?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"?

Old March 12th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default ?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"?

I am seeing items made on knitting frames, i.e., manual knitting machines,
labeled as "hand knit". Is this legal, or fair and proper?

And, are there stitches, designs, or patterns that can not be "machine knit"
and thus demonstrate to knowledgably people that the object was knit with
needle in hand?

Aaron

Old March 12th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote in message
. com...
I am seeing items made on knitting frames, i.e., manual knitting machines,
labeled as "hand knit". Is this legal, or fair and proper?

And, are there stitches, designs, or patterns that can not be "machine
knit"
and thus demonstrate to knowledgably people that the object was knit with
needle in hand?

Aaron

Hand manipulated kntting IS considered hand-knit, Aaron.....
JM2C,
Hugs,
Noreen

Old March 12th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:53:32 GMT, spewed forth :

I am seeing items made on knitting frames, i.e., manual knitting machines,
labeled as "hand knit". Is this legal, or fair and proper?

And, are there stitches, designs, or patterns that can not be "machine knit"
and thus demonstrate to knowledgably people that the object was knit with
needle in hand?

Aaron

Unless the knitting machine works under its own power, can effect the
color changes, increases, decreases, cable crosses, bobbles, purls,
etc all by its onesome it is indeed hand knit.

I bill my machine-knit socks as hand-cranked. The machine speeds
along the knitting process, but it doesn't know how to turn a heel or
toe.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old March 12th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

YO's,
PSSO's
well, actually you CAN do them on a knitting machine or knitting frame,
come to think of it!
But, you CANT do garter stitch, it's stockinette only, LOL!
Noreen

--
change n e t to c o m to email/reply to me.
wrote in message
news
What stitches or patterns can I do that a knitting frame/machine can not?

Aaron
" YarnWright" wrote in message

. com...

Old March 12th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Wooly" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:53:32 GMT, spewed forth :

I am seeing items made on knitting frames, i.e., manual knitting
machines,
labeled as "hand knit". Is this legal, or fair and proper?

And, are there stitches, designs, or patterns that can not be "machine
knit"
and thus demonstrate to knowledgably people that the object was knit with
needle in hand?

Aaron

Unless the knitting machine works under its own power, can effect the
color changes, increases, decreases, cable crosses, bobbles, purls,
etc all by its onesome it is indeed hand knit.

I bill my machine-knit socks as hand-cranked. The machine speeds
along the knitting process, but it doesn't know how to turn a heel or
toe.

nod nod nod, eggsacterly.
One still has to manipulate, especially lacey things too!
JM2C,
Noreen

Old March 12th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 15:47:20 -0600, " YarnWright"
spewed forth :

YO's,
PSSO's
well, actually you CAN do them on a knitting machine or knitting frame,
come to think of it!
But, you CANT do garter stitch, it's stockinette only, LOL!
Noreen

Oh, you can produce garter stitch on a knitting machine. Its a real
PITA though. Its the hand-manipulation that puts me off of doing
anything but stockinette yardage on the flatbed knitter or stripes on
the CSM.

+++++++++++++

Old March 12th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

At the industrial level, who knows. Anything is possible, but that
doesn't mean it will be cost-efficient.

The toes and heels on cheap white athletic socks are sewn to shape,
not knitted that way - its because the high-speed knitting machines
that know how to make a short row heel (computer driven) have "issues"
that make it cheaper and easier for the Chinese sock factories to
employ cheap labor to do the toe and heel shapings by hand.

High-dollar flatbed knitting machines for home use are capable of
producing intarsia and fair isle with the proper attachments, but
there's still an awful lot of handwork involved to ensure the color
changes happen correctly and the tension remains consistent throughout
the work. To the best of my knowledge there's no attachment anywhere
that'll let a machine do cable crosses and bobbles and heavy texture
without human intervention. Of course, I've been wrong before and I
could be wrong now.

The average consumer neither knows nor cares if there is a difference
between "hand finished" which describes most commercially-produced
sweaters and "hand knit" which describes the things we knit by hand.

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:53:36 GMT, spewed forth :

So, with the proper attachments and skills, any stitch or pattern can be
knit on a machine?

Aaron

"Wooly" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Machine Knitting Patterns!! mkdesigner Marketplace 0 December 19th 05 06:00 PM
FAQ for RCTQ frood Quilting 9 April 5th 05 07:50 PM
Machine Knitting Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 October 26th 04 03:09 PM
AD: New eBay Listings for MACHINE KNITTING Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:58 PM
FAQ RCTQ for newbies and oldtimers alike Diana Curtis Quilting 15 January 11th 04 07:20 PM