More Newbie questions from a guy!

Old August 8th 05, 10:56 PM
M. FERRANTE

Default More Newbie questions from a guy!

A couple of days ago I posted a question as to whether or not a $40
Sewing Genie was any good. All said it was junk and suggested I go to
a sewing shop and look for a used machine. I am confused as I don't
know what to look for.

I am a male who needs a small machine to hem seams and easy stuff. I
don't know anything at this point, not even the proper way to drop in
a bobber and my space is very limited. That is why I hoped this Sewing
Genie would be good.

Would someone please explain what I should look for, what questions to
ask and any model to stay away from? I saw where Singer has a tiny
machine and I thought with the name, Singer, it might be good. A lady
friend said to make sure I get something that does reverse stitch. I
am lost.

I do appreciate any help you give and will give in the future.

Thanks,
Mark
Click here eveyday to feed a rescued animal:

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Old August 9th 05, 03:35 AM
CypSew

In my opinion, Mark, go to your local library and check out a couple sewing
books. The older edition of the Reader's Digest Complete book of Sewing(not
really sure if this is the complete correct title) is full of information on
sewing and the parts of the machine and there are many others as well. I
just like this one in particular.

After reading up on the art of sewing, comb the web sites, every brand of
sewing machine I believe has a web site, such as www.bernina.com,
www.janome.com, look at the different machines. There is a FAC somewhere
that is a list of good used machines, reasonably priced, I just don't know
the URL. After you familiarize yourself with some information, go to
dealers, look at the older machines, try them out with your own fabric, just
scraps of the type you plan to sew. And if any dealer doesn't want you to
try them, leave immediately and look for another one. Some dealers are just
out to sell new machines and have no empathy for "lookers/possible buyers of
used machines." Frankly, I don't see how they expect to sell the used
ones.

Some people give good machines to thrift shops because they want to get rid
of them and don't want to bother trying to sell them, like a daughter of
mine. She was moving and gave an excellent Kenmore(Sears) to Goodwill. It
was later sold for $10. With a little information gleaned from reading a
couple books, you might find one you can really use for less than $100,
easily. Oh by the way, everyone says the Genie is a piece of junk, I don't
know. I have never seen one nor do I know anyone who has had one. If you
have a bit of knowledge on sewing, and you already have the Genie, why not
give it a try? After all, you said it was given to you, so it might turn out
to be a learning tool to try your skill, if you are aware it may be junk.
Who knows?
Emily, an older sewist, who has enjoyed the art for over 65 years.