Texture ideas please

Old October 24th 04, 04:52 AM
Russell Andavall

There have been may good suggestions here... Ok. Carton Ball was a
ceramic artist that taught at University of Puget Sound in Tacoma
Washington during the 1960's, 70's and 80's. He has several books out on
making pottery without a wheel and decorating pottery with texture...
any of his books will give you enough ideas to last the rest of your
life time... from making rollers and stamps to string, found objects,
carving straffito. Me, I like to use leather stamp tools. I have letters
for words, little stamps already made with great detail. There are some
cookie stamps that are really good too. I like to use an onion or
vegetable holder that can score areas for putting handles on as a
decorative tool as well. Abstract patterns are really cool with this and
a stick tool to press into the surface of the pot. Paddles can reshape
the pot when leather hard. Loop tools worked on to the surface can carve
areas into pattern and design. I use loop tools to carve the surface of
the pot with a drawing... I have several theme mugs that I like to carve
the surface of a piece into... Music symbols, Mystical symbols, the logo
of my favorite sports teams to local colleges, birds, animals... much
more... my favorite is the dragon....
Russ Andavall
www.firegodarts.com

Meridith Davis wrote:

Hi. I am new to this news group. I am taking a ceramics 2 class this
semester at college. I have been enjoying lately using material pieces to
texture my clay. What I am needing help on for idea is on using other items.
I have heard something about using items like grass and such to texture
pieces, but didn't know if theres some do's and don'ts along with it. My
instructor only recomends using cloth's, which im bored with now, though an
idea that I came across tonight about using lace could be an interesting
texture.

Ideas of any type are welcome. Oh, I had seen on some site online, the use
of rice for texture. But it mentioned that any pieces that had been left in
would 'pop' out, not just burn up. I am not sure if that would be safe for
other pottery being fired at the same time as mine, considering that I am in
a class, so could be as many as 50 other pieces being fired at the same time
as mine, that belong to other students.

Thanks

Meridith

Old October 24th 04, 05:38 AM
Slgraber

one time i squeezed clay thru a garlic press and pressed the long clay-hairs
onto the side of a cylinder. as i stretched out the cylinder many of the hairs
stood up. some flew off. this made a really crazy looking pot! hard to pick
up, but fastenating.

steve

Subject: Texture ideas please
From: "Meridith Davis"
Date: 10/23/2004 5:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time
yeah they would. Will have to try lotion on one and see if that works.

steve graber
Old October 25th 04, 08:48 PM
Lcdumas

Hamster Litter works really well, and completely burns out in the firing. I
have two kitchen tools that are fantastic. One is a roller with prongs coming
off all the way round, and the other is evenly spaces rollers that look like
plastic pizza cutters.
Another fun textural thing is to dip cheesecloth in heavy slip and drap it on
the pots. If you have a paper shredder, you can randomly press shreds into the
surface of the pot.

Linda D in TX
Old November 2nd 04, 05:07 AM

I saw Byron Temple use a wavey wire cheese cutter. make the walls of
the pot one inch thick. then cut veritcal facets in to the pot with the
cheese cutter. a wavy wire cheese cutter makes wavy lines.

I like to make a thick slip, and use a felet knife. I apply the slip
on to the pot as if I were icing on a cake. don't apply the slip too
thick. I like to use a white porciline slip on dark clay. when the
slip hardens place the pot on the wheel and trim the rim and base of
the pot. or use a triming tool the carve designs throught the hardened
slip

Old November 2nd 04, 06:10 AM

using a long soft bristle Chinese bamboo paint brush, and slip. paint
raised designs on to the pot. you can also splash, flick, or slop silp
on to the pot. I have found that the longer and softer bristles work
best. experiment with different brush techniques, and different
thickness of slip, to develop your own patterns.

Old November 24th 04, 11:25 PM
Paul Harrop

Hi, Iv'e been experimenting for a number of years, and I've found most
things burn up in the kiln, I've used things like polenta which leaves a
pitted effect. I've also used gum leaves (I come from Australia) in plaster
which allows me to have the leaves as positives (raised up) instead of
negative (leaves an impression) in the clay I place on the plaster. The skys
the limit, you could use anything you can lay your hands on, my cats don't
like it when I get a glint in my eye!!

best of luck
Paul

From: "Meridith Davis"
Date: 10/23/2004 5:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time
yeah they would. Will have to try lotion on one and see if that works.

steve graber

Looking for patterns or ideas Warmhands General Crafting 1 February 17th 04 06:44 AM
Fun with Texture Lindsay MacArthur Pottery 42 February 12th 04 06:26 PM
Carving Texture & Fur Jim Carving 4 November 26th 03 04:59 PM
Texture Dewitt Pottery 7 September 3rd 03 10:30 AM