Starting in the Middle

Old May 12th 11, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Starting in the Middle

There's a red, white and blue quilt on the Bernina right now to go to the
military hospital in Germany. I'm FM quilting - just wandering, no
particular pattern except I'm staying off of the white flying geese so
they'll puff up when laundering time comes. I avoid 'big' quilts because
the exercise annoys my back... front, arms, legs, hands and assorted other
parts. So. I decided I'd quilt the very center block first and the rest
would be easy. ( er ?)
Something interesting I've noticed. The quilt is scrappy and 'nothing
sews like a Bernina'. Yes. You've heard that . . . but the strangest
thing. The stitching everywhere is just so perfect and pretty except when I
have to skate around on the batik strips. The stitching there is 'okay' but
certainly not as nice as on the other fabrics. Any thoughts? Polly

Old May 12th 11, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

The tighter weave causing the problem maybe? I can't remember if you
prewash. Maybe some
sizing in it that is creating a fuss. Are you using a jeans or microtex
needle? Those might help.
My old Bernina 930 is my go to machine whenever I am having problems of most
any kind. If
that machine were a stretch model it would be perfect.

Taria,
i think i have a gastro dr. for your gators after the colonoscopy trip today
with dh.

Old May 12th 11, 03:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Good thought, Taria. It won't kill me to change needles. I'm using the
plain old green band but I'll change and see if that does better when
crossing the batik. As to the gators - oh my, yes! Send the food for the
gators on down. Obama was campaigning today and talking about a moat in
Texas with gators. Little does he know about gators. We dearly love our
Texas friends and would love to help but gators don't much care for their
notion of humidity. Polly

Old May 12th 11, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey there Sunshine

Spent the day at the beach watching the water skiing with kites. Oh,
we are talking about quilting, A-humm-m--mm. Well have you tried
using scilicone spray. You know what I mean, sillycone spray.
(giggle) I pour some on a bit of batting and tuck it under the thread
as it comes off the spool so the thread will get coated with it. It
helps with the thread making a good stitch. I do this when practicing
my feathers. You know the ones that look like a wort on a toothpick.
Sometimes I spray it on the batting, as I make the sandwich. Needle
goes through everything quite easily.

Kate T. In hot, dry South Mississippi. weatherman says we are in a
severe drought.
Old May 12th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Just finished FM quilting a scrappy strippy: pieced strips using all
sorts of sample squares, alternating with strips of a dark blue with
white dots. Also an all-over quilting design. That blue fabric was a
bit heavier and denser than normal (whatever normal is), and every
time the needle crossed a seam to a blue strip, it wanted to skip a
stitch. I switched to a jeans needle and it helped a lot.
Roberta in D

Old May 12th 11, 12:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise In Iowa

I just read an article about this yesterday - the suggestion was to use
a thinner, sharper needle (microtex?) and to use silicone/Sewer's Aid on
the thread. Now it also said to raise the feed dogs - I'm not sure why!
Maybe it slows down the movement a bit to allow more time for the needle
to enter the fabric.

Louise in Iowa
http://community.webshots.com/user/LouiseinIowa
nieland1390@mchsidotcom

Old May 12th 11, 12:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

When I first started free-motion, I occasionally(!) forgot to lower the
feed dogs, but I set the stitch length to zero and set off. Eventually
I discovered that, when I did forget, I had marginally more control over
the piece: there wasn't so much slippage.
When a special bobbin case was created for free motion quilting (all
quilting?) for the Janome, I bought one, and that really makes the job
easier. Maybe other makers have introduced such a thing?
I, too, use jeans needles - I find them even better than microtex (which
I have also tried). I've never tried the silicone on the thread,
though. So, I have yet one more help to try when I need it.
..
In message , Louise in Iowa
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old May 12th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That second bobbin case is just so you don't have to readjust the oricinal
back and forth. Just adjusting the bobbin tension would do the same thing.
I think there has been a 'black bobbin case' for Bernina's for a long time.
Bernina cases also have a little extra hole for the thread that changes
the
tension but that is more for thread work and not quilting. I have the extra
bobbin cse for the 6600 here but I just hate having to take the plate and
all off unless I really need to. I need to try the silicone sometime too.
Taria

Old May 12th 11, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Pat S" wrote in message
When I first started free-motion, I occasionally(!) forgot to lower the
feed dogs, but I set the stitch length to zero and set off. Eventually I
discovered that, when I did forget, I had marginally more control over the
piece: there wasn't so much slippage.
When a special bobbin case was created for free motion quilting (all
quilting?) for the Janome, I bought one, and that really makes the job
easier. Maybe other makers have introduced such a thing?
I, too, use jeans needles - I find them even better than microtex (which I
have also tried). I've never tried the silicone on the thread, though.
So, I have yet one more help to try when I need it.

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green

I also leave my feed dogs up when machine quilting. Stitch length is set to
zero - usually! Once in a while I forget and the stitch length is whatever
it was set to before (the Horizon remembers), 2.0 or so. I can't say I have
ever noticed a difference in the free-motion stitching either way. I only
notice when I happen to glance at the screen and see that it's not set to
zero. I have the blue bobbin case and I do use it for free-motion. The
quality of my free motion is usually good on the Horizon, even when I use
the regular bobbin case. I haven't noticed any "laddering." I do
sometimes have to fiddle with the tension setting a bit, but that seems to
depend on the kind of thread, the phase of the moon, and maybe the position
of the stars!

Iris