Reclaiming clay - how-to?

Old July 4th 05, 03:14 PM
Lori

Well, then, here's the link to my young students' work -
http://snipurl.com/g0ms

The projects from the spring session disappeared so fast that I didn't
get a chance to take shots of those.

The first project is always either a dug-out box or patchwork bowl.
This allows them to become familiar with the clay.

Some of the other projects we tackle a

Soft-slab cylinders
Hard-slab boxes
Pinch pots, bowls and enclosed forms
Wind chimes
Simple sculptures
Paddled pillow boxes

We do a lot of texturing. The patchwork bowls are nothing more than
highly textured slabs that are randomly torn apart (not cut, but torn)
and laid into a form (I use wooden bowls) then the inside smoothed over
and the "seams" sealed with a rubber rib, and feet added.

Colored slips and stains for resist patterns are really fun - I
encourage them to bring leaves or paper cut-outs to use. Roll the
leaves/cut-outs lightly into the slabs and 'paint' over with colored
slip then pull up whatever they used to resist it and slump it into a
form and add feet when it's firm enough to do so.

I give them the basics - we make specific projects but WHAT they choose
to do with what I've given them is up to them. For instance, a dug-out
box doesn't have to be square - this last session I had a volcano, a
wedge of cheese, a rhino with a bird on it's back, a lady-bug, a
pyramid, a set of kopechi dolls, a turtle - children are simply
amazing!

Elizabeth's box was a nice surprise - I hadn't shown them how to make
lids for their boxes - she figured it out on her own then added the
sprigs using a Sculpey push mold for all the faces.

We all enjoy ourselves and learn from each other. There's no greater
joy than when they come in early, go to the cupboard to get their tool
buckets and dive right in.

For the returning students, I ask them for a list of projects they want
to accomplish and provide the assistance when they run into a problem.

As for the glazing, they do all that themselves. That's when they
finally understand the ninth commandment in the document we have posted
all over the studio:

The Ten Commandments for Potters

1. Thou shalt NOT make dust.

2. Thou shalt NOT pick up greenware by the lip, handle or other fragile
area.

3. Thou shalt NOT touch projects that do not belong to thee.

4. Thou shalt put all supplies back WHERE THEY BELONG AND CLEAN THE
AREA (Refer to #1) before departing.

5. Thou shalt let stain dry thoroughly before glazing.

6. Thou shalt practice on the wheel at least once a week for more than
10 minutes.

7. Thou shalt CARVE THY INITIALS OR MARK in the bottom of thy projects.

8. Thou shalt place glazed ware in kiln room on the proper shelf.

9. Thou shalt believe thy teacher that the silly pink glaze or stain on
thy pot will fire blue.

10. Thou shalt trust thy teacher.

Hope this helps!

Take care,

Lori

Old July 4th 05, 05:08 PM
Stephanie Coleman

Lori, I clicked on your link and got an error message. I am very
interested in seeing your work with kids..I just got done teaching a group
of kids (44 of them) from one of the "I have a dream Program" projects.
Luckily I had a few adult helpers because 44 is a lot of kids, even in 24
kid groups. I'll send you some of our photos

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579
oups.com...

Old July 4th 05, 05:18 PM
Stephanie Coleman

Are you still going to post pictures of your stamps?

thanks!

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579
"Bubbles" wrote in message

"dkat" wrote in message
Any clay that I take off of the pot when throwing gets put on plaster to
take out excess water so this just has to be wedged up. I just make a
giant
marble bit of clay, push something interesting in it, and as I'm doing so
I'm pinching it so that it makes something of a handle. You can also
carve
a design into one or both ends a tube of clay. This is really hard to
describe. It doesn't really matter what you push into it or how you form
it. It is a hit and miss proposition to some degree. Stamps that I have
put a lot of work into don't work in the end because they are too busy
and
just look messy. Some of my more boring looking stamps make the more
interesting designs when used to make multiple patterns. It lets you
give
texture to pieces easily. As an example - take the marble bit of clay,
roll
it out to a short sausage shape, carve off little pie shapes in four to
six
corners to leave a raised pattern on the end. Let this dry, bisque fire
and
then make a field of flowers in a plate in one corner or section (you can
make a center to the flower design by making a stamp that is just pointed
a round end of the size you want that has had a ball point pen or pensil
making multiple little indents.

If I think of it, I will take some photos and post them but it really is
just open to your imagination.

I see what you mean now, Donna. But I would really love to see a pic of
those you have made to get some inspiration :-)

Marianne

Old July 4th 05, 05:22 PM
Stephanie Coleman

Do you charge for your workshops? May I be so brazen as to ask how much? I
am doing some as a volunteer for a group in town, but have requests from
more well heeled groups to do some small workshops too.

thanks

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579
oups.com...

Old July 4th 05, 11:29 PM
Lori

Try this one Stephanie - I don't know why it didn't work the first
time. Gremlins, I suppose.......

http://snipurl.com/fm24

Yes, there is a charge for the class - it's part of our Community
Education program at the community college. We try to keep the fees
low to accommodate the area residents - it's not a well-healed area -
$65 for an 8-week class, one night a week for 2 hours each night, ages
8-12, class limit is 8 (but, I've been known to overload the class by a
few.....). They're guaranteed 5 completed projects, but most of them
will take home a few more than that. )

The fee sounds a little low - I admit that. When we first started
researching similar classes, the range was from $79-$159 at other area
colleges for the same offering. Because we're still in the rebuilding
stage of our Community Education program (we lost that director several
years ago, and have finally convinced the "powers that be" that we need
it back), we decided to keep the fee on the low side for now.

I'll be offering a 2-week-end children's workshop for a group of 12
home-schooled students later this year. I haven't really come to grips
with the cost structure on that one yet, though. It will focus on
digging, preparing and pit-firing native clay. A local farmer friend
has a field laying fallow that has a very large clay deposit, and has
agreed to let us 'mine' it. The only real cost will be my time.

I can certainly let you the particulars when we get things firmed up a
bit.

Loved your face jug pictures, by the way! Especially the huge smiles
on the kids - that's what it's about, isn't it?

Take care,

Lori

Old July 4th 05, 11:41 PM
Steve Mills

Marianne,

Sorry to take so long in responding; I've been at the Potters Festival
in Wales(UK)

In article , Bubbles
writes

"Steve Mills" wrote in message
I dry out all my trimmings etc., then put them into a large bucket with
lots of water and mix it up with a heavy duty paint mixer in a drill, I
also add a bit of Cider Vinegar to help it sour quickly.

I've never heard of using vinegar in clay before. How do you mean that it
sours quickly? How much do you add? Tell me more, please!

The Vinegar promotes the growth of organic matter in the clay, which in
turn grows and dies and decomposes, this adds to the plasticity of the
clay and makes it wonderful to work with.
The Old traditional Potters used to pee on their clay heap to promote
the same effect. I prefer the smell of Cider!
I add a small cupful to a 15 Litre (plus) bucket.

The next step is to pour the slop into a trouser leg, preferably one
made of man-made fibres (they don't rot), with the bottom either sewn up
or tied in a knot, and hang it up to sweat dry. When it's a bit too firm
on the outside, it's a bit soft inside, so I peal of the leg, cut it
into lumps and bag it. When I need some I wedge & knead enough for the
day and use it.

I did that before I got my board made, but now I am trying the board method.
Problem with hanging socks, is that they drip! :-)

This is true, but I stick a bowl or bucket under it to catch the drips

Steve

I know this sounds like a lot of work but it truly isn't; just a few
minutes each day and no BIG effort. Also a hanging *sock* of clay takes
up much less room than a full drying board.

I love to work reclaiming clay and wedging - it is a kind of meditation for
me - so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

Marianne

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 5th 05, 02:04 AM
Stephanie Coleman

I will love to here more about your pit firing and mining experience. I
live in Georgia, so we are up to our ears in red clay...not too plastic but
it could be an interesting experience!

Thanks for the workshop info.

--
Stephanie Coleman
University of Phoenix Online

alt email:
706.467.9579
oups.com...

Old July 5th 05, 02:06 AM
Stephanie Coleman

Tell us about the Potters Festival in Wales(UK), please!

--
Stephanie Coleman

Old July 5th 05, 03:10 AM
barefoot ceramics limited

Yes, do tell - I presume you mean this
http://www.internationalceramicsfestival.org/ ?

.... oh and I guess you know that there's a ceramics fair at Tredegar
House, Newport, South Wales, UK, this weekend.

http://www.newport.gov.uk/_dc/index.... ntid=n_074304

Old July 5th 05, 05:11 AM
dkat

Yes I will - I just have to figure out how to do it in a reasonable way.
Seeing all the stamps themselves is way to much to take in at once and you
can't see what they do really since they are the negative and are in general
meant to be used in multiples... I guess I'll just take a picture of a
sample and then do a demo slab with an assortment. It has been busy but I
will get to it soon. Again, they are nothing special and it is the ones the
appear the most boring that end up making the nicest overall look.
Donna