So many colors!

Old December 15th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default So many colors!

I just got a chart called Merriment by Carole Gordon, it's nothing but
candy canes with a green border around it. Very Christmas-y. It's
very real looking, almost like a photograph, even has shadows. Now,
candy canes are red and white, plus the green border, plus the
shadows, which are grey and black. That's five colors (red, white,
green, grey, black). I can't believe it, this chart calls for 65
colors! I thought this was going to be easy! It's 10X10" if I were
to stitch it on the suggested 18 ct white aida. Whatever I stitch it
on, it's 180 X 180 stitches. I'm going to have a headache when I do
this!

Audrey in Chicago-land
Old December 15th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

" ) writes:
I just got a chart called Merriment by Carole Gordon, it's nothing but
candy canes with a green border around it. Very Christmas-y. It's
very real looking, almost like a photograph, even has shadows. Now,
candy canes are red and white, plus the green border, plus the
shadows, which are grey and black. That's five colors (red, white,
green, grey, black). I can't believe it, this chart calls for 65
colors! I thought this was going to be easy! It's 10X10" if I were
to stitch it on the suggested 18 ct white aida. Whatever I stitch it
on, it's 180 X 180 stitches. I'm going to have a headache when I do
this!

Audrey in Chicago-land

Audrey, it sounds like a computer generated pattern. I have done lots of
them. Dont be frightened; it is just one stitch at a time, like any
other pattern. One clue as to whether it might be a computer generated
patterns. Does it have a lot of "confetti" stitches? One stitch of a
color here, and another one there? Look specifically where there is a
big change of color, say from light to dark. This is one place computers
produce a lot of confetti stitches If you want any advice, let me know. Jim.

Old December 16th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Dec 15, 9:02*pm, Jangchub wrote:

Just my two cents, but with something having such detail and
shadowing, I personally think it would look much better on a tea
stained color, not white. *I'm not a fan of red and white. *If you use
Aida it could be Khaki or Oatmeal, but white?

Tea-dyed, khaki and oatmeal would be the absolute *last* colors I'd
use! Especially for something Christmassy. Just goes to show how
different tastes are.

That is a lot of colors for such a simple-sounding design, though.
Got a link???

Joan
Old December 16th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

That is a lot of colors for such a simple-sounding design, though. Got a link???
Joan

Here's the link to the candy cane pattern:
http://www.shinysunscrossstitching.c...ole_Gordon.jpg

How do you make a URL link here? Sorry, I don't know how to do that.

Also, it's on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MERRIMENT---CAND...13124008r33111
with these details: There are no difficult stitches or
backstitching, ONLY WHOLE STITCHES ARE USED Well, that's *some*
comfort! Esp since Aida is suggested. I may actually use Aida this
time, since 18 ct will be alot easier to see, rather than stitching
over 2 on 36 count.

You were right, Jim, it's a computer generated pattern. I have
PCStitchPro, which will use 40 colors charting a panda bear against a
white background ;P , so I realize that computer generated patterns
will do that. At least in PCStitchPro, you have the option of scaling
down the number of colors used. When I'm charting a picture in, I
just tell it to use less colors. And yes again, there are lots of
confetti stitches in Merriment. Just one row of the green border uses
Pistachio Green-Dark, Forest Green-Very Dark, Forest Green, Pistachio
Green-Ultra Dark, Kelly Green, Grey Green-Med, Baby Green-Med, Celadon
Green-Light.....oh, my!

Just my two cents, but with something having such detail and shadowing, I personally think it would look much better on a tea stained color, not white. I'm not a fan of red and white. If you use Aida it could be Khaki or Oatmeal, but white?
Tea-dyed, khaki and oatmeal would be the absolute *last* colors I'd use! Especially for something Christmassy. Just goes to show how different tastes are.

The fabric color isn't going to be a huge issue, since every single
stitch of fabric is stitched over. There is not one single empty
thread showing on this chart. They suggest white, I'll probably go
with that. I think that will look good, all the thread colors will
stand out against it, and will be easier to see while stitching. I
*am* a fan of red and white, which is why I got this chart in the
first place.

Audrey

Old December 16th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

" ) writes:
You were right, Jim, it's a computer generated pattern. I have
PCStitchPro, which will use 40 colors charting a panda bear against a
white background ;P , so I realize that computer generated patterns
will do that. At least in PCStitchPro, you have the option of scaling
down the number of colors used. When I'm charting a picture in, I
just tell it to use less colors. And yes again, there are lots of
confetti stitches in Merriment. Just one row of the green border uses
Pistachio Green-Dark, Forest Green-Very Dark, Forest Green, Pistachio
Green-Ultra Dark, Kelly Green, Grey Green-Med, Baby Green-Med, Celadon
Green-Light.....oh, my!

(snip)
Audrey

I suggest it is dangerous making generaliztions about the number of colors
with computer generated patterns. I have done a number of these, but I
dont pretend I really know what I am doing. It is very much a case of
suck it and see, with me. A couple of years ago, when I knew even less
than I know now, I produced a pattern for someone else. She wanted only a
few colors. I tried the numbers she suggested, and the pattern was
completely lifeless. Finally I put in 90 colors, the maximum allowed in
my version of Pattern Maker. The pattern came to life! It turned out
that there was a lot more background than foreground, and the program
allocates colors equally. So the background got preference, and there
were no bright colors. What she said she was going to do (I never
actually heard if she stitched it), was to combine the 90 color pattern
for the foreground, with one of the lower number of colors for the
background. So I am chary about laying down any hard and fast rules for
producing these sorts of patterns. Jim.

Old December 16th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Dec 16, 2:43*pm, " wrote:

Here's the link to the candy cane pattern:http://www.shinysunscrossstitching.c...-_Carole_Gordo...

How do you make a URL link here? *

You did it just fine!

You must be *lots* younger than I am...I think my eyes would go
berserk if I stitched that pattern! It does look fun, though.
I can also see why it would have 65 different colors, since there's a
*lot* of shading in it. The green border looks like it might be holly
leaves????

The fabric color isn't going to be a huge issue, since every single
stitch of fabric is stitched over. *

*Definitely* a time to use aida, if ever I saw one.

As for the confetti stitches, you may be able to eliminate some of
them without changing the look of the design, like if they have a
"winter white" in amongst the plain white, you could try just going
with the plain. It will be a fun experiment.

You *are* going to keep us posted on your progress, right? And have
this done by Christmas??????

Joan
Old December 16th 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

wrote in message
[...]

It is supposed to be FUN!!!

Enjoy each and every stitch!

I have one design that I have been working on for over seven years. There
are thousands of confetti stitches and way over 150 colors.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old December 17th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mavia Beaulieu

wrote in message
[...]

WOW!! That picture made me jump back and refocus my eyes! I bet it will
look really nice when stitched! Good luck!

Mavia

Old December 17th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Thanks for all your thoughts, everyone, lots of good tips to think
about. Like:

As for the confetti stitches, you may be able to eliminate some of them without changing the look of the design, like if they have a "winter white" in amongst the plain white, you could try just going with the plain. That's true, I'm going to consider that. Only stitchers can tell the difference between white and winter white and snow white. And no other stitchers are going to see this once it's done. I don't know any other cross stitchers!

The green border looks like it might be holly leaves???? Oh, yeah! I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, Joan. I was originally thinking I'd just use one shade of green for the whole border, but that won't work if they're holly leaves. Altho, no one will know...... Except me, that is.

You *are* going to keep us posted on your progress, right? And have this done by Christmas?????? Of course I will keep you posted, and of course I'm going to have it done by Christmas.....I just don't know *which* Christmas! ;P Not this one, that's for sure.

Audrey

http://cgi.ebay.com/MERRIMENT---CAND...s-Stitch-Patte...
[...]

Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.- Hide quoted text -

Colors [email protected] Yarn 2 April 2nd 08 05:39 AM
Ot about colors Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Needlework 116 January 30th 06 10:42 PM
About colors Pirjo Ilvesvuori Needlework 2 March 25th 04 06:25 PM
Colors NoraBalcer Yarn 4 October 31st 03 02:55 PM