Birds and Beads

Old July 1st 03, 04:45 AM
Nita, White Raven Designs

Default Birds and Beads

Hi Rachel,
My Niece and Nephew managed to raise a baby bird, Nephew found it at school
and shoved it into his school bag to stop other kids been cruel to it,
Promptly forgot it until he got home!
my Sis got a special mix from the vets to feed it on while it was small and
it's still flying around the house,
some how she managed to train it to only poop on a tissue left out specially
for that purpose!
The bird is about 18 months old now and I think it is some sort of an Aussie
native dove or pigeon
so it is possible
we raised a Magpie that my DH found too ( only until he was big enough to
fly away, we let him roam the garden and only put it in a cage at nights)
bird, not DH! )

--
Warmest Regards,
Nita,
Rachel T. wrote in message
I'll start off with on topic first...

I'm on a quest of sorts here. I want to try a brick stitch in a different

way.
(for me anyway) Is it possible to make a triangle with the center open so

you
could hang a small bead on the inside? Or will it most likely turn out
lopsided? Anybody tried this? Also, I'm in search of those skeleton

earrings
that kids wear for Halloween. The jointed kind. About 2-3" long. Anybody

know
of a possible source? I tried ebay and came up dry.

Now for the bird part... Since there are some bird people here, (lol) is

it
possible to hand raise a wild baby bird? Probably not, but I thought I'd

ask.
As I was leaving the other day, I found a little one on the sidewalk

flapping
around. (trying to get his footing) I figured it either fell out of the

tree
above, or was pushed out. Either way, I didn't want these kids to run over

it
with their bikes, so I grabbed a rubber glove and picked it up. I had
absolutely no idea what I was going to do with it.

It was so cute though. It had just gotten its little wing feathers, had

its
tail rudder (lol) but a naked butt. It just sat all nice and comfy in my

hand.
Since I didn't know what to do with it, I tried to put it at the base of

the
tree (hoping that the rubber glove kept my smell off it. ) but the giant

ants
went after it. So, I picked it up again. I finally sat it in the grass in

bundle of weeds and left.

I pretty much knew it would be dead by the time I got back, and it was.

The
ants got it. I feel kind of bad. Like I just left it there to die.

Deep
down I know I had no control over this, but I still feel bad just the

same.
Maybe if it was possible to hand raise these things, I could've done that.

I also managed to find 2 other dead babies on the front porch (nest right
above) and we had a cat die. All in the same day. Bleh.

Rachel T.
Damn right I'm good in bed. I can sleep for days.

Old July 1st 03, 07:06 AM
peka

OOOOOH, Honey!!! Poor you! What a thing to have happen.! I would have
tried a wildlife rehabilitation center, if that's something you could
find... here in the Willamette valley we have a LOT of wildlife, and several
very capable rehab centers...
To have cared for the "birdlet" properly, at the very least you would have
had to know what KIND of bird it was... so you'd know what it eats...

perhaps you could have dropped it off at the vet's?

Old July 1st 03, 07:55 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article xx9Ma.5223$fG.3958@sccrnsc01, "peka"
wrote:

OOOOOH, Honey!!! Poor you! What a thing to have happen.! I would have
tried a wildlife rehabilitation center, if that's something you could
find... here in the Willamette valley we have a LOT of wildlife, and several
very capable rehab centers...
To have cared for the "birdlet" properly, at the very least you would have
had to know what KIND of bird it was... so you'd know what it eats...

perhaps you could have dropped it off at the vet's?

If it helps, the Audobon Society is a great place to check in with about
sick or hurt birds, if you have one in your area.

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 1st 03, 04:07 PM
Rachel T.

it's still flying around the house,

How cool.

I wish I had known what to do. Oh well. Such is life, I suppose.

Old July 1st 03, 04:10 PM
Rachel T.

I would have
tried a wildlife rehabilitation center, if that's something you could
find...

I don't think there are any close here.

at the very least you would have
had to know what KIND of bird it was... so you'd know what it eats..

Hard to say. There are a lot of different kinds of birds that seem to like this
yard. I do think that there are "rival" birds. Every so often, you can here
them making noise. I once found 4 little ones that had obviously been pushed
out by another bird.

I really hate picking up dead animals.

perhaps you could have dropped it off at the vet's?

They were closed. shrug

Old July 1st 03, 04:11 PM
Rachel T.

If it helps, the Audobon Society is a great place to check in with about
sick or hurt birds, if you have one in your area.

I'll have to find out where one is. Just in case I run across another one.
(doubtful, though)

Old July 1st 03, 04:13 PM
Rachel T.

Rachel, my DD got a pair of jointed skeleton earrings (3 inches long) at
Claire's in the mall.

Ah ha. I'll have to check what's left of the local mall. If not there, there's
Foy's Halloween store. I completely forgot about them.

Old July 1st 03, 06:05 PM
Deirdre S.

OK. Now we need to hear the buffalo story...

And on the subject of bird rescue, I understand the impulse to give
new life a chance, but I also realize that some young animals of every
generation...don't make it to maturity. It isn't always a comfortable
or comforting thought, depending on how attached you are to a
particular individual creature who dies, but it seems to me that
ultimately life and death are all one process, not two separate ones
in competition with each other.

I just ate a chicken breast, and I expect that chicken wanted to live
just as much as your little bird did, but instead it got turned into
my brunch, and I get to have the food-energy I need for my own
survival for a while...

So, was the chicken destroyed? Or has it been transformed into what
animates -me-?

Deirdre

On 01 Jul 2003 15:12:47 GMT, pamsux (Rachel T.)
wrote:

That is SO cool! They could be pretty far away -- their call really, really
carries.

I've been thinking of going on a mission to find them.

If I found the house that had 2 buffalo, then I *can* find the peacocks! LOL.

Old July 1st 03, 07:16 PM
Rachel T.

OK. Now we need to hear the buffalo story...

Story? No real story to it. Around the corner from where my mom used to live,
there was a house that had 2 buffalo in the yard. No kidding. Big, furry necked
buffalo just like the ones that roam wild.

I would hear people talk about it and didn't believe it until I saw them for
myself.

I don't think they're there anymore. I would hope not. Just didn't seem right.
I have no idea why these people had them. But it's true. I'll have to remember
to go by and see if they are there. If they are, I'll take pictures! lol