Thread

Old February 19th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Thread

There have been many questions posed here about various threads. I just
received my newsletter from Superior Threads and thought I'd share. Before
anyone jumps on me for advertising, I have NAYY. This part of the letter
is" reprinted with permission from Bob Purcell, Superior Threads,
www.Superiorthreads.com"
Gen

Education: Don't always believe the labels
We've discussed before about the all-too-common inaccurate label problem.
If you have compared three different brands of 50 wt. cotton thread, you
have most likely noticed that they are all different sizes. The differences
could be due to inaccurate labeling, differences in thread processing, or a
combination of both. Regardless what the label says, a high quality
non-glazed cotton thread will have very low lint, a smooth, tight twist, no
slubs (clumps of lint wound into the thread), and a nice smooth appearance.
A low quality cotton thread might start out with similar fibers but due to
budget processing, will have more lint, a looser twist, and will not be
consistently smooth. The biggest clue to the quality of the thread is the
price. It just isn't possible to have a high quality product at a super
budget price.
Twenty years ago, the term Egyptian cotton was commonly used as a generic
term (similar to how we use the term Kleenex for tissue) for quality cotton
fibers, regardless of origin. This generic term is no longer legally
allowed because the Egyptian cotton growers protect their name.
Unfortunately, many ignore that law and continue to use the term Egyptian
cotton although the origin is not Egypt. One brand of cotton thread proudly
boasts on their labels, "Egyptian cotton. Made in the U.S.A." Huh???
The best way to distinguish quality is not by the label, but by using the
product. There is more to a product than the fiber type. Processing
techniques add as much or more to the finished product quality as does the
raw material. Following is a list of processing terms which affect the
quality of cotton thread.
Mercerized. Today, nearly all cotton thread is mercerized. If a label says
only "mercerized cotton," it is probably because there is nothing else to
brag about (such as long staple or extra long staple). Mercerizing is a
process of treating cotton thread with a solution, causing the fibers to
swell. This process allows the dye to better penetrate the fibers, thereby
increasing the luster. Today, all quality cotton thread is mercerized even
if the label does not say so. Labels can advertise only a limited amount of
information and stating that the cotton is mercerized is no longer most
important.
Staple. The length of the raw material fiber. The longer the staple, the
stronger the thread. If there is no mention of the staple length, assume it
is a regular (or short) staple thread. If it is long staple or extra long
staple, it will proudly state that fact.
Gassed. Gassing refers to passing a cotton thread at high speed through a
flame, burning off the excess fuzz in order to create a higher sheen.
"Gassed thread" does not sound very appealing so other terms have been
created such as "Polished Cotton" and "Silk Finish Cotton."
Glazed. Glazing involves heating the thread and then coating it with waxes,
starches, and other chemicals. Glazing results in a glossy thread with a
hard finish. Glazed thread is stiffer than unglazed thread and has a
wire-like look and feel. Most professionals do not recommend glazed threads
for machine work as the glaze rubs off and gums up the machine. Although
usually not labeled as such, glazed cottons are recommended for hand
quilting only.
Silk-finish. This is not a silk-wrapped cotton. This is a nice sounding
term for gassed cotton. See above.
Polished. Another term for gassed cotton. See above.
What's New
..
.. MasterPiece color cards are here. These are made with the actual thread
so no more guessing by looking at the computer screen or printed sheet. As
with all our color cards, we sell these at our cost of only $3.00.

All 50 colors of MasterPiece 600 yd. spools and most of the 3,000 yd.
cones are in stock. MasterPiece by Alex Anderson is a very smooth #50/2-ply
extra-long staple Egyptian cotton thread, similar to King Tut in quality,
but quite a bit finer. By the way, if you just read the above Education
portion, MasterPiece is mercerized, gassed/silk-finished/polished, and not
glazed. It is made for
* piecing
* applique
* detail quilting
* lacework
* bobbin thread
MasterPiece is available in 50 beautiful solid colors and in two spool
sizes: 600 yds. and 3,000 yds. It really is nature's finest thread.
MasterPiece is guaranteed to be the smoothest and cleanest non-glazed,
lightweight cotton thread you've ever used. Like all of our products,
MasterPiece is guaranteed. Use it and love it or we'll buy it back. Here's
the link to the color chart: http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/63

Old February 19th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I also subscribe to their newsletters. I love the information I get
from them. Also love their thread. NAYY

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

.

Old February 19th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for posting this information!
Barbara in SC

Old February 20th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Yes, thank you. I just feel so smart now I don't think I can stand myself.
Polly

Old February 20th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Looking back at my post, it sure does sound sassy. I wanted to say that I
enjoyed learning more about thread and do thank you for giving us a better
insight. Since Mississippi grows lots of cotton, I had often wondered what
the term "Egyptian cotton" meant and why I enjoyed stitching with it -
usually. Now I know. Polly

"Polly Esther" wrote Yes, thank you. I just feel so smart now I don't
think I can stand myself.
Polly

Old February 20th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly I laughed so much at that first comment I had to stop reading the
posts... the laughter turned into a major coughing fit...

but it was worth it!

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old February 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks for this post Gen. I've been so confusted about threads, weights
and types that I bought a book about them. Will print this out and keep
it inside the book with the rest of the info.

Patti in Seattle

"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater,
suggest that he wear a tail."
…Fran Lebowitz…

Old February 21st 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Polly,

the thing I love about you is your sass!

You are a riot!

(I said sass not @ss..... giggle, laugh, cough, spew!!!!!!!

Carol in TX
need therapy? make a quilt!