Idiots guide to polishing?

Old December 29th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

Default Idiots guide to polishing?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:52:02 -0800, lavachickie
wrote:

I just wanted to do a little "follow-up" here -- another thanks to all
who chimed in. I've been playing and polishing and learning A LOT.
Doing it all by hand has prepared me to know how/when to use polishing
tools with my Dremel, something I am going to do with my next batch of
babies. I've been working with Art Clay Silver slow dry/low fire and
it's amazingly versatile, I can see why so many are hooked. I can also
see the remaining attraction of the more traditional working methods.
Just doesn't work for my budget/time/space resources. Not to mention
skillset!

I'm just a twiddler, looking for ways to express my own creativity and
gift others, so my goals aren't world domination but just creating
items for myself and gifts for others. My highest aspiration, perhaps,
is a worthwhile reason to hang out at the farmer's market in my own
booth someday, but that's more for creativity, fun and community than
career. =-)

If anyone is interested, I was surprised to find that Fire Mountain
Gems has the best price on Art Clay Silver. A friend who gets her
items from Rio Grand was sure they were cheaper, but we did a side by
side comparison and for even one-off purchases, FMG had the best
price.

On the other hand, Rio is a reputable company and FMG isn't. FMG has
become a seller of third-world tchotchkes to people who sell them at
fairs and booths. They also ask artists to send sample beads and then
send the beads to China and sell copies without compensating the
artist. They are frequently misleading about what their products are
made of and how.

Everybody makes their own choices.
--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com
Old December 30th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

wrote:

[...]

Somebody else emailed me disagreeing. It's unusual for lurkers to
disagree in email.
Old December 31st 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Sterling

Sorry about that... I hit the wrong reply button.

But, I still disagree with you about FMG. I've had nothing but honest
dealings with them. To each his own and we shall agree to disagree.

Sterling

:
: wrote:
:
[...]
: --

Old December 31st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:54:35 -0800, "Sterling"
discovered a keyboard and, for our edification and amusement,
submitted

Sorry about that... I hit the wrong reply button.

But, I still disagree with you about FMG. I've had nothing but honest
dealings with them. To each his own and we shall agree to disagree.

Sterling

I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Fire Mountain -
but they have been turning into a beading supply house almost
exclusively. Rio Grande has maintained its stature in the
jewelry-making field, however.
Blessed be, for sure...
Old January 7th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

Would someone please educate me, and perhaps someother lurkers on this
group, about Art Clay Silver?

What is it?
When fired, is the metal porous, or not 100% solid metal,, or does it shrink
into pure metal ?
What is the density of the stuff, before and after firing?
Is it like clay, i.e.,can it be moulded in the fingers?
What does it look like before firing?
What does it cost, i.e.,$ or £ per cubic centimetre?

It appears to be an interesting substance and I should like to know more
about it, please,, if any of you experts can help.

G.H.Ireland

--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

Old January 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
lavachickie

Would someone please educate me, and perhaps someother lurkers on this
group, about Art Clay Silver?

I wouldn't call myself an expert, but for the past few weeks I have
totally thrown myself into it, reading multiple books, scouring the
web, and just diving in! I'm most familiar with warm glass, so this is
a medium that is much more immediate for me, although anyone used to
working with clay of any other sort will feel very rushed due to the
fast drying time.

What is it?

It is particles of metal suspended in a binder. When a package is
freshly opened, the clay is smooth and buttery, but it quickly dries.
You can do various things to extend it's working time, and to
reconstitute it, but in general you must plan, prep and know what you
are going to do before you do it for best results.

When fired, is the metal porous, or not 100% solid metal,, or does it shri=

nk
into pure metal ?

It is 99.9% pure silver once fired. There are also gold versions, but
due to $$$ I haven't played with it.

Is it like clay, i.e.,can it be moulded in the fingers?

Yes! Various tools can be used to play with it. The possibilities are
endless.

What does it look like before firing?

Sort of like greenware, if you've worked with ceramics before. The
more you work it prior to firing, the better your results. So sanding
w/ progressive grit papers, etc. will be worth the time invested.

What does it cost, i.e.,$ or =A3 per cubic centimetre?

There are two popular brands: Art Clay Silver and Precious Metal Clay
(PMC). Both companies sell a couple of formulations, some are low fire
or slow drying.

I use Art Clay Silver 650, which is a low temp fire and slower drying.
I can fire small pieces with a torch, or put larger pieces in my
kiln.

It is sold by the gram; the best prices on it I have found it at Fire
Mountian Gems.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/sear...rt+clay+silver

It appears to be an interesting substance and I should like to know more
about it, please,, if any of you experts can help.

Drop me an e-mail if you want book recommendations, etc! I'd be happy
to share what I've learned! Also, hit Google and type in "art clay
silver" or "precious metal clay" and you'll have more resources than
you can shake a stick at!

Amy

Needlepoint for Idiots? [email protected] Needlework 24 November 4th 06 12:30 PM
polishing revisited [email protected] Jewelry 3 April 1st 06 07:55 AM
Polishing Raane Jewelry 3 February 28th 04 04:16 PM
polishing my beads Beth Stubbs Polymer Clay 8 November 3rd 03 10:52 AM