Great discovery!!

Old October 11th 05, 04:27 PM
marbles_2

Default Great discovery!!

I've been at a loss for a few days about my next project (with a few
gifts to make that the recipients will not give many clues as to colors
or other preferences) and have been looking at hundreds of magazines
and books. I'm sure you've all been in my shoes!!! Anyway, I settled on
a pattern from a magazine for a paper pieced star block and found some
ideal fabric in my stash for one of the recipients (my youngest DS).

I've only paper pieced once at a class last spring, and seemed to have
forgotten many little details but I'm plowing along. I did the first
few parts of the blocks by tracing on regular copy paper (ugh!) and
then remembered that I have a trillion sheets of sandwich wrap paper at
my restaurant!!! They are 14-inch squares and just like tracing paper
so I drove to the shop (it was my day off) and got some. What a
difference!!!! I even made a handy little stack of paper patterns by
sewing through them so I didn't have to trace umpteem million by hand
(no copier in this house). They seem to hold up well (even while
ironing) and tear off easier than the copy paper I was using. Once I
practice, practice, practice (getting the fabric pieces to fit is
harder than it should be .... even if I cut each piece much bigger than
the 1/4 inch extra recommended) I can see that having a giant supply of
big piecing paper will be really fun!! I don't know what they cost per
each, but I'll look it up. Maybe this is another place for people to
get paper since the sheets are flat and easy to store in a pizza box.

Annie

Old October 11th 05, 06:57 PM
Roberta Zollner

What a good idea, I can just feel how that paper would work well.
Here's how to get your fabric pieces to fit: fold the paper along the
stitching line, creasing it backwards paper-to-paper. On the other side is
your previous patch. Place the next patch RST and hold everything up to a
strong light. You should be able to see the shadow of the fabric against the
outline on the paper. Shift the fabric until it overlaps all around the
traced outline. Then flip the paper back in position and stitch. (Or don't
flip it back -it's also possible to "paper piece" without sewing through the
paper.) Hope this makes sense.
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old October 12th 05, 02:27 AM
marbles_2

Just figured out that each sheet costs about one and a half cents. What
a deal!! Maybe I should just start selling paper......

Annie

Old October 12th 05, 05:46 PM
Liz A.

We have a restaurant supply store around here that is open to the
public. They sell those papers in several different sizes and colors.
I've been using them for quilting designs for a couple years now. I
usually spray them with KK200 to attach to the quilt when I'm
stitching. I never thought to use them for paper foundation piecing. I
usually print out my paper foundation patterns from EQ5 on vellum paper
with my laser printer.

LizA.
Kent, WA

Comm- great unmounteds LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 February 26th 04 12:41 AM
great deals LasImpPan Rubberstamps 0 January 29th 04 05:05 PM
GREAT B-day gift!! Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 12 January 8th 04 03:55 AM
AD: Angel of Fire and other great new kits! Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 0 August 13th 03 04:53 AM