What are you working on?

Old September 21st 05, 02:26 AM

:
: Betty (buried in fabric in WI)
:

Old September 21st 05, 02:28 AM
frood

Annie, I've been trying to figure out a 50s design wall hanging for over the
fireplace in my Fab 50s Front Room. I found a design similar to those
starburst clocks that I liked, but then I lost it again. Let me know what
ideas you have!

--
Wendy (who actually was tired of being a pirate by the end of the day, but
still wore the pirate jammies)
"marbles_2" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that we're done with being pirates I don't have near the
energy I had yesterday, when I machine quilted about 10 blocks on my
daughter's full size V-Dub quilt. I only have two left and the border,
and the binding and she'll have a nice cuddly and colorful quilt to
replace a comforter that was stolen (with her car and electronics) from
her house. It's so hard for me to finish things because I always want
to start some other new thing. This is good discipline for my brain, I
guess.
Next I want to make something for my other nephew who got married a
year ago or so and I neglected the gift. (Just finished a wall hanging
for his brother, who got married a few weeks back.) They like 1950s
graphics and I'm excited to go looking for ideas.

I decided to try a challenge quilt presented by a local quilt guild I'm
joining, and have ideas rattling around in my head. It involves a log
cabin block but no where did it say in the rules the whole thing had to
be log cabin blocks so I'm having a concept of making an
applique/pieced cabin with the log cabin block as a window and put it
all over a pink sunset kind of thing with big trees. Like I
said....concept rattling.

My tea party tablecloth quilt that I entered in a mystery fabric
contest and placed third (they told me I got second place and then
"reviewed the points" and another gal was suddenly in second
place....thinking she was grumbling but it's okay) is ready to finish
but need the right fabric for the border.

And a block that I've had in my sewing junk for nearly 30 years needs
to be made into a wall hanging for the local community services office.
I thought the person who made it (for a community quilt and we didn't
use it and I remember getting yelled at so kept it for some reason....)
had passed away years ago but then her obituary was in the paper last
week!!!! So I guess I have a mandate to really do something to remember
her and get it done!! (That was a creepy moment when I found the obit
in the paper.)

And then there is Christmas...............

Annie

Old September 21st 05, 02:28 AM
maryd

You had to say that, didn't you??!! g

--
Mary

"marbles_2" wrote in message
oups.com...
gentle snip
: And then there is Christmas...............
:
: Annie
:

Old September 21st 05, 02:34 AM
frood

One of my Halloween throw quilts is a trip around the world, in 4" squares.
The other is a rail fence varaiation - instead of 3 rails, it's a rectangle
of novelty fabric and a rail of orange, to make a square block, 6". I set it
in Streak O Lightning.

They are both near the bottom of this page:
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/BedandLapQuilts.htm

Have fun thinking one up!

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"maryd" wrote in message
This afternoon I made 5 hug/swap blocks and got them ready to mail. I
hope
that I can make up the Sept RCTQ BOM block this evening. I also packed up
fabric and tools to take to my daughter's next month. Think I need to
make
a special bag/tote for my cutting mat and rulers. BTW.... a tip for
transporting rotary cutter. Mine fits perfectly in a soft sided eyeglass
case. Oh, anyone have a free pattern or idea for a Halloween throw quilt?
I'm taking both Halloween and Thanksgiving fabrics with me.

--
Mary

: "frood" wrote in message
: om...
: I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in,
"finished
: that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
: project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of
sanity.
: (no laughing from the peanut gallery, please)
:
: I haven't yet decided what's next, tho. I joined my guild's
President's
: Challenge - she had us write down (in pen and everything) a quilt that
we
: had always wanted to make, that we would actually work towards
completing
: in this next guild year (Sep. to June). I wrote down that I am going
: make a quilt for *my* bed, using a Cobblestones block and batik
fabrics.
:
: Or, I could work on one of the Christmas fabrics quilts I have planned
: (and partially cut) - log cabins, and cobblestones.
:
: Or, there was a super simple, graphically striking quilt hanging in a
: quilt shop that I thought would look stunning in African fabrics.
:
: Or, the quilt featured on my calendar last month was really cool. I
may
: try to make a variation of that one, in either a seafaring theme, or a
: Christmas one. I bet that piques your interest - what quilt could
possibly
: be done in either pirates or Christmas, you ask? Bwahahaaha! You will
have
: to wait and see!
:
: So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: un-STUFF email address to reply
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Old September 21st 05, 02:52 AM
Teacher Gal

"frood" again spouted forth with:
: It's not rocket surgery - no one dies if you mess up. A wonky, pointless,
: ugly quilt still keeps somebody warm. If all else fails, give it to the
dog.
: Need more help? G
:
But the picture is so pretty, and I'd hate to go through all the trouble of
working on it for months only to royally screw it up. I'd bawl, I know I
would. Expensive fabrics and all........ruined.

Oh, the humanity!

Anastasia

Old September 21st 05, 03:25 AM
maryd

I like both but I really like the streak of lightening.

--
Mary

"frood" wrote in message
om...
: One of my Halloween throw quilts is a trip around the world, in 4"
squares.
: The other is a rail fence varaiation - instead of 3 rails, it's a
rectangle
: of novelty fabric and a rail of orange, to make a square block, 6". I set
it
: in Streak O Lightning.
:
: They are both near the bottom of this page:
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/BedandLapQuilts.htm
:
: Have fun thinking one up!
:
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: De-STUFF email address to reply
: ...
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
: : "frood" wrote in message
: : om...
: : I am currently between projects. Ok, not exactly "between" as in,
: "finished
: : that one, what's next" but, at a point where I can safely start a new
: : project and still get the others done and keep some semblance of
: sanity.
: : (no laughing from the peanut gallery, please)
: :
[...]
: : --

Old September 21st 05, 03:45 AM
Teacher Gal

Since it was asked....

I've got a webshots page started. Only have the image I want to use as the
applique quilt and two pics of my mother's tulip quilt on there, but hey,
it's a start!

Anastasia

Old September 21st 05, 03:46 AM
Teacher Gal

Psh. stupid me. Forgot the link.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tasialue

I'm such a ditz.

Old September 21st 05, 04:19 AM
Patti S

I'm working on a lap quilt inspired from the book "Quilts with a View",
and I'm also beginning to work on some Christmas stuff for my house. I
just bought my first house a little over a year ago, and last year I
went home for the holidays. This year, I'm staying in MY home, and I'm
going to dig out Christmas stuff I haven't seen in over a decade. So I
want to make a stocking for my mutt and myself, and something pretty for
on my mantle, and a couple of "a-door-ables" to hang on my doors, and
who knows what else......

What a fun question to ask! So interesting to see what everyone is
doing......

Hugz
Patti in Seattle