Heat Setting (DH's ~ you got to love 'em)

Old August 20th 03, 04:45 AM
Charlotte Hippen

Default Heat Setting (DH's ~ you got to love 'em)

I instructions on how to heat set my labels to make the ink permanent
(makers say to do so, but don't give instructions).

Here's the story: DH was heading out to get a surprise for DS for his
progress in potty training. While he was out I asked if he try to find me a
yellow pigma marker for making a few labels, and even sent him with one so
he knew what he was looking for. He didn't feel like running to the LQS and
there is a JoAnns and a Hobby Lobby right were he was going he thought he'd
try there. I told him that I doubt JoAnns would have it, I think they sell
only the packages which I already had so it was up to him if he wanted to
check. I told him that I wasn't sure what Hobby Lobby had, but they were
probably the better bet. Well, he went to JoAnns and asked the first middle
aged employee he saw for help. He showed her the marker I had sent with him
and told her what I'd be using it for. She sold him a pack of fabric
markers that "would work". They are the packs of fabric markers that you
buy for decorating cloth shoes, canvas bags, etc. Not what I had in mind,
but he was willing to go rather than forced, and was so proud of himself for
finding something that would work that I thought I'd bite my tongue and at
least give them a try. The problem is the label says to heat set to make
permanent, but doesn't give any info on how. I've never done anything like
this before. How do I heat set them ~ dryer or the iron ~ what temp and how
long? Help please!!

TIA!!!!
Charlotte

Old August 20th 03, 06:06 AM
Medium Gnome

My first thought is to do test pieces on the same type of fabric that your
label is going to be. Write on the fabric what is to be done and even
record these instructions incase they get washed off. For example, piece

Old August 20th 03, 11:24 AM
AliceW

Gotta give the man credit, though. I would think heat from the iron would
do it, but the reason for my reply is to comment on something you said -
"not what I had in mind". It reminded me of my D-departed-MIL who would
always use that expression. We sometimes joked when something went really
wrong and would say "not what she had in mind". We actually thought this
would make a good comment on her headstone, but we didn't think her mum
would appreciate the humor. She never critized anything anyone did, but
when she said "that's not what I had in mind" you knew exactly what she
meant. She was a fine lady and a good friend. And I miss her.

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old August 20th 03, 01:51 PM
Medium Gnome

Thanks for mentioning this MIL comment. I think my life will be better if I
start using this.

Med. Gnome