serious - what is a needleroll?

Old March 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Ruthie

Default serious - what is a needleroll?

I see lots of pretty patterns for needle rolls - but I have no idea what
a needle roll is. Somebody please enlighten me!

TIA,

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan^earthlink^net

Old March 18th 04, 07:10 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/18/04 2:07 PM, in article
.net, "Ruthie"
wrote:

I see lots of pretty patterns for needle rolls - but I have no idea what
a needle roll is. Somebody please enlighten me!

TIA,

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan^earthlink^net

A pretty excuse to stitch something small and decorative. Not sure if they
are actually useful.

Cheryl

Old March 18th 04, 07:46 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 3/18/04 2:07 PM, in article
.net, "Ruthie"
wrote:

I see lots of pretty patterns for needle rolls - but I have no idea what
a needle roll is. Somebody please enlighten me!

A pretty excuse to stitch something small and decorative. Not sure if they
are actually useful.

They're not useful. They look like overgrown tootsie
rolls. They're verrrrry addictive ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 18th 04, 08:33 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

In my home a needleroll is an expensive cat toy. LOL

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 3/18/04 2:07 PM, in article
k.net, "Ruthie"

Old March 18th 04, 09:12 PM
vlerk

I see lots of pretty patterns for needle rolls - but I have no idea what
a needle roll is. Somebody please enlighten me!

A pretty excuse to stitch something small and decorative. Not sure if they
are actually useful.

LOL
I really assumed it was a roll shaped pin cushion! Some strange item with
serious historical roots...
Grea

Old March 18th 04, 10:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I've never stitched any of the ones I have seen (Emie Bishop?) that so
many enjoy doing and call "addictive". They really are pretty.

However, if they're lined in a felt of some sort, then they'd be ideal
for storing needles. :-)
Dianne

Old March 19th 04, 12:31 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Anne Tuchscherer had some very
interesting things to say about serious - what is a needleroll?:

In my home a needleroll is an expensive cat toy. LOL

[chuckle] My bird would probably see one as a neat bombing target.
Old March 19th 04, 01:27 AM
explorer

"Ruthie" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I see lots of pretty patterns for needle rolls - but I have no idea what
a needle roll is. Somebody please enlighten me!

TIA,

Ruthie in Colorado
alowan^earthlink^net

They are basically the needlework equivalent of a knick knack.

Old March 19th 04, 03:56 AM
Olwynmary

Back in the days when needles were very expensive, and no-one had more than two
or three, needlerolls were indeed a place for storing and transporting one's
precious needles, a predecessor of needlebooks. Nowadays, they appear to have
been tarted up out of all recognition.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans

Old March 19th 04, 02:01 PM
Threaded

Gee - After reading all the posts, (I liked the one about being "...tarted
up out of all recognition."); here I just thought it was an over grown
pincushion! LOL!!!

By the way, did you know someone created a stand for them? Kind of like a
plate stand, only a mini-pillow stand! Who'd've thought?

Eva in Chilly & Rainy, Kent, WA, US

hlink.net...