Alternatives to RCTQ

Old May 16th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

Default Alternatives to RCTQ

I would hate to see this group go by the wayside, as it's been around
for so long and I've developed a feeling of knowing so many of you even
though we've never met, but it does seem as though some people are
having a difficult time staying connected with us due to their ISPs
discontinuing newsgroups, etc. In addition, I know a lot of people don't
like reading the group via Google, and I do understand the security
concerns on Facebook.

Did you know, though, that all of our posts show up on www.sewgirls.com?
I spent just a bit of time over there this afternoon, and while I think
it would take a little getting used to, the format isn't too bad. You do
have to register in order to post, but I don't think there's a charge or
anything like that.

Another possibility would be to set up a Yahoo! group - the downside
there is that someone would have to manage it. That's probably not the
best option, as I think the group owner would have to screen people for
"membership" so we didn't get inundated with lots of junk posters.

Any other thoughts?
--
Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
Old May 17th 11, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Louise

In the last 24 hours I have received 40 e-mails for this group through
Facebook. No wonder there are no postings here for days at a time.
Sad day.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old May 17th 11, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

Yeah, it's been pretty active over there, hasn't it? I do check FB a
couple of times a day (I originally signed up because of family and to
see pics my niece posts), but this group is still my "go to" group.

Old May 17th 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

I'm with you Louise.

I too have been inundated with emails from the facebook branch of
RCTQ. So much so that I have disabled the emails. While I enjoy the
facebook side and believe it has its advantages, and yes, I do check
it often, as I do other facebook sites and groups, this is still my
"everyday" page where I go every day and where I always get answers to
any question or doubts I have, encouragement when needed, support on
demand. I really feel like I'm friends with several members here and
on facebook I don't recognize a lot of the names. I read the messages
through google. May not be the best, but it works for me. I was a
little bit fed up with changes and newsgroups snafu's from the ISP.
Google at least is always there!. MAybe this hype of activity on
facebook will pass in time as things settle and people come back to
the good old rather than stay with the new fangled stuff. I for one
plan to stick around here, hopefully for a long long time to come. And
even though I may not post all that often, I do read every day,
several times a day.

Claudia
Old May 17th 11, 09:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Looks like a really nice site, and it seems to show also the posts
that aren't appearing on my server here! But one would still have to
post here for it to show up there, right? Or does it work both ways?

I definitely do not want all "our" messages showing up as email. Best
to read via a separate forum.
Roberta in D

Old May 17th 11, 10:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

I have only just found RCTQ on Facebook. I too only joined FB initially
to see DD's postings and as my normal Messenger no longer works I can
chat to her on FB too - just like Messenger.

I definitely prefer the 'good old' with the messages grouped into
threads (I use Thunderbird without any difficulty). The problem with FB
is that it can be a bit disjointed and also people tend to use their
real names rather than made up ones. However there seem to be lots of
people whose names I recognised who no longer seem to post here, so its
nice to see them again, you just have to have a good memory.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old May 17th 11, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MunnDE

Ditto, Kate. I unsub'd from the FB RCTQ. Just way
overload and just wasn't for me. I'm sticking with this
ng.

Donna
in WA

Old May 17th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Me too.

I will not FB, period.
Seriously way too many issues on it.

NightMist

On Tue, 17 May 2011 06:53:00 -0700, MunnDE wrote:

Ditto, Kate. I unsub'd from the FB RCTQ. Just way overload and just
wasn't for me. I'm sticking with this ng.

Donna
in WA

Hey Louise

In the last 24 hours I have received 40 e-mails for this group through
Facebook. No wonder there are no postings here for days at a time.
Sad day.

Kate T. South Mississippi

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 17th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

When my ISP discontinued newsgroups, I switched to google - it's not
bad and it does keep msgs together by topic. I'll check out www.sewgirls..com
and see how it compares. I check in daily at RCTQ, but haven't posted
much lately. I sure don't want this group to lose touch with each
other!!!!
ME-Judy

Old May 17th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

I just 'turned off' email messages for the FB group - I agree, too
many.

This is still going to be my main way of accessing the group, though -
FB will be nice for those times I'm away from my newsreader (and paid
newsgroup subscription).

-Irene

On Mon, 16 May 2011 17:10:44 -0700 (PDT), "Kate T."
wrote:

Hey Louise

In the last 24 hours I have received 40 e-mails for this group through
Facebook. No wonder there are no postings here for days at a time.
Sad day.

Kate T. South Mississippi

legal narcotic alternatives [email protected] Needlework 0 January 7th 08 03:26 PM
Alternatives to Rio Grande? Bright Shiny Objects Fascinate Me Jewelry 1 September 1st 06 10:03 AM
JiffyGrip Alternatives?? pas Sewing 10 September 9th 04 05:20 PM
Alternatives to Highwayman's hitch Mark Knots 4 March 9th 04 03:26 AM
Tempered glass alternatives? Mark Glass 25 February 9th 04 10:52 PM