[Ganoksin] [Issue #138] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

Old October 1st 05, 04:48 PM
Ganoksin

Default [Ganoksin] [Issue #138] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

The Ganoksin Project
S i n c e 1 9 9 6
Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques
http://www.ganoksin.com

Imagine a world in which every person has free access to the sum of all
human knowledge. That's what we're doing. And we need your help.

Take action now and ensure that we can continue to provide the same
level of service you and thousands of people each day have come to
appreciate. With your financial support, the Orchid community will
continue to flourish and grow!

Please consider setting up an Orchid subscription account.

Donate: Safe, easy, secure!

http://www.ganoksin.com/donate

Thank You!
Hanuman

In This Edition:

1. New Heights, New Widths - The Jewelry Of Cynthia Eid
2. Design Briefing - A Ticket to Successful Jewelry Collections
3. Comparing the Practical Application of Three Welding Systems
4. Making White Gold, Pearl & Diamond Ring Using Welding Technology
5. Step by Step - Black and White Ribbons
6. Preparing the Foredom AllSet for Cutting Bearings in Prongs
7. Quick Tip - Slicing Wax Slabs

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/tip_sear.htm

1. New Heights, New Widths - The Jewelry Of Cynthia Eid
By Nina Graci

Standing in her forming studio, surrounded by hammers, stakes, and
photo equipment, metalsmith Cynthia Eid is experiencing a moment of
excitement. Even though she has finessed metal into altered states for
30 years, this decisive moment is always riveting. A sheet of sterling
silver gleams on the workbench while Eid ponders its destiny. Her next
move will, through muscle and mastery, transform it into jewelry,
hollowware, or Judaica - almost at the drop of a hammer. But long
before this sterling silver adorns a body, a table, or a synagogue, Eid
must listen to the metal....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/eid.htm

2. Design Briefing - A Ticket to Successful Jewelry Collections
By Barbara Schmidt

In times of increased price competition and global producers,
cooperation with designers is also an important factor for large
jewelry companies in order to develop new collections in a rapid and
targeted manner. Increasing numbers of companies are attempting to
sharpen their profiles by drawing on the services of (freelance)
designers. Unfortunately, very few of the jewelry designers have an
education that equips them for this kind of service. Simple rules and a
check program for constructive cooperation facilitate the work and
increase the probability that both sides will experience success....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...n-briefing.htm

3. Comparing the Practical Application of Three Welding Systems
By Gary Dawson

AJM Magazine asked me to perform a comparative analysis of three
welding systems performance in several different precious metal welding
applications. I was to analyze the PUK 2 spot welder, which was
developed by Lampert Tools USA Inc. and supplied to me by SEP Jewelry
Tools of Chicago; the Mini Pulse III from Aelectronic Bonding Inc.
(ABI) in Cranston, Rhode Island; and a laser welder. (I used my
Starweld by Rofin-Baasel, which I purchased from Manufacturing
Technologies in San Diego , but the results presented in this article
are accurate for most laser welders used in the jewelry industry.)...

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...plications.htm

4. Making White Gold, Pearl & Diamond Ring Using Welding Technology
By Mark B. Mann

After preparing the wax, casting and pre-finishing, the ring was
prepared for tack welding. There are 5 parts to be tacked ? 2 small
white gold settings and 3 white gold pearl posts. At each location for
tacking the wire posts, a ball bur was used to create a small
indentation slightly larger than the diameter of the wire....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...ng-wg-ring.htm

5. Step by Step - Black and White Ribbons
By Cynthia Eid

With a simple corrugation tool and basic metalsmithing skills, you can
make these great earrings. The newest "toy" in my studio is a Microfold
Brake. I've been having a wonderful time learning what can be done with
this tool, experimenting and making metalwork that combines
microfolding with my other favorite techniques. I've used the Microfold
Brake for bracelets, earrings, pins, boxes, a teapot, and a Hanukkah
menorah, yet I feel like I'm just getting started with my explorations!
I find the immediacy of the tool very alluring. I also like the way the
rippling corrugation can be either organic - or geometric looking,
depending on how it's manipulated and finished....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/bandw-ribbons.htm

6. Preparing the Foredom AllSet for Cutting Bearings in Prongs
By Mark B. Mann

The Foredom AllSet Master Stone-Setting Kit includes prong, pave,
channel-cutting guides and a fixture that attaches it to a Foredom No.
30 handpiece. The kit is capable of quickly being set-up in a multitude
of ways to complete a variety of stone setting tasks. This article
covers setting-up Foredom's AllSet Master Stone Setting Kit to cut
consistent bearings for an in-line bracelet.

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nena...t-bearings.htm

7. Quick Tip - Slicing Wax Slabs
By Kate Wolf

Don't you wish you could just karate chop your way through all those
thick wax slabs until you had the perfect size piece for a project?
Well, there may be a way that's even better -- and easier on your
hands. A drill press (either a full size, miniature, or Foredom) with
an end mill or cylinder bur can thin down wax slabs quickly and
accurately. Position the bottom of the cylinder bur or end mill
slightly higher than the desired thickness of the finished wax....

Complete Story:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/slicing-wax.htm

Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelery makers, The Orchid
forums at http://www.ganoksin.com/orchid

The Ganoksin Project (http://www.ganoksin.com) is the largest virtual
single information source for searchable archived content for jewelry
and metals in the world. Its 5,500 Orchid members foster sharing,
support community, enhance productivity and encourage studio safety, by
promoting education in the jewelry and metal arts worldwide.