Why I don't post very often.

Old April 9th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janet

Default Why I don't post very often.

Hello Everyone,

I enjoy reading this group. I don't get much time on the computer
because I share it with my family. I read Jessemey's nice note about
some members are not posting because they don't feel comfortable. I
just don't have the time to do it. I do feel you are all my friends
and I get a lot of information on where to look on the Internet for
things and ideas. I love your posted pictures. Some day I will get
mine up so you can see my work. I have been sewing and quilting all
my life and belong to a large quilt guild here in Florida. I am in
charge of historical quilts at the guilds next quilt show. I will be
doing bed turnings there and lecturing on quilt history and anseerwin
questions that visitors have. I have titled the historical quilt
display "If this old quilt could talk."

I do free motion quilting on my domestic machine in strips and then
bind them together in various ways. I would rather do that then pay
big money to a long armer. I just let my quilts talk to me as I make
them and I am always happy with them when I am done. I don't worry
about perfection and winning ribbons at shows. I quilt from the heart
and the pleasure it gives me to create by sewing. I have a large
stash of fabric and am grateful to have it because in my area we are
loosing Walmart fabric departments and Hancock. There is still LQS
and Joann's. I have made stars for Jessemey;s SSN swap and talked a
friend into doing it too. I will be sending the stars from both of us
and she has the paypal account for the return postage. It will be
sent in two packages according to instructions. I will be also
sending some 2 1/2 inch squares as well for Jessemey's charm quilt. I
plan to finish the SSN star quilt this fall for display at my guilds
spring quilt show next year. I have even named it "stars from around
the world." and have the quilting pattern picked out and backing. All
the visitors will be reading about the swap and the people who
Internet quilt. This will be a current look at friendship quilting
that has historical roots.

My favorite fabric I collect is 1930's reproduction prints and other
historical fabrics. I love bargains at the fabric stores and
sometimes it takes me years and years to use it in a quilt. I don't
feel guilty about my fabric and sewing machines because that is who I
am. I have patterns saved since I was a little kid and need to go
through my magazines again and clear out what I don't want. I don't
buy as many magazines as I used to. That is probably because I have
most of the patterns I want.

I guess I am a "lack of time lurker." I just wanted to let you know
that this is my favorite news group. Everyone seems to get along
really well. No one gets insulted at anything.

Janet in SW Florida

Old April 9th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

HI, Janet! When you don't get much computer time, you get lots more sewing
time! Sometimes I wish we were a one car- no computer family again.

Cindy

oups.com...

Old April 10th 07, 09:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Hello Janet. Its nice to hear from you! I feel like all these gals are my
friends too!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old April 10th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Vikki In WA State

What a nice letter. It would be fun to know how many people actually read
and never post. It kind of makes you feel good when you realize people you
don't even know consider you like a friend.

Vikki in WA State

Old April 11th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
EBB

On Apr 10, 3:33 pm, "Vikki In WA State" palnpartneratsawdotnet
wrote:
What a nice letter. It would be fun to know how many people actually read
and never post. It kind of makes you feel good when you realize people you
don't even know consider you like a friend.

Count me in, as one who reads daily but posts never. I've learned so
much from all of you, and feel like I know you all...thanks for being
here every day.

Now I'm going back to my quiet corner with the excellent view...and
hoping someone will decide to talk about how to add 1/4 inch seam
allowance to a curved piece.

Ellen in CT

Old April 11th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Somewhere in my arsenal of gadgets there is a little round metal disk that
has a hole in the middle where you put a pencil point. The hole measures
1/4" from the edge of the circle. You roll that around your curved template
to add the 1/4". You can also tape two pencils together and trace around a
template....I believe that measures very close to 1/4", though I would
measure it to make sure. You can also measure 1/4" every half inch or so
around the template and connect the dots you make when measuring out. Ok,
those are my suggestions....I bet you'll get 10 better ones!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
ups.com...

Old April 11th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well, I've just nipped along to my out box to delete my post.
Wouldn't you know I forgot to read other replies, and ... I had written
exactly what you've said here, Kathyl (except for the pencils - does
depend on the size of the pencil)!!
..
In message qyXSh.45564$_c5.40999@attbi_s22, KJ
writes
Somewhere in my arsenal of gadgets there is a little round metal disk that
has a hole in the middle where you put a pencil point. The hole measures
1/4" from the edge of the circle. You roll that around your curved template
to add the 1/4". You can also tape two pencils together and trace around a
template....I believe that measures very close to 1/4", though I would
measure it to make sure. You can also measure 1/4" every half inch or so
around the template and connect the dots you make when measuring out. Ok,
those are my suggestions....I bet you'll get 10 better ones!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 18th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René

This is such a large group. I don't post much either, because I can't keep
up. When I really want help though, this is the first place to go --
there's such a great combination of people. Somebody's bound to tell you
what you need to know.

When I do post a question, I try to highlight it, and then I can find the
thread (of posts) and copy the answers. I seldom get a chance to answer
each one individually at the time.

This is also one of the reasons I feel that those of us who are not that
familiar to the rest may get left off the directory. I love the directory
because I love to send anon. squishies! Really anon. Like I have someone
else send them for me so they can't be "traced" back to me. lol It's just
more fun and I don't ever want people feeling obligated to return the favor,
so to speak. Of course I understand the need for discretion. I just wish
there were other ways to "prove" that we're really "OK."

So, don't feel bad about not posting as often as you might like. It's hard
to get a word in edgeways, sometimes, anyway. (weg)

René

ups.com...
wrote:
What a nice letter. It would be fun to know how many people actually
read
and never post. It kind of makes you feel good when you realize people
you
don't even know consider you like a friend.

Count me in, as one who reads daily but posts never. I've learned so
much from all of you, and feel like I know you all...thanks for being
here every day.

Now I'm going back to my quiet corner with the excellent view...and
hoping someone will decide to talk about how to add 1/4 inch seam
allowance to a curved piece.

Ellen in CT

re-post: quick post, a MUST-Have book for Knitters YarnWright Yarn 0 April 3rd 07 09:48 PM
In the POST -2!!!!!! Aud Yarn 3 March 6th 06 06:05 AM
In the post 1!!!! Aud Yarn 6 March 5th 06 10:21 PM
This is my first post Razberi Beads 5 November 3rd 05 09:37 AM