Year of the "S"?

Old November 20th 07, 05:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

Default Year of the "S"?

In my area, the airwaves are saturated
with ads from major jewelry stores
about these little diamond pendants shaped like a
lazy "S" -- these are about the only jewelry ads on TV this
year. The ads are all about the little "S"s sparking passion
in one's mate. My question is, would anyone want a mate
whose imagination so limited that their passion would be
sparked by a little lazy "S"?

Old November 21st 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

mbstevens wrote in
:

In my area, the airwaves are saturated
with ads from major jewelry stores
about these little diamond pendants shaped like a
lazy "S" -- these are about the only jewelry ads on TV this
year. The ads are all about the little "S"s sparking passion
in one's mate. My question is, would anyone want a mate
whose imagination so limited that their passion would be
sparked by a little lazy "S"?

Indeed! They should be looking for a G or a J or a Y or a Q with a
*true* descender.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Old November 21st 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

Fads come, fads go...

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:43:01 -0800, mbstevens
discovered a keyboard and, for our
edification and amusement, submitted

In my area, the airwaves are saturated
with ads from major jewelry stores
about these little diamond pendants shaped like a
lazy "S" -- these are about the only jewelry ads on TV this
year. The ads are all about the little "S"s sparking passion
in one's mate. My question is, would anyone want a mate
whose imagination so limited that their passion would be
sparked by a little lazy "S"?

Blessed be, for sure...
Old November 21st 07, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sterling

Funny that you should post this because I had this same conversation with my
husband the other day. Basically, I told him that a kiss does not begin at
Kay's, and if I found that ugly necklace under the xmas tree this year, I
would be very very disappointed. There is nothing remotely unique about
that pendant, especially since every jewelry store is selling them. I seem
to remember that last years theme was the circle of diamonds
pendant/necklace that everyone was trying to hock ad nausea.

I guess that is why I don't shop at those places. Cookie cutter jewelry is
not my idea of a fabulous gift. I wonder how many of those pendants I'll
see hanging about the necks of the "upwardly mobile" at this years Christmas
party? bawhahahahaha

Sterling

Old November 22nd 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Vicky

On Nov 19, 10:43 pm, mbstevens wrote:
In my area, the airwaves are saturated
with ads from major jewelry stores
about these little diamond pendants shaped like a
lazy "S" -- these are about the only jewelry ads on TV this
year. The ads are all about the little "S"s sparking passion
in one's mate. My question is, would anyone want a mate
whose imagination so limited that their passion would be
sparked by a little lazy "S"?

no every time i see it i think whey would he want to get her something
every one else is but I forgot we cattle we follow the lead of someone
else sadly thats why i dont want one thanks a Jewelry maker and a
woman who owns one of a kind things thanks
Old November 22nd 07, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
mbstevens

Sterling wrote:
Basically, I told him that a kiss does not begin at
Kay's, and if I found that ugly necklace under the xmas tree this year, I
would be very very disappointed.

Both Kay and Helzberg sell them here, each slurping down about the same
amount of air time with their ads. You have to wonder if one has a patent
suit against the other. If companies can patent human genes,
why not the sparkly-S?

Old November 22nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
C Ryman

The "S" wouldn't be so bad if it was set with high quality Emeralds, Rubies,
or some other nice colored stones. Diamonds are just so bland.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old November 22nd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:21:19 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "C Ryman"
wrote:

The "S" wouldn't be so bad if it was set with high quality Emeralds, Rubies,
or some other nice colored stones. Diamonds are just so bland.

Yeah, but remember, this is jewelry for the sheep, not those with brains enough
to make their own decisions. And it's jewelry to be sold "en masse", often in
catalogs, or by salepeople who know how to run a cash register or credit card
machine, dress nice, and smile at the customers. Selling jewelry with nice
colored stones might require sales people who actually know something about
jewelry and gems, and customers willing to step out of the mold. And by the
time you've got that far, you're way beyond selling a simple S pendant.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the group, or at least to those who observe this
little U.S. tradition. It's easy. Today, eat way too much food, especially
turkey and stuff. Watch some football, maybe a parade or two. Then tomorrow,
go to the mall well before the sun rises to partake in an annual bit of mass
hysteria over a few debatable bargain prices, often at stores you'd not normally
be going into so often like Walmart, etc. . If lucky enough to pick up one or
more of these usually bargain priced deals on not quite the right merchandise,
cart your loot home and only then bother to see what a mess you've just made of
your finances despite the bargains. Spend some of the rest of the weekend
convincing yourself you actually needed this stuff you bought, or make up your
mind who you can foist it off on as a Christmas gift. Also, take a few moments
to try and tell yourself that sometime next week, you'll go to the gym, or
otherwise ramp up your exercise regimin in order to work off the extra poundage
you put on with all of that excessively fattening food. All in all, a great
festive time to be had by all involved. :-)

Cheers

Peter
Old November 23rd 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sterling

OH MY GAWD! Another woman who like me, despises all the hoopla of diamonds -
they are so very blah!

Give me a Sapphire any day!! Yeah, I have two diamond rings, but I wear my
sapphire 99% more than those diamonds.

Sterling

"C Ryman" wrote in message
news : The "S" wouldn't be so bad if it was set with high quality Emeralds,
Rubies,
: or some other nice colored stones. Diamonds are just so bland.
:
: --
: Connie Ryman
: Cryman Studio
:
: "mbstevens" wrote in message
: ...

Old November 23rd 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 10:33:23 -0800, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:

Then tomorrow,
go to the mall well before the sun rises to partake in an annual bit of mass
hysteria over a few debatable bargain prices,

Oh crap. I'm meeting a friend at a mall tomorrow for lunch. I never
even thought of it being the start of the Winter Shopping Holiday.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com