsa Williams kits have
good materials, but I am not terribly found of her crewel wool for
certain stitches - like the long/short stitch.

I have retraced at least one design onto linen fabric because the
rayon fabric supplied with the kit was icky (imho).

My prejudice stems from something I read - that linen and closely
woven cotton "grips" the wool yarn better and makes for a
longer-lasting project. I just like the feel of real wools and linen
as well. I have bought my linen online as well - the Hancock near me
only has synthetic linen-look fabrics. But SR Harris (a dangerous
place for me - haven't been there for years, I used to do a lot of
sewing even did a few wedding parties but decided I didn't like sewing
for a living.) Or the big Hancock at Southtown usually has real linen
(I used to work there) especially in the spring and summer. Another
place to check would be some of the smaller fabric stores which
specialize in natural fibers - there's one at "Miracle Mile" shopping
mall in St. Louis Park and another in St. Paul near the Mac/Groveland
area. I just don't have much time to run around so I find ordering
from the net easier. The company I ordered linen from sent me samples.

The advantage of retracing the design is that you can use a
water-soluable pen or tracing paper (look in the quilt department of
Joanns or Hancock for "chacopy" brand - I really like using that
product), you'll need an empty ballpoint pen, a stylus pen, or
something similiar to trace the design.

Another idea is to find a kit with a cute animal picture or something
of that nature - then retrace the picture & add the birth information
somewhere within the design - on the top or bottom. Or circling the
design. Whatever. In this way you don't have to totally reinvent the
wheel - you can use the wool from the kit for the design and some
extras from your stash for the wording. Or you can replace the wording
in the original design with the Birth Annocement info.

Also - if you have not done ebay before - check on the postage as well
because I got burned on postage and handling a few times when I first
started ebaying.

All in all I have enjoyed what I have found on ebay. I am getting
picker about fabrics and yarns used, I really prefer the appleton
crewels and am thinking of switching out the included thread on a
couple of kits from Erica Wilson which I have sitting here "in
waiting". My kids use what I discard from kits for their craft
projects.

For crewel embroidery other than a birth sampler check out
www.jennyjune.com. Jeanine at Jenny June probably has the best
selection of crewel embroidery on the web - in my opinion.
www.accomplishments-shop.com is another source for crewel embroidery.
I think a third site for you to check out is "needlework corner" -
they have quite a bit in crewel embroidery as well. I have not seen
birth samplers at any of these sites, but I could have overlooked
them.

Happy Stitching and cograds on the grandbaby!! I have not done birth
samplers for any of my 4 children. I am thinking I should just wait
until I am a grandma and have more time. My brother just got married,
so perhaps I will make one for a future neice or nephew. I wasn't
into embroidery when my kids were young (the youngest is just 4 but
the oldest is 12) and didn't have time back then regardless...

BTW, I have heard that Plymouth Congregational Church in Minneapolis
on Nicollet and Franklin Ave is in the process of making the third of
three crewel embroidery panels for their sanctuary. It's scheduled as
a tour for the national EGA convention which be held in Mpls this
fall. I read on the church's website that they welcome new stitchers
to their weekly work sessions on the crewel panels. If you are in the
metro area that may interest you.

Blessings,
Susan in Maplewood :-)
Old July 13th 04, 02:03 AM
fredred102

Thanks for the info.
Mary in MN

news:2004071218394727590%suzette40@comcastcrossnet stitch...

Old July 14th 04, 08:45 PM
Linda Wright

This one is Dimensions #1526 - the picture is a shelf
of toys, very cute. It came out in 2000, you could email Dimensions at
and see if it is still available.

I just looked on the site and it is still available, but you would
need to contact Dimensions on how to get hold of a kit!