About ourselves

Old May 15th 05, 03:42 AM
annemarie

Default About ourselves

Its ages since we talked about ourselves, where we lived, what we do.
Bubbles and I were discussing it in the "revive a dead dinner bell" thread.
We thought it was a good ideas, so I will start.

I live in New Zealand in the Wellington Region.
http://www.wellingtonnz.com/ A site about wellington.
Unfortunately I do not have a website, my 20 yr old son has been meaning to
make one for me, he does computer programming, but its a bit like the
plumbers house with the leaking taps )
I teach pottery at a Waldorf (Steiner) school to 13 -14 year olds. Also to
adults a local art centre. I make one off pieces, usually thrown and very
decorated, sometimes altered. I enter these into exhibitions. I have no
intention or desire to attempt mass production.
I belong to quite a few pottery organisations, one of them being The New
Zealand Society of Potters. Here is their website
http://nzpotters.com/
Looking forward to hearing about lots of other people )
Annemarie

Old May 15th 05, 04:38 AM
Brad Sondahl

Good idea, the group always changes a bit.
I'm just starting my 30th year as a small-time production potter in
Idaho. I put more information than most people would want to know about
me on my website.
Brad Sondahl

--
For my pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

Old May 15th 05, 03:44 PM
A & V

Hi,
My name is Andrea, and I live in Perth, Western Australia. I am a child care
worker by the first profession, and ceramic artist by the second. I am lucky
to combine the two as I teach clay art to 3-5 year olds in local day care
centres, school and libraries (older kids as well, as the opportunity
arises). I am involved in community art projects as well as making my own
work for exhibitions. I am also a member of ceramic groups, the top of the
list is Clay Feet Exhibiting Group which is very active in finding new
avenues for promoting and exhibiting ceramics to the new audiences. The
group web site is in the making, but you can see the unfinished version at
http://home.iprimus.com.au/vandvin/ with images on "about us" page and
"artists" page. As I am involved in making the web page I would also
appreciate your comments.
I love experimental work & experimenting with glazes. Mostly I work with
slipcast porcelain.
I am not very active on this forum, but I do read it regularly and enjoy
being a part of it. Sometimes I wish it was a bit more active, but I guess
that we all get too busy...
cheers,
Andrea

"Brad Sondahl" wrote in message
Good idea, the group always changes a bit.
I'm just starting my 30th year as a small-time production potter in
Idaho. I put more information than most people would want to know about
me on my website.
Brad Sondahl

--
For my pottery how-to videos, original art, music, pottery, and
literature, visit my homepage
http://sondahl.com

To reply to me directly, don't forget to take out the "garbage" from my
address.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

Old May 15th 05, 05:29 PM
Stephanie Coleman

I am fairly new pottery, having gotten into it as a stress reducer from
corporate life in 1999. I do a little throwing (some call it turning in the
SE US) but mostly handbuilding. Last year I left the corporate world behind
and have promised myself to focus on pottery and gardening. Luckily, I
don't have to make .mortgage payments out of it, so I sell my work to cover
costs plus a little profit...I get my kicks from having folks like my work.
I have a web site www.fishstixonline.com that is under renovation, but you
can see some stuff.

I have exciting news - I entered my first juried artshow with one of my
large sculptures. (It's not on the website yet) Anyway the show was for
all visual media and I won second place overall. has a little cash prize. I
hope they buy the piece for their little garden though - but they probably
won't. I hope you don't me blowing my horn I have never won anything like
this before and I am really excited!

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579

Old May 15th 05, 06:47 PM

well i live in claremont, california usa - seems to be a lot of potters
around here! my website (posted from someone i never me except on
line) is

http://www.dataflo.net/~mpurintun/sg_pottery_mugs.htm

i'm a degreed engineer who's done design work from warheard fuzes to
rocket motor igniters, to tractor parts, handgrips, joysticks, lighting
fixtures, and now Jacuzzi Spa designs. ~ pottery dropped my blood
pressure significantly some 18 years ago... i took my 1st class some
25 years ago to "meet cool chicks", and eventually taught it in adult
ed maybe 8 years. now i do it totally for fun in a well equiped
studio.

i like vessels the most. greek styles, american indian, korean. and
try fountains as a way to actually DO SOMETHING with all these vessels
i keep making... i'll also build another patio cover one of these days
to hang more planters off of. the 1st one is pretty full.

i'm really hooked on using texture in the pieces & designed & built a
good many texture tools.

~ and maybe i spend more time then i should on line gathering pictures
to wall paper my workshop ceiling with...

see ya

steve

Old May 15th 05, 08:25 PM
dkat

I started doing pottery in San Bernardino, California (U.S. of A - [I'm a
flaming libertarian, Liberal]) in the 70s with Ken Reed, a student of Paul
Soldner, as my instructor. Ken along with Che his wife were and are to me
the symbols of the art and craft.

I moved to the east coast with my husband in 1979 and began earning my
living writing programs for research in cognitive psychology. Whenever I
could I would find a way to play with clay but with the demands of work,
children, home construction, etc. it became the poor stepchild that was
badly neglected. For years I have threatened to quit my job and pot full
time but for years my husband has pointed out that our grad students and our
children would be unable to finish their education without me (for
programming and finance respectively). This year I bought myself a kiln
and have turned half of the basement into my studio. For years I have
always done volunteer work in the various studios I have worked in because I
love the entire process of working with clay. This Spring however, I had my
first entire independent complete production cycle and it was a gas (well
actually electric... ).

I have mixed my programming and my love of the craft by writing a simplified
glazing program. If you want it you can contact me at
.. I would like to get feedback on how it isn't user friendly and what it
lacks if you decide to play with it. You would think that since computer
programming has been my livelihood for decades that I would have a web page
but that too has gone to the back burner. So much to do - so little time in
life....

Old May 15th 05, 08:59 PM
J and K

I have been reading this newsgroup for years. I am a high school drawing
and ceramics teacher in upstate New York and have been active in ceramics
for about seven years. Most of my work is one of kind functional wheel
thrown pieces but recently have been doing quite a bit of figural sculpture.
I don't have a web site yet, but plan on one someday. I am currently trying
to set up my own studio (in the basement) but the rest of the house
renovations seem to consume my weekends. I am constantly trying to
accumulate new ideas and techniques and this past year took part in my first
aborigama firing. I recently built a raku kiln and can't wait to fire it (
saving up for the burners). Well that's me and I just wanted to thank the
group for all the great info and inspiration.
John

Old May 15th 05, 10:14 PM
annemarie

Go blow your own horn, I did when I won an award last year too. Its really
exciting ) So wonderful to have your work recognised and all your time
vindicated ) Congratulations
In NZ we call making on the wheel throwing, then trimming when leather hard
turning )

Old May 15th 05, 10:17 PM
dkat

If I were not so lazy, I would go hunting but... what is aborigama (and
actually I would rather hear it from you in any case)?
news

Old May 15th 05, 11:36 PM
Steve Mills

Hi,

I'm Steve Mills, and I live in Bath, UK. Apart from a brief period
teaching I've been involved in Clay in this area since 1967. I did 18
years self-employed production of domestic and Restaurant wares, and
then moved sideways into being a Ceramic Supplier with my Wife Kate, in
1979. I have always been a maker and will be till I drop. I stopped
taking orders for pottery in '85 and now do my own thing. This year I
shall cease to be a Supplier and do more Pottery, computing and Music.
I Wood-fire with a little salt and I'm a self confessed throwing junkie!

Steve

In article , annemarie annemarie.butler@paradise
..net.nz writes
Its ages since we talked about ourselves, where we lived, what we do.
Bubbles and I were discussing it in the "revive a dead dinner bell" thread.
We thought it was a good ideas, so I will start.

--
Steve Mills
Bath
UK